What’s Catching You Fish?

I'm so excited... I finally get to post in this thread!

@Irafly was kind enough to spend his birthday taking my gimpy butt out on the water. Other than having him back the boat in and back the trailer down at the end of the day, I did just fine on the water with my not yet fully recovered knee.

I caught all my fish on these two patterns

20190224_124701-01.jpeg

20190224_104916-01.jpeg

They both produced very well. The Spawn head really fished great. The coho loved it but they were hard to hook on the larger pattern. The head was very impressive! I was really surprised by the action it gave the fly. With the head it would dart, drop, and otherwise swim in a very erratic fashion. Very easy to cast, even though these heads currently aren't super small. I did notice it didn't sink super quickly and it definitely fished better with a type 3 line vs an intermediate. If I wasn't so lazy I would have switched to a type 5, I think that would have been perfect.

The Squimp performed at its usual high level and accounted for the bulk of my fish.

20190224_100004-01.jpeg 20190224_102956-01.jpeg 20190224_104139-01.jpeg 20190224_113847-01.jpeg 20190224_101941-01.jpeg 20190224_095954-01.jpeg 20190224_101918-01.jpeg 20190224_115500-01.jpeg

@Irafly was kind enough to spend his birthday taking my gimpy butt out on the water. Other than having him back the boat in and back the trailer down at the end of the day, I did just fine on the water with my not yet fully recovered knee.

View attachment 194241

View attachment 194242

They both produced very well. The Spawn head really fished great. The coho loved it but they were hard to hook on the larger pattern. The head was very impressive! I was really surprised by the action it gave the fly. With the head it would dart, drop, and otherwise swim in a very erratic fashion. Very easy to cast, even though these heads currently aren't super small. I did notice it didn't sink super quickly and it definitely fished better with a type 3 line vs an intermediate. If I wasn't so lazy I would have switched to a type 5, I think that would have been perfect.

The Squimp performed at its usual high level and accounted for the bulk of my fish.

View attachment 194243 View attachment 194244 View attachment 194246 View attachment 194247 View attachment 194248 View attachment 194249 View attachment 194250 View attachment 194252
niiice! The color on that rabbit streamer is one of my favorite colors to use in just about anything.

View attachment 194241

View attachment 194242

View attachment 194243 View attachment 194244 View attachment 194246 View attachment 194247 View attachment 194248 View attachment 194249 View attachment 194250 View attachment 194252
Glad to hear the body is up to some fishing. Don't over do it and I'm sure that won't be easy!!

View attachment 194241

View attachment 194242

Great to hear you made it out and got some nice looking coho (thanks Ira). Spring is just around the corner Nick, looks like you'll be back to your regular fishy self for the chum fry hatch !

This stupid pattern has been producing huge the last few days.

I had a guy out on Thursday who moved out here from Montana. We had a fine morning and caught plenty of fish and then things slowed. He dug into his box and pulled something very similar to this out and tied it on. I was playfully giving him crap for such a silly pattern. He said they fish it in Montana with great success. Well he started getting absolutely lit up by both cutthroat and coho. I was racking my brain trying to figure out why it was working so well when little else was getting much attention. Luckily a cutthroat puked up a 2" anchovie in the net, and suddenly it became clear.

I came home and tied up a bunch and it has been absolutely crushing since. Yesterday and today we had to fish deep with type 7 lines to get the fish to commit. In the bright sun the fish were following but not committing so we dredged deep and started doing very well. It's such a dumb little pattern, but I'm other the dumb factor and am fishing the hell out of it right now. The cone gives it a nice jigging action and it sparkles and pulsates nicely. The fish definitely approve, and I'm not gonna argue.

It's about a five minute tie.... Something red for the body, I'm using red holographic flashabou covered in thin UV resin for durability. A few strands of holographic silver flashabou top and bottom, then a decent amount of plain silver flashabou top and bottom. Finished off with some white dubbing. I've been using white ET Glow Dub from Fly Tyers Dungeon, but anything would work. It's about as simple as they come, but I can't possibly describe how well this thing has been producing. Easily 80% of our fish these last few days have come from this silly thing. The guy who originally tied it on says he thinks it has a name back in Montana... But we dubbed it the Silver Surfer that day :)

DSC02631-2.jpg

20190315_142753-01.jpeg 20190316_150410-01.jpeg

Latest posts