Low light sunglasses

golfman44

6x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year (GOTY)
I have copper 580g since I wanted just one pair for all of my fishing (90% of which is Western Washington rivers). Onna recent mexico trip, literally every guide wore the blue mirror Costa lenses. For those of you with multiple lenses, when would you specifically choose yours over copper? Adding lenses is just $30 or something, so considering investing in an additional pair or two....

Nick Clayton

I have copper 580g since I wanted just one pair for all of my fishing (90% of which is Western Washington rivers). Onna recent mexico trip, literally every guide wore the blue mirror Costa lenses. For those of you with multiple lenses, when would you specifically choose yours over copper? Adding lenses is just $30 or something, so considering investing in an additional pair or two....

I have 4 pair of Costa Fantails. Blue mirror for offshore open ocean, green mirror for the sound, copper just for general purposes (I wear these the least) and the Sunrise Silver Mirror for early mornings, late evenings, and dark cloudy days.

For me personally I like the advantages each provide for their specific application. The copper are my least favorite. The blue mirror are incredible on the ocean and not bad on the sound either, but the green mirror really shine on the sound.

I will say that I find myself looking for any excuse to wear the Sunrise Silver Mirror. On days when it's cloudy and overcast all day long they truly excel. Now when I hit the sound I always have them and the green mirror. If the sun comes out switching to the green mirror is a huge advantage. The SSM quickly become uncomfortable for my eye in any brighter conditions.

Lots of great options for quality glasses. Maui Jim makes some great stuff, and I have a pair that were my work glasses for the ocean for a season until I discovered the 580g. Since then my MJs just sit in my tying desk. I should just sell them.

Thrasybulus

The New Fly Fisherman
20190209_105108.jpg
When the sun gets bright, I put on these RCI Optics H780 lenses. I keep them around my neck while wearing the Costa Sunrise Silver Mirrors in the morning. They seem like good overall lenses for upland game bird hunting too.

Denny Wagenman

When I fished the Upper Columbia with Jack Mitchell he told me to buy a pair of yellow saftey glasses for late evening fishing. Worked like a charm in low light. Still use them on other low light conditions Cost $7.00!!

Thrasybulus

The New Fly Fisherman
This video summary is really helpful.

iPhish

Got a pair of the sunrise silver from costa this winter. Absolutely love them. My other pair it green or blue mirror with amber lenses. The sunrise lenses really change the game early and late. I’ve tried on the smith low light igniter and like the lenses as well, but the 580g lenses can’t be beat in my opinion. Great durability and scratch resistance

garyk

You folks buying off the shelf non-RX sunglasses are SO fortunate!

I've been using SMITH RX for years...but needed something better for low light and lenses that maintained true color (waterfowling).

I found it at Tactical RX. https://www.tacticalrx.com/prescription-cid-97

I sent them my SMITH Padre frames which they fitted with 10% tint brown lenses with map slice 2.5X bifocals. I can wear these in all but the most intense sun (like Baja) and drive at night with them.

golfman44

6x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year (GOTY)
You folks buying off the shelf non-RX sunglasses are SO fortunate!

I've been using SMITH RX for years...but needed something better for low light and lenses that maintained true color (waterfowling).

I found it at Tactical RX. https://www.tacticalrx.com/prescription-cid-97

I sent them my SMITH Padre frames which they fitted with 10% tint brown lenses with map slice 2.5X bifocals. I can wear these in all but the most intense sun (like Baja) and drive at night with them.
LASIK was a savior. Best money I've spent in my entire life. 20/15 vision and no more contacts.

garyk

LASIK was a savior. Best money I've spent in my entire life. 20/15 vision and no more contacts.
I've watched the LASIK process twice. Truly a modern miracle seeing folks go from functionally blind to normal vision in just a few minutes. Watching other patients come out of the recovery room and seeing the world without glasses...the look on their face and words. Priceless.

IF LASIK would fix me, I'd be first in line.

Latest posts