What’s Catching You Fish?

MD

WFF Supporter
My two simple Go-To leeches
9209182C-CFED-49CC-9D5E-D9C3B44607A1.jpeg Helped me get some pig rainbows....by my standards anyway.
C0900238-B47D-4A80-A5C3-74C0791A476D.jpeg
And the claret one produced my personal best brown outa this lake
BF1DA25A-65F5-4CF6-A5EB-213912D068FF.jpeg
Overall kinda slow...had to keep moving and go deep to find them....but no complaints.

And it wasn’t crowded....which was a surprise... I figured it might be busy since the rivers are blown and it was the first nice day in a while but not bad...4 or 5 anchored up mid fishers and that was about it.

see ya

MD

WFF Supporter
Here’s a question for those in the know. What’s the reason for the dusty rose color on many of the hold over rainbows? I’d always thought it was a spawning feature/phase. Is that right? Or is it an age thing? Or a different strain?

just wondering what the answer is and I’m too lazy to Google it at the moment;)

SinglehandJay

Misanthropist
Here’s a question for those in the know. What’s the reason for the dusty rose color on many of the hold over rainbows? I’d always thought it was a spawning feature/phase. Is that right? Or is it an age thing? Or a different strain?

just wondering what the answer is and I’m too lazy to Google it at the moment;)
I caught a trout in a lake that was as you described and when I picked it up yellow dead eggs came pouring out. It had access to an inlet and outlet creek to spawn but didn't for some reason

Smalma

MD-
While wild rainbows are spring spawners many of the hatchery rainbow broods tocks have been selected for earlier spawning to facilitate meeting production goals. WDFW has a number of rainbow brood stocks with the "goldendale" stock the one most commonly used in the Puget Sound region including the Arlington hatchery. This stock is a "fall spawning stock with typical spawning period being October to February with most of the eggs taken in November. So those colors reflect the fish being sexually mature - spawners.

Curt

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
Fished for a couple hours at a N. Sound beach this evening. Surprised with the amount of activity- as soon as the current made its way to shore, schools of little blackmouth began popping up. At first they refused the flashy flashy I had on, but I caught one 10"er on a pink spider-shrimpy thing.... that coughed up a 3" anchovy! Well, tied the flasher back on and hooked three more fish in pretty quick succession, this time all healthy yellow cutthroat. I was pretty stoked to find productive fishing in the North Sound this time of year. You never know 'till you go!

IMG_7957.jpg

Only got pictures of the middling cutthroat. Landed one larger and one smaller. The blackmouth was just a wee lad. It felt pretty warm for January with the sun out like it was. And, the fish were very aggressive. Tough to strip the fly too fast, even in the dead of winter.

IMG_7966.jpg

SquatchinSince86

Seems like a lot more productive reports coming from the N. Sound beaches than a typical winter. Is that because more people are going after it or change in cutthroat behavior? Just an idol postulation.

Sounds like a fun trip!

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
Seems like a lot more productive reports coming from the N. Sound beaches than a typical winter. Is that because more people are going after it or change in cutthroat behavior? Just an idol postulation.

Sounds like a fun trip!

Definitely more folks getting after it. I've walked around and fished several beaches for years now, rarely see anglers outside of salmon season- including the typically more productive months for the N. sound... and yet I've been SHOCKED this winter by the amount of fly fishermen I've seen, rivaling the clusters that occur down south haha.

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
By the way... I've talked my fair share of shit regarding RIO's Coastal Quickshooter. Maybe it's durability isn't the best, but man it's a sweet line to cast and you can send back your line once it's busted and they'll replace it. Talking with one of the guys who helped design it, they applied a stronger coating on the running line and it seems to hold up a tad bit better now. Tangling isn't a huge issue if you gently stretch it out.

Anyways after a few trips and really dialing in the distance casting thing with it, I've officially rescinded my disdain for it. Haha.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Tied these up yesterday as chum fry imitations. Decided I wanted to test them out and that they’d probably work this time of year because well, they’re olive buggers. Landed 7 over 2 different beaches and lost a couple others fishing them exclusively. Nothing significant, just some nice cutts on an even better day!

B79F645A-CB7A-4ABE-9446-22C17AA697D1.jpeg

54495AFE-9A1A-4109-9D0C-B4FE79861254.jpeg

62D78E4C-A7FC-42E6-8B05-BD7278CF68B1.jpeg

7D071C15-74DA-4C02-A937-9693E42C3018.jpeg

Vandelay Industries

A wholly owned subsidiary of Kramerica Industries
Tied these up yesterday as chum fry imitations. Decided I wanted to test them out and that they’d probably work this time of year because well, they’re olive buggers. Landed 7 over 2 different beaches and lost a couple others fishing them exclusively. Nothing significant, just some nice cutts on an even better day!

View attachment 268194

View attachment 268193

View attachment 268195

View attachment 268192
Nice fish. Good job on the chum fry imitations.

The earliest I've caught fish on a chum fry pattern was early January, so your right to try them this early.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts