What’s Catching You Fish?

Seabull

Certainly not big, but this is the first trout that I caught on a fly I tied myself. A really vibrant and aggressive Brown. Come to think of it, on a fly I tied myself and rod I built.

The salmonfly are hatching in certain areas and the fish are really active - surface and subsurface. A little while after this fish, I got a beautiful football of a redband on another self-tie. A phesant tail soft hackle (no pic).

hatch.jpg

Salmonfly.jpg

1 Brown.jpg

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
Certainly not big, but this is the first trout that I caught on a fly I tied myself. A really vibrant and aggressive Brown. Come to think of it, on a fly I tied myself and rod I built.

The salmonfly are hatching in certain areas and the fish are really active - surface and subsurface. A little while after this fish, I got a beautiful football of a redband on another self-tie. A phesant tail soft hackle (no pic).

View attachment 280570

View attachment 280568

View attachment 280569
A great memory you'll enjoy forever.
Congratulations.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
It was 82 degrees this afternoon so I went back out in the fishcat in shorts, fishing a bead head caddis larva under an indicator. What a nice day, so great to have a lake a few minutes from home.
20210505_165637 (2).jpg
from this morning, and leaches

Attachments

• 20210505_053417.jpg
    20210505_053417.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 21
  • 20210505_085041.jpg
    20210505_085041.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 20210505_170912.jpg
    20210505_170912.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
It was so windy I could hardly cast an indicator rig, and it wasn't working too well anyways. Brought 2 rods so I ended up trolling/kicking around with a full sink line, wiggling the line side to side, or pulling in for a pause.. While my olive wooly bugger was good, the peach booby was the fly! It's worms and marshmallows with the wife, kids and grandkids today. HAPPY MOTHERS DAY! :) 20210508_141118 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
This ridiculously easy to tie fly
pmA9QQh.jpg

Put a decent number of these guys in the net...
ZJDPiE5.jpg

sUSuzZ7.jpg

nLrmjO3.jpg

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Hell yeah. Hook and hook size?
Ahrex TP605 (trout predator lite) mostly 1/0. For bass, I usually use either 1/0 or 2/0 to keep the really little ones away (although, I've still caught plenty of 6" bass on this fly tied on 1/0). I posted in the vise thread what is basically this with eyes and no bucktail. This version swims better.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
@Northern did you move your AK trip from last year to this year?

If so, bring both those patterns. Rainbows on bass poppers (and morish mice) was some of the most fun I had fishing the river near that lodge.
We did! Going in late June.

That's actually what I tied that mouse for, but I couldn't resist trying it out on the smallies!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info