February Salon: Sea Run Cutthroat Flies

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
Baitfish Patterns on a #4 Gama B10S, about 3.5-3.75" long

A mixture of bucktail, craft fur, finn raccoon and assorted flash/UV for a neutrally buoyant baitfish with loads of action and a decent profile.

Olive/White natural
IMG_5726.jpg

Olive/Chartreuse/White
IMG_5727.jpg

Pink/Chartreuse/White
IMG_5728.jpg

They look bulky and fluffy when dry, but slim down pretty good when wet. The light, thin materials provide great action, are easy to cast, and keep a natural taper.

IMG_5729 (1).jpg

The cat approved of my use of bucktail
IMG_5725.jpg

I need to get a better camera

SquatchinSince86

Totally Unprofessional
I have one that I have been fiddling around with for a while. I started with the already deadly Jeff Delia's squid. From there it has evolved into the

DiscoSquid

20190203_141726.jpg

IMG_20181110_190911_036.jpg

20181215_123914.jpg

IMG_20190127_173523_453.jpg

It even comes in a top water flavor!
IMG_20181216_155633_660.jpgIMG_20181121_163941_039.jpg

It's easy to tie and fishes well. I do fish other flies but if I only could have one it would be the DiscoSquid.

Yes, it's a bugger.

Attachments

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
Chum fry pattern, using the same materials as it's bigger cousins above: Finn raccoon, bucktail, craft fur, and flash. At just under 2" it's a pretty good size comparison for the chum fry a few weeks after emergence, perhaps a little larger.

We're only a few weeks away from the beginnings of the emergence in some areas!

IMG_5730.jpg

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
Squid, #4 Gama B10S

The mantle is UV pearl and white ice dub covered with UV cure, which in turn acts as weight to give the fly a darting action on the retrieve. Squid flies are great because of the location of the eyes, which are right above the point of the hook... headhunting fish, like Cutts tend to be, will often smash the fly right at the eyes rather than swipe behind, resulting in more hookups.

IMG_5732.jpg

mikemac1

Marine Worm One
Inspired by Chester Allen's description of Polychaete Worms in Fly Fishing for Sea-Run Cutthroat
P2070100.JPG
Hook:
Gamakatsu SPL-3L3H #4
Thread: 140 UTC
Weight:
20 turns of .020 lead free wire
Tail: Finn Raccoon
Underbody Legs: Zonked Pine Squirrel sandwiched between the foam
Overbody: Razor Foam 1/4" pieces on top and bottom
Rib: Medium Ultra Wire

These were initial ties and clearly need some refinement. I tried furry foam and it looked good but my stock was old and fell apart while tying. Of course any number of color combinations and sizes could be tied. I just used what I had on hand.

Latest posts