Talk me out of a SOTAR Strike for MT

SERE Nate

I am looking to buy a raft in the next month or so. I live in Whitefish MT. I have a WF Clacka DB now and use it everywhere from the MO, the ELK in BC, to the main stem of the Flathead River. For the most part it will be me and my wife and dog. I want to get a fishing frame for it, dont plan on getting casting platforms as I want to keep the weight to a minimum and have less things to get tangled on. A drop stitch floor would be nice to stand on.

I am not a whitewater enthusiast who will be searching out class 4+ waves. However, I want to be able to handle the 3-4 class stuff if I have to while I'm fishing. Shallow drafting is more important to me as well as not being a wind sail. The wind tends to come upstream on the Flathead and there are some slow sections you have to row through.

I am looking for something that I can use on the upper parts of the NF of the flathead, south fork of the flathead, as well as to fly into Schafer Meadows and float the middle fork for 3 days. I'm hopeful (arent we all) to draw a Smith or Salmon river permit as well. I tend to camp light and have overnighted out of a Skaggen tandem kayak before with her.

I am leaning hard towards a SOTAR Strike, probably 13-6. My budget is right at $10k so I am hoping to find something used and save some money if possible. There are a few complete packages on FB now for 2 different Strikes as well as a AIRE Super Puma that have caught my eye. My buddy has a Maravia Diablo that I could get a good deal on as well. ALso really like the looks of the AIRE 136 DD.

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
WFF Supporter
Buy my 14'x7' Otter fully loaded for fishing with trailer for $6500.

Rubber is in great shape (never been patched) and stored under a tarp.

I'm planning on selling this spring but you can have first dibs.

SERE Nate

Buy my 14'x7' Otter fully loaded for fishing with trailer for $6500.

Rubber is in great shape (never been patched) and stored under a tarp.

I'm planning on selling this spring but you can have first dibs.

Why are you getting rid of it? I'd prefer to buy once, cry once.

Capn Chicken Man

Found it. No trailer, but seems like a good deal.

It is a good deal on that Sotar if it has little wear which they are claiming.

I looked at Barney's frames before I had a Montana Raft Frame built for my 130D and they run about $2300 to $2500 depending on options.

You can pick your own trailer which is probably what you want to do anyways to make sure you get the right one. A good trailer is worth every penny. . I have this Targhee model. It was $1,800 http://www.targheetrailers.com/model-trft712/. I like it a lot but the deck can get a little slick. You could apply some grip tape or bed liner in a few spots to stop that. You should be able to get a very nice new trailer for $2000.

I'd upgrade the oars on that Sotar out of billings to Sawyer Squaretops for $800.

By my calcs you could have a sweet setup with trailer and oars for around $8000-$8300.

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
WFF Supporter
Why are you getting rid of it? I'd prefer to buy once, cry once.

Trying to downsize. I have three other boats and don't really use it much anymore.

I'm also thinking about getting something I can just throw in the back of my truck.

802flyfish

The NRS Otter rafts are well built. I would highly recommend looking at Swimmy's used raft if you don't plan on buying new.

Last edited:

BDD

Sotar makes great products. I have two of them but not any of their floored rafts. The last time I checked (couple of years ago) they didn't offer a drop stitch floor but maybe that has changed. The specs on the Strike looks like it would make a good fishing boat, with a lower profile to combat against the wind. If you don't plan on fishing on the move (you mentioned you didn't want casting platforms) or if you fish from the seats, then the Strike would be a great boat. If you want to fish while standing, then you may consider getting some hard floors built into your frame. For me personally, I really like drop stitch floors for a fishing boat.

Hard to go wrong with Aire, Maravia or the NRS Otter either as you don't hear many complaints from anybody who has owned them. For $10K, you can get a really sweet raft, frame, and trailer package. In my opinion, any of the rafts you mention will work great. You should spend some time thinking about what you want in a fishing frame and the trailer. For the latter, things like deck height, design, and accessories (roller, winch, etc.) can make loading and transport so much easier and safer.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts