Fly rod tube project

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I have this 100 years old greenwood, lacewood? fly rod...I decided to make a bamboo case for it...It's still in progress...velour lined hunk of timber bamboo...still have the closure to make out of a leather tab and a antler bone button...thinking of carving into the button a bit ala schrimshaw-esque-ness...the ties are shoe strings here...they are temporary untill I find a good color of grained fabric ribbon...I am kinda making it up as I work on it...so I justify the appearance as "faux antiqued" . ;) rod tube 1.jpg rod tube 2.jpg Rod tube 3.jpg Rod tube 3.jpg

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
A venerable rod & case worthy of one another. The old family bamboo rods I have are still tied into the original "internal" tubes (for lack of a better word). The tubes are stored in the multiple pockets of the roll-up canvas "case" Dad made after he returned from WWII (a year or so before my first breath :D.). I have no doubt that your rod tube will be a work of art upon completion, Skip.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
almost done...decided to carve into tube a little decoration ...strap the tube for closure instead of a leather and bone button...still working on the inside rod ties...I have to say ...leather working ain't my thing...but it was fun looking at all the possibilities at Tandy in Portland...

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Nice, Skip. I need one for my greenheart rod..where did you get the bamboo culm? I made one awhile back out of bamboo flooring that's kinda cool, but hard work to make it six sided..
Well I was going to go to the Bamboo place in Forest Grove OR...but we go to estate sales and I found a 6' chunk that I bought for $5...just fortunate i guess.. I am going to make another and from what I have learned it will be better...I made a jig for the band saw but found it to be more difficult than expected...next time a tablesaw jig ...they are not of uniform diameter of course ...and the question always needs to be considered..."move the material or the tool?"

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
this thing is done...except the carving...might silver leaf or powder guild it?...will let it lie a while and then reconsider anything else...silver seems the route i will take...might clean up the carving too....though my intent was to keep it "sketchy"...might get a few more dremel attachments...a lot less expensive than buying new high quality carving gouges Rod tube done.jpg

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
That turned out really nice -- is that the natural color on the exterior or did you apply some sort of finish?
went to an estate sale ...a house was jam packed with decor stuff...a gay couple suffering from "horror vacuii" a discriptive term for Egyption decorations with no negative space...so they had stuff everywhere including some boutique -ish bamboo...stained and distressed with paint and stuff...decided to grab it and leave the finish the way it was...