What’s Catching You Fish?

chris stiemert

WFF Supporter
EAF5550E-40D7-4A09-9CA2-56F35587A167.jpeg
I marked this up to be a fathead minnow, didn’t have a photo of it but basically just brown on the sides and olive up top. Couldn’t take a photo of it because one of the big boys wrapped it around a log on me today. I wonder what happens to the fish when they wrap you up on a log. I had 3x tippet and had to pull pretty hard to break off at the tippet/leader connection. Before that happened though it was responsible for this fish and a few others.

96F451C6-6A41-49F4-B9D6-92DD7EAA3C4D.jpeg

sample size is small but these game changer flies are getting swallowed a little deep even though I have the hook way up at the head of the fly. They either hook in the sides the mouth or down a few inches. The fish were in a feeding frenzy launching aggressively at the flies so wondering if that contributed. I hope after some more testing that they don’t consistently go deep because they look so good in the water. The fishing really turned on right as everyone else left.

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
I've been working with this pattern for a few months now and came up with a product that I'm happy with. The main goal of this fly was to tie a bug that never fouls, maintains a realistic profile and swims really well. Easier said than done, but a little engineering here and there, and it's been accomplished! I fished the same fly for about three hours and never had to touch it unless a fish ate it. Moreover, it was incredibly productive.

It looks a little raggedy when it's dry, but the fish don't see it dry!

IMG_7788.jpg
Add water, and it slims into a sweet little baitfish taper with a nice two-tone look. The color scheme reminds me of the color "baby bass" for soft plastic tubes, flukes, etc... a favorite color for bass. Turns out, trout like a baby bass fly as well! I decided to go impressionistic and give it an oversized eye to really trigger those predatory instincts. The whole thing is tied with 100% UV materials as well.

IMG_7789.jpg

I had to take a picture of "the magic" that makes the fly essentially foul free. I tie in a piece of 20lb mono as a core, then tie my materials in and wrap the thread past the bend of the hook. Add a little superglue, then tie in some polar chenille (I've used dubbing in a loop as well) and wrap it back up the hook. Build the rest of the body and head, keeping the rest of the materials short enough that they can't foul... boom! Peace of mind on the water, and no wasted casts!

IMG_7793.jpg

It got me into a pile of browns all about this size...
IMG_7776.jpg

...and got one that was significantly larger. I think this girl's been eating pretty good! In fact, every fish I landed today was really healthy looking, which is great to see. I lost a nice one about ten minutes before, and told myself in kidding that he shook my bad juju off so that when I hooked a bigger fish, they'd stay buttoned. Whaddya know.

IMG_7778.jpg IMG_7780.jpg

Buzzy

I've been working with this pattern for a few months now and came up with a product that I'm happy with. The main goal of this fly was to tie a bug that never fouls, maintains a realistic profile and swims really well. Easier said than done, but a little engineering here and there, and it's been accomplished! I fished the same fly for about three hours and never had to touch it unless a fish ate it. Moreover, it was incredibly productive.

View attachment 257576
Add water, and it slims into a sweet little baitfish taper with a nice two-tone look. The color scheme reminds me of the color "baby bass" for soft plastic tubes, flukes, etc... a favorite color for bass. Turns out, trout like a baby bass fly as well! I decided to go impressionistic and give it an oversized eye to really trigger those predatory instincts. The whole thing is tied with 100% UV materials as well.

View attachment 257577

I had to take a picture of "the magic" that makes the fly essentially foul free. I tie in a piece of 20lb mono as a core, then tie my materials in and wrap the thread past the bend of the hook. Add a little superglue, then tie in some polar chenille (I've used dubbing in a loop as well) and wrap it back up the hook. Build the rest of the body and head, keeping the rest of the materials short enough that they can't foul... boom! Peace of mind on the water, and no wasted casts!

View attachment 257578

View attachment 257573

...and got one that was significantly larger. I think this girl's been eating pretty good! In fact, every fish I landed today was really healthy looking, which is great to see. I lost a nice one about ten minutes before, and told myself in kidding that he shook my bad juju off so that when I hooked a bigger fish, they'd stay buttoned. Whaddya know.

View attachment 257574 View attachment 257575
That last brown is a BEAST!

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Tied up a few Silver Surfers based on a @Nick Clayton video
I believe he mentioned Rolf, originally showed him the pattern.
I met Rolf quite a few years ago while coho fishing.
it got chewed on pretty good today with some decent fish to hand and one bubba lost after a nice tussle. I know where he is at for next time.
The Silver Surf work really well today in colored water.
While fishing it a couple alternative materials tweaks popped into my head I’m going to try on the next batch I tie up.
SF

A43D5F1B-EFE7-4ED8-B2FC-619D4DCC5FF9.jpeg
0BDDB064-FC24-45F0-A198-E304B7A18195.jpeg
52C93AB7-30AA-45A2-917A-C1083DC650F5.jpeg
21472F4C-D050-4D84-BFB1-DCF7643DE69F.jpeg

Buzzy

Tied up a few Silver Surfers based on a @Nick Clayton video
I believe he mentioned Rolf, originally showed him the pattern.
I met Rolf quite a few years ago while coho fishing.
it got chewed on pretty good today with some decent fish to hand and one bubba lost after a nice tussle. I know where he is at for next time.
The Silver Surf work really well today in colored water.
While fishing it a couple alternative materials tweaks popped into my head I’m going to try on the next batch I tie up.
SF

View attachment 257705
View attachment 257702
View attachment 257703
View attachment 257704
Some nicely shouldered fish, Brian! J!

Kfish

WFF Supporter

View attachment 257576

View attachment 257577

View attachment 257578

View attachment 257573

View attachment 257574 View attachment 257575
Nice fly! Attaining that slim minnow taper from head to tail at that small a size is no easy feat. Looks like you've cracked the code, will have to try that method sometimes :)

Dave Boyle

I was looking over some pics from my recent outing where I was lucky enough to have some super dry fly fishing to a hatch of brown chironomids. A sz18 lady McConnell was the ticket that at the start, went to a 14 quigley as the winds got up. I’ve just noticed that if you zoom in on the dark spot between the pelvic fin and the lateral line of this fish then there’s the fly...

Dave

5E5AE931-C4A7-49A3-B9D3-879565C55B5E.jpeg

Last edited:

Jack Devlin

I was looking over some pics from my recent outing where I was lucky enough to have some super dry fly fishing to a hatch of brown chironomids. A sz18 lady McConnell was the ticket that at the start, went to a 14 quigley as the winds got up. I’ve just noticed that if you zoom in on the dark spot between the anal fin and the lateral line of this fish then there’s the fly...

Dave

View attachment 257777
Dave, not too many know of the Lady McConnell. Great pattern although I have never fished it in size 18. 95251017_2370240353276410_3835080138022715392_n.jpg

Dave Boyle

Dave, not too many know of the Lady McConnell. Great pattern although I have never fished it in size 18. View attachment 257781
Hi Jack,

I like it as alternative to a raccoon, I use Antron vs deer hair back tho’, the hackles make it float better and the flies that were emerging were typically siting on the water rather than in it. I like raccoons and quigley’s for in the surface and when it gets choppy as easier to see

Dave

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts