What’s Catching You Fish?

Jake

WFF Supporter
There is a joy better than catching a fish on a fly you tied. It’s catching four in four casts with a fly your kid designed and tied. The pink Fritz’s Floundering Floober Fly, when swung as a nymph fooled four trout in a row.

Sadly, the fly was a one-off and was stolen by a Deschutes steelhead the third time it took me into my backing.

931302D8-7D51-474A-ABC4-8D5C17F85BF8.jpeg F0910637-894F-4141-9C54-43822CACEC84.jpeg

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
I have been fishing a ton for salmon since late July through chum in November. After giving the elbow a well needed 14 day rest (my longest fishing break in years!), I headed out for a short SRC outing this morning. Fished a couple of hours and a couple beaches. Caught 3 lost 1. I love catching coho but sometimes the beaches can be a sh*t show. Such a different vibe fishing SRC in winter. I think I actually came home more relaxed than before I left this morning....and I got to exercise and have breakfast with my wife before I headed out.

Anyway, this was the biggest fish of the day. I nice chunky specimen covered in copepods....

61FD92DA-0A0B-467C-9794-8131EBD4D1DC.jpeg

Two of the fish caught today were on this....

A8EF70D0-48D1-48B8-A239-F8DDDC188EEA.jpeg

69CFD18B-7E71-49BE-B182-47A5E99DCCB9.jpeg

I’ll probably make a small adjustment with the next batch of these and add a small bead.

Kfish

WFF Supporter
I have been fishing a ton for salmon since late July through chum in November. After giving the elbow a well needed 14 day rest (my longest fishing break in years!), I headed out for a short SRC outing this morning. Fished a couple of hours and a couple beaches. Caught 3 lost 1. I love catching coho but sometimes the beaches can be a sh*t show. Such a different vibe fishing SRC in winter. I think I actually came home more relaxed than before I left this morning....and I got to exercise and have breakfast with my wife before I headed out.

Anyway, this was the biggest fish of the day. I nice chunky specimen covered in copepods....

View attachment 219369

Two of the fish caught today were on this....

View attachment 219370

View attachment 219371

I’ll probably make a small adjustment with the next batch of these and add a small bead.
Cool fly, I like my Radian too.

Spawnflyfish

Spawn Fly Fish
WFF Supporter
Dude that’s the slam! The flounder would be 5 we need to come up with a name for that! I only know of a few places down here with lots of flounder that would be crazy to get all 5! I’ve seen a lot of striped piling perch the last two times out!

Jake

WFF Supporter
Dude that’s the slam! The flounder would be 5 we need to come up with a name for that! I only know of a few places down here with lots of flounder that would be crazy to get all 5! I’ve seen a lot of striped piling perch the last two times out!
That’s 6, though. And then there’s greenlings, escapees from Cooke, and ling—just to name a few can-be-caught-with-a-fly fish.

Maybe we outta get bingo cards made up?

Kfish

WFF Supporter

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Got out this morning looking for SRC close to home. It was a decent morning; 6 fish landed and 4-5 additional missed. These three flies accounted for all my caught and missed ]

How's your hookup and landing ratio tying on those octopus hooks? They really aren't designed to be tied directly onto the leader. They are much more effective attached via a loop like on a stinger clouser, or a snell knot that makes the leader pull directly on the shank.

I went thru a spell of using them and was not hooking and landing fish consistently and was taught about how if they are tied onto a leader like a standard fly the leader doesnt pull the hook straight at a hookset because of the offset and the hook sets would suffer. Just curious how it's worked for you.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock