NFR Snow

Trapper

ISO brown liquor and wild salmonoids
Is it a tallboy can? I think you accidentally used your fishing ruler to measure the can, you might want to recheck the depth. I am pretty sure there isn't a "standard" can made that even reaches 5".
Wikipedia
In North America, the standard can size is 12 US fl oz or 355 ml. The US standard can is 4.83 inches high, 2.13 inches in diameter at the lid, and 2.60 inches in diameter at the widest point of the body.
I just had to look this up. I knew a case (24) cans of 12 ounce beers weighs 20 lbs. I know this because we loaded 4 cases on each side of a mule and it was 80 lbs per side.

All that began years ago when the outfitter I was working for had put a limit on just how much beer his clients could have in a camp in The Bob Marshall wilderness. The limit was a can or two per client. Staff got zero.

A group of four guys showed up for a summer trip. They wanted to bring a lot of beer and the outfitter told them no way. It was getting heated so I pulled him aside.

"Greg, you've got extra mules standing in the corral eating hay you have to buy. Why not put them to work? Give these guys a number. Let them decide if it's worth the extra money."

"No one is going to pay extra just to take beer into camp."

"You don't know many beer drinkers do you? Just give them a number."

Greg looked at his corral and then at the four clients. He walked over to them. "A case of beer weighs 20 pounds. That's going to require an extra mule which can carry a maximum of eight cases. That mule will cost you an extra $500."

"No problem at all. The beer is in the trunk of the rental car. There's 10 cases. Take eight."

Greg turned around and looked at me flabbergasted.

I already had my mules ready to go, so me and one of the guides mounted up and headed up the trail. The clients, packers, and Greg followed a few hours later.

When they arrived in camp I'd already had dinner going. I walked out of the cook tent wanting to know what kind of beer was worth an extra $500. When the packer pulled the manty off the beer load, I had to look twice.

Rainier Lite.

Last edited:

IveofIone

So far this winter we have had relatively little snow here on the tundra. I'm grateful for that. Three inches a couple of days ago but only a skiff since then. The 15 day forecast doesn't look as benign. There isn't a day above freezing predicted in that time and about half of the nights are predicted to be in single digits. Twelve of those days have snow predicted so whatever comes is going to stay around a while. Down in town every street is ice covered with little chance of thawing in sight.

I need groceries but am reluctant to drive across the pass in this weather as the road will be icy and the temps around 10 or so. Here at the house I have the obligatory 8' high berms that I have stacked up but unlike some years I still have room to stack more-hope I don't have to use it. The weather service sees no end to this current cold spell and that doesn't bode well for the March 1 opener. Normally in Feb we get some 40+ degree days with sunshine to speed the thaw but it looks like the month will be almost over before we get any relief. At least it is a snuggy 70 degrees in my shop...

Jamie Dow

Streams ought to be in pretty good shape if this continues. A bit worried after a pretty dry January. Also, with prolonged below zero pine beetles (the bugs which turn whole hillsides brown) die. Montana state low temp yesterday was -41 in Havre, and, no, that's not windchill :)
1549729451484.png

Last edited:

PezVela

Looks like we dodged the bullet (for now) here in SW WA... got maybe an inch last night, and only 30* outside. The forecast ain't so good though, snow for most of next week. A guy can only tie so many flies.....

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Everything had melted out here by yesterday afternoon. I saw a couple of small patches in the shade when I drove to Westport yesterday. Woke up to find evidence of a light dusting overnight. Looks like a heavy frost. Might have to scrape ice from my windshield if I drive anywhere, but the sun is trying to peek through the clouds, and I might luck out and get some solar pre-heating on the Forester.
East county got a few inches, but we got nuthin'.

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
I have a pickup with an 8' bed and shell. When I drive out of town in this sort of weather I have a sleeping bag that is rated to -40º. I also have water and small propane stove and a bunch of emergency equipment. I think that's pretty standard winter gear here.

Montana population just recently hit 1 million.
I left my lights on once and the battery was dead. I thought about for a moment and then went back inside and asked my boss if I could borrow his jumper cables. He looked at me and asked “how did you know I have jumper cables in the car??”. I told him that he grew up in Montana and was sure that he still had all that stuff in his car.

We were all “idiots” at one time when driving on snow and ice. I still cringe with my memories of the first trip in snow. I did learn how after a friend dumped us in the Frying Pan River after encountering black ice. I started driving like a little old man at the age of 26 after that.

The wet snow on the coast is much harder to drive in that the dry snow of Montana. But the lack of a skill set really shows in western Washington.

The most dangerous snow conditions are in eastern Washington and north Idaho. It is always around freezing and with plenty of black ice. I won’t buy a car without a outside thermometer.

Latest posts