Seeking donations for youth fly fishing camp

JE

Donors Choose is a great way to get funding.

I'd also check into industry grant matching opportunities. Companies like Microsoft will match their employee's volunteer hours with money that goes right to your school programs - do some recruiting (MS does $25.00 per volunteer hour - that adds up quick).

camtheflyman

Not sponsored
I have an 8' 4 weight that I would love to pass on. Send me a PM with the address and I'll send it your way if its not too short

K_meyers

I think being able to teach youth how to fly fish is so valuable, not just for the sake of learning to fish. For them to step outside and slow down to see their surroundings, to get away from the normal has to be fun to watch. Cool thing you are doing. PM sent.

Bonsai

Jerry
If the weather allows and my back is feeling a little better I hope to be going to the show in Lynnwood next weekend. I will be dropping of a bunch of flies for a young friend in Shoreline and a couple of fly rods for you.

Mark Dankel

In my house there is a rule: buy a toy, same amount goes to charity. This is one of many examples of an opportunity. I know there are garages, closets and basements full of perfectly good fly fishing (and other) gear, some of it never even used, When I die, I do not want to explain to my maker why I had hundreds, maybe thousands of $$ in unused stuff sitting in my closet. Pay-it-forward is not just a movie, it's a lifestyle. Good on all of y'all that already know that.

Last edited:

keekster4504

Well folks, last week eight middle schoolers were introduced to fly fishing. We ended up getting almost all the kids into fish, but that didn't stop all 8 of them from having a great time on the river. The little rainbows and cutthroats of the S Fork Snoqualmie proved to be eager participants in their learning :)

I wanted to thank everyone who donated gear or flies to us--it made a huge difference and we really couldn't have done it without you!

At the end of the week, I withheld their end-of-the-day snack until they told me one thing they had learned through doing (rather than me just talking at them) about fly fishing. Here are some of their takeaways:

"Don't take too much line out or you won't be able to keep it all in the air"
"Don't take your eyes off the fly or you'll miss the strike"
"When a fish eats your fly keep the line tight but not too tight"
"Sometimes reeling takes too long and pulling the line in through your fingers keeps the fish on the line better"
"Give your backcast plenty of time or you'll whip the fly off" (some of them are still working on that one :p)
"Be patient--don't be too quick to assume a hole is fished out"
"Check your knots a lot!"
And, probably most important... "Fly fishing is fun!"

IMG-9415.JPGIMG-9416.JPGIMG-9419.JPGIMG-9433.JPG

Latest posts