Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

What’s Catching You Fish?

137K views 1K replies 166 participants last post by  Buzzy 
#1 ·
In the spirit of the What's in Your Vise thread, where all of these truly wonderful works of art are shown, I thought it might be nice to see those works of art in action.

Some folks have already done this, but how about a picture of the fly in the vise and then the same fly in a fish?

This is @b_illymac 's pattern called The Gloater
Pollinator Insect Arthropod Wing Feather

And this is a resident coho that ate it under an indicator in the salt.
Photograph Eye Vertebrate White Light

See less See more
#3 ·
In the spirit of the What's in Your Vise thread, where all of these truly wonderful works of art are shown, I thought it might be nice to see those works of art in action.

Some folks have already done this, but how about a picture of the fly in the vise and then the same fly in a fish?

This is @b_illymac 's pattern called The Gloater View attachment 191992
And this is a resident coho that ate it under an indicator in the salt.
View attachment 191993
looks like the bottom fish got a bloody eye

#8 ·
Herring fly and hatchery coho on my 6wt.

View attachment 192014 View attachment 192015
@Kfish , is that fly adapted from this SBS? Looks similar!

https://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/129483/

I started tying pretty recently, and I'm wanting to get decent at tying up herring patterns by coho season. I've been trying to work through that SBS, with mixed results (can't figure out the EP brush palmering part). Curious if you use the same materials in your ties!

#21 ·
I think the last fish I caught on a fly was a bull trout back in late December. He ate a Bull Buster unsurprisingly. Since then I have ditched the weighted flies and micro skagit heads for an all-out assault on winter steelhead on the long rod. I've had 2 grabs, nothing more. I think my mindset is right, though.... I get super excited about the days when something bumped my flies, and enjoy the process in general a ton.

With that being said, I'm looking at my and 7 weight and getting the streamer itch again. Operation: Winter Steelhead on a stripped bug? Might not be as ridiculous as it sounds.

#32 · (Edited)
I've recently become fascinated with kebari patterns to use for both Tenkara and western rod and reel.
20180522_162225.jpg

2018 05 01_0046.JPG
2018 06 15_0110.JPG

20180522_162853_004.jpg
2018 05 14_0054.JPG
20181105_212741.jpg
20181105_112302.jpg