What’s Catching You Fish?

troutpocket

Did some tying tonight and re-stocked a WA Stillwater classic; the Olive Willy. I used to fish it a lot but haven’t much in the last 10 years. Well last September I got to fish a few days with my dad. He doesn’t get out much but enjoys being in a boat and is happy to troll. I set him up with a sinking line and he cleaned up with this pattern at a couple lakes in eastern WA. I’ll be ready again this year! 42BAC28F-99B3-4DF1-9B0B-08991D31A9C1.jpeg

Kfish

WFF Supporter
Did some tying tonight and re-stocked a WA Stillwater classic; the Olive Willy. I used to fish it a lot but haven’t much in the last 10 years. Well last September I got to fish a few days with my dad. He doesn’t get out much but enjoys being in a boat and is happy to troll. I set him up with a sinking line and he cleaned up with this pattern at a couple lakes in eastern WA. I’ll be ready again this year! View attachment 225936
That's a good pattern at Lone!

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
This fly, while not fished on a fly rod, was responsible for about 70% of our action fishing blackmouth over the weekend.

View attachment 225263 View attachment 225264
Glad you posted about this in the What’s in Your Vice Thread. This style fly has caught me a good number of fish of various species the last few weeks (SRC, coho and blackmouth), including a handful of these chunky fella’s this morning...

28C7C501-0A84-4F70-9637-4991C70047B6.jpeg

787352CA-50D3-49B9-BEB9-8746318864C2.jpeg

MD

WFF Supporter
I finished all my chores so mom said I could go play :)

I hit the water around 8:30 and had high hopes for the day since the weather had been so great lately. I was truly hoping to beat what had become my usual one and done.

It was a beauty of a day....sun and just enough wind to riffle the surface but after about 2.5 hours with no bumps or signs of fish, I was thinking the below freezing nights were jinxing me and I was hoping not to get skunked. Like my other recent lake outings....colors, size, twitch, fast strip, slow strip, or height in water column didn't seem to matter.

Around 11:30 I had one hit my leech but no hook up and that was all she wrote....evidently this fish didn't travel with others....

Finally around 12:30 I tracked down a small midge hatch along the shore. I'd seen no bugs prior to this. There was no surface activity so I started stripping this leech in about 8 or 12 feet of water...but I got no love.
IMG_3171.jpg

I tossed it to the lakes edge where I'm guessing it was about 3 or 4 feet deep and got a nice little brown.
I continued to work the waters edge and was lucky enough to net this beauty.....

IMG_3164.jpg

Shortly after this, shade covered the area, the midge hatch faded away, and I couldn't find any other takers. I found a couple other areas where a small hatch had been but got no more love.

Gotta love early spring fishing though, the cold water keeps the crowds away, and ya never know what you're gonna get ;)

Tight Lines,

Mike d

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts