Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

What’s Catching You Fish?

136K views 1K replies 166 participants last post by  Buzzy 
#1 ·
In the spirit of the What's in Your Vise thread, where all of these truly wonderful works of art are shown, I thought it might be nice to see those works of art in action.

Some folks have already done this, but how about a picture of the fly in the vise and then the same fly in a fish?

This is @b_illymac 's pattern called The Gloater
Pollinator Insect Arthropod Wing Feather

And this is a resident coho that ate it under an indicator in the salt.
Photograph Eye Vertebrate White Light

See less See more
#889 · (Edited)
It was so windy I could hardly cast an indicator rig, and it wasn't working too well anyways. Brought 2 rods so I ended up trolling/kicking around with a full sink line, wiggling the line side to side, or pulling in for a pause.. While my olive wooly bugger was good, the peach booby was the fly! It's worms and marshmallows with the wife, kids and grandkids today. HAPPY MOTHERS DAY! :)
20210508_141118 (2).jpg

#897 ·
#912 · (Edited)
Nice!

Are you using the stripping basket because you are using a sinking line? If so, does it help casting?

Thanks!
Stripping baskets are great for keeping your fly line from getting tangled on rocks, seaweed, around your legs, etc... and in general help with "line management" and casting while wading. highly recommend trying one.

Reactions: Stonefish
#917 ·
#920 ·
I built it from 1/8" brass brazing rods that I bent and soldered together.
I put surgical tubing on the rod holding curves to cushion the rods.
It works well for me.
I use heavy rubber bands to hold the rods in place and zip ties to secure the holders to the d-rings.
I heated a nail to melt the holes in the upper side of the storage bags. It made a precise hole that won't unravel.
When I make another I will leave an inch or two more space between the rod holding hooks as the tips sometimes get tangled though not often.
Sincerely,
Mac'Gyver ;)
Light Bag Sleeve Musical instrument accessory Headgear
Sleeve Bag Cap Waist Street fashion
Bag Luggage and bags Denim Automotive exterior Gas
Outerwear Textile Sleeve Grey Sportswear
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

#921 ·
I built it from 1/8" brass brazing rods that I bent and soldered together.
I put surgical tubing on the rod holding curves to cushion the rods.
It works well for me.
I use heavy rubber bands to hold the rods in place and zip ties to secure the holders to the d-rings.
I heated a nail to melt the holes in the upper side of the storage bags. It made a precise hole that won't unravel.
When I make another I will leave an inch or two more space between the rod holding hooks as the tips sometimes get tangled though not often.
Sincerely,
Mac'Gyver ;)
View attachment 282114 View attachment 282115 View attachment 282116 View attachment 282117 View attachment 282118
Thanks so much! Well done!