Seeking donations for youth fly fishing camp

keekster4504

@bhilton and I lead a week long fly fishing summer camp for middle schoolers every year through the school we teach at. Five or so years back we bought a fleet of Cabela's rod and reel set ups, but the rod butts have started coming unglued, and we've got a lot of duct taped/super glued rod tips at this point. It's definitely time to update our gear, but our administration isn't super physched on dropping another $800+ on new set ups. We thought maybe there might be some extra gear floating around WFF that people would be willing to donate to a good cause.

Here's what we're looking for:
  • 4 or 5 wt rods and reels (up to 8 of them, but anything helps, ideally 8'6")
  • Flies (we mostly use elk hair caddis, parachute adams, and royal wulffs in size 12-14 but would take others)
  • Youth life jackets
  • A few small nets
Thanks in advance! Here some pictures from a previous camp to warm all your hearts :D

IMG-1461.JPGIMG-8499.JPG

keekster4504

I don't have spare gear, but I have GooglePay and Venmo.
@dld just to clarify—if you would rather sell used gear rather than donating, we'd definitely be interested. We'd have to talk to our business office about that--they can be a little finicky with stuff like that. If you want to donate money, that may be tough to orchestrate for us (we'd have to talk to the business office about that, too... there's a lot of red tape involved :confused:), but we appreciate the intent!

Last edited:

dld

@dld just to clarify—if you would rather sell used gear rather than donating, we'd definitely be interested. We'd have to talk to our business office about that--they can be a little finicky with stuff like that. If you want to donate money, that may be tough to orchestrate for us (we'd have to talk to the business office about that, too... there's a lot of red tape involved :confused:), but we appreciate the intent!
I want to donate cash, but if it is a hassle, I could donate new equipment. I'd ask for you to choose specific items that you want and have them shipped to you, or picked up by you (depending on whether you wish to support local).

PM me and we can discuss budget and specifics.

Ryan Janos

May be that a couple of the lurkers in the Rod Building forum could spruce up the original Cabelas outfits for pretty cheap. Sounds like the tip top issue can be resolved with some 5-min epoxy. The real seats can be salvaged and the corks replaced for ~$15/rod. Wish I still lived in the 206.... PM incoming on donating flies.

Thanks for getting the next generation hooked!

Poff

@bhilton and I lead a week long fly fishing summer camp for middle schoolers every year through the school we teach at. Five or so years back we bought a fleet of Cabela's rod and reel set ups, but the rod butts have started coming unglued, and we've got a lot of duct taped/super glued rod tips at this point. It's definitely time to update our gear, but our administration isn't super physched on dropping another $800+ on new set ups. We thought maybe there might be some extra gear floating around WFF that people would be willing to donate to a good cause.

Here's what we're looking for:
  • 4 or 5 wt rods and reels (up to 8 of them, but anything helps, ideally 8'6")
  • Flies (we mostly use elk hair caddis, parachute adams, and royal wulffs in size 12-14 but would take others)
  • Youth life jackets
  • A few small nets
Thanks in advance! Here some pictures from a previous camp to warm all your hearts :D

View attachment 191251View attachment 191252
I would recommend contacting Cabela’s re the rods you have as they would probably replace them for you.

Bonsai

Jerry
Send me a PM with your contact info. I want to talk to you. I may have a couple of rods and a few other things to donate to the cause.

Last edited:

Latest posts