What’s Catching You Fish?

Nick Clayton

Lol I just cranked out a dozen and it took 48 minutes so not quite five minutes each. I probably could pump em out a bit faster but Im worn out as hell and not moving too quickly

If that takes 5 minutes to tie, my suggestion would be to use both hands...and a vise :D

Seriously though - that pattern is very reminiscent of a flash fly, and the old red Karluk flash fly (not the new one with the collar) was basically flash over red wire.

Coho crusher, fo' sho'.

jasmillo

Been out of town the last couple of weekends so got out for the first time in a few weeks. It was not lights out but a beautiful morning and 4 fish total landed including one of my best SRC if the year on a chum fry pattern I tied up Friday....

3BA8FE7A-7B91-4E56-A267-1A1243D8058F.jpeg

4E32A8F0-B3C0-45ED-9732-A2E18EA40857.jpeg

Another shot - same fish.

CC5F9B09-1350-4B20-B761-251B9A23011B.jpeg

9132166E-2D5B-4A5B-9895-2830D97744E5.jpeg

Another fly that produced...
F6DD671B-E213-4E61-9D2D-41B25143280E.jpeg

6B829493-DE56-4535-846C-CB79F973C0C5.jpeg

g_smolt

Recreational User
g smolt, just curious what the wing material is? Looks synthetic but I don't know what.
Really like that fly!
Glad you like it, the fish do too! Wing is H2O FishScale in grey over an old imitation PB that isn't made anymore. SF fiber or other translucent semi-wavy hair works as well.

Creatch'r

Heavies...
The shrimp pattern I posted in the Whats In Your Vise thread last night did well today, but the flash fly reigned supreme yet again

View attachment 196970
I’m not surprised in the least, for all we do to make realistic or cool looking flies for all species it never seems to fail that a simple wad of flash just flat out gets it done! Hats off to Larry Dahlberg for inventing flashabou. What a legend.

skyrise

Lol I just cranked out a dozen and it took 48 minutes so not quite five minutes each. I probably could pump em out a bit faster but Im worn out as hell and not moving too quickly
Thanks for sharing. Going to copy that pattern & downsize for Stillwater trout. Then try it on flowing water. Try it in June for summer runs.

Jake

(not really a sea otter)
This stupid pattern has been producing huge the last few days.

I had a guy out on Thursday who moved out here from Montana. We had a fine morning and caught plenty of fish and then things slowed. He dug into his box and pulled something very similar to this out and tied it on. I was playfully giving him crap for such a silly pattern. He said they fish it in Montana with great success. Well he started getting absolutely lit up by both cutthroat and coho. I was racking my brain trying to figure out why it was working so well when little else was getting much attention. Luckily a cutthroat puked up a 2" anchovie in the net, and suddenly it became clear.

I came home and tied up a bunch and it has been absolutely crushing since. Yesterday and today we had to fish deep with type 7 lines to get the fish to commit. In the bright sun the fish were following but not committing so we dredged deep and started doing very well. It's such a dumb little pattern, but I'm other the dumb factor and am fishing the hell out of it right now. The cone gives it a nice jigging action and it sparkles and pulsates nicely. The fish definitely approve, and I'm not gonna argue.

It's about a five minute tie.... Something red for the body, I'm using red holographic flashabou covered in thin UV resin for durability. A few strands of holographic silver flashabou top and bottom, then a decent amount of plain silver flashabou top and bottom. Finished off with some white dubbing. I've been using white ET Glow Dub from Fly Tyers Dungeon, but anything would work. It's about as simple as they come, but I can't possibly describe how well this thing has been producing. Easily 80% of our fish these last few days have come from this silly thing. The guy who originally tied it on says he thinks it has a name back in Montana... But we dubbed it the Silver Surfer that day :)

View attachment 196453

View attachment 196454View attachment 196455
According to my wife, to whom I just showed this, if you use red tubing you could save yourself a step and skip the UV resin.

Nick Clayton

According to my wife, to whom I just showed this, if you use red tubing you could save yourself a step and skip the UV resin.

Ya my buddy who initially showed me this fly had it tied with tubing. I've been using flashabou simply because I didnt have any tubing

Latest posts