What’s Catching You Fish?

Rob Allen

Golden stones are hatching on the upper freestone section of the Arkansas, but it's nothing like a sronefly hatch in any decent state.

SinglehandJay

Misanthropist
I never took a before of this one before fishing it so I had to Chuck it back up for a photo after I went out earlier to the beach and got this king on my 4th cast. It's my first king in the salt on a fly rod. Not bad going for SRC's and getting this. Hatchery to boot, should be tasty. Also landed 2 SRC's before leaving.

Attachments

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
Out for trout today and got this gorgeous beast!! Not positive if this was a steelhead but it was only 16" but weighed easily over 2 pounds. Extremely tough fight took it towards a large log jam twice with decent time in the air too!
IMG_20200702_1827052541.jpg
Wow, I have never seen a rainbow trout with light halos on it's back and head, unless I am seeing a trick shadow?

Calling for anyone else who has seen a lot of fish..anyone recall seeing something like this?

Thanks for posting @SinglehandJay -looks like a fat resident fish

Last edited:

SinglehandJay

Misanthropist

Attachments

Smalma

SinglehandJay-

Congrats on a nice trout! I have seen examples of such fish from a number of North Puget Sound rivers who based on aging from scale samples were resident rainbows. Your fish was likely 5 or 6 years old and had spawned at least once.

Such fish when we encounter them are always special that in reality are an equally important component of our anadromous ecosystems. I will post a new thread on the general forum on the occurrences and importance of these resident rainbows (as well as cutthroat) in our rivers and their potential role in fisheries management.

Curt

SinglehandJay

Misanthropist
SinglehandJay-

Congrats on a nice trout! I have seen examples of such fish from a number of North Puget Sound rivers who based on aging from scale samples were resident rainbows. Your fish was likely 5 or 6 years old and had spawned at least once.

Such fish when we encounter them are always special that in reality are an equally important component of our anadromous ecosystems. I will post a new thread on the general forum on the occurrences and importance of these resident rainbows (as well as cutthroat) in our rivers and their potential role in fisheries management.

Curt
I caught this at the same river two years ago. I wasn't sure if this was a summer steelhead or a massive rainbow. Same with this next one at the same river but was positive it is a Steelhead.

Attachments

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts