What’s Catching You Fish?

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
I've been posting up a bunch of flies lately and I got a chance to give them a test dive today. My confidence flies, a hare's ears and brown rubber legs on a 15' contact nymph style leader got no love fishing upstream. On the way back down I ran a small dart and an orange/black rubber legs. Found another winner. Used my 9' Redington RS4 6wt with a new Trout Boss DT. I was worried because it weighs in a full size heavy but the guy at Cortland assured me it was designed to work with a 6wt. Worked well at 25 degrees and easily roll casted 40' today, and overhead with the long leader no problem. Once I give it a good run I'll share more.
20210123_101822 (2).jpg
I only made this one sit for pics today.
20210123_101813 (2).jpg
20210123_102902.jpg

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
Washington state has pretty simple match the hatch principles year-round, but winter certainly takes it to a new level of simple.

Busted out the euro rod and a dropshot rig, did that whole shindig. Haven't euro nymphed in almost two years and am not sure what to think about it. It's nice fighting fish without a bobber dragging everywhere, and super nice having a direct connection to your flies.

I still think it's hilarious that folks get mad at people fishing bobbers saying it isn't flyfishing, when euro nymhping doesn't even involve a fly line.... instead, using the weight of the flies to cast a mono line... sorta like.... a spinning rod. Hmmmm.

No hate I just find it goofy. I did retie an indicator rig for a bit and was amazed after whipping a euro nymph rig around all day what it felt like to actually cast a fly line again. Kinda satisfying compared to bow and arrow casting a worm around.

And worm I did. After the bit of high water we had, the fish certainly were looking for them. These are about the simplest flies I tie. Fluorescent bead, UV dubbing, UV worm material.

IMG_8012.jpg

Despite being a slow day and below freezing all day, I managed a half dozen nice trout 16" and above with an "inquisitive" looking 20" cuttbow, with the euro rig proving pivotal maneuvering flies around some complex currents.
Yep. Between 22-31 degrees out, and I forgot my damn net. Talk about freezing, and my hand towel decided to go for a swim and was useless for the final 8 hours of the day.

And, a big thank you to the rainbows and cutthroat that find each other beautiful and make cutt-bows. Day in and day out these cuttbows are the hardest fighting fish in the system, and they reach impressive sizes much larger than this gentleman.

IMG_7998.jpg

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
super complex egg pattern took this and a bunch of its friends...
qDIRuyX.jpg

along with this, and a bunch of its (his--he was very excited to see me) friends...
YJRwiVR.jpg

Ohamill

East WA Native, West WA Transplant
Those are always a fun little surprise.
Was the fly one you tied yourself? I don’t see that color scheme often. If so, how’d you get the head so even? My chenille heads are always off-kilter and wonky.

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
Those are always a fun little surprise.
Was the fly one you tied yourself? I don’t see that color scheme often. If so, how’d you get the head so even? My chenille heads are always off-kilter and wonky.
I'm pretty sure I tied it. The colors are one of the top all time combinations of colors for colored up water for winter run steelhead in my opinion.
Just lucky on the head. Use small chenille figure eighted tight around the eyes.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts