Ireland in April/May

mjb

I'm heading to Ireland for two weeks in late April and hoping to fish in the West for Atlantic Salmon and seatrout. I'll have limited time for fishing, so looking for a guide/ghillie for a day or two. I understand I'll likely need to reserve/pay a fee for a piece of water as well as buy a license.

One question: is it worth carrying a pack rod for quick lake or shore fishing opportunities -assuming there's public access? Otherwise, I am planning to let the guide set me up with all equipment.

If any WFFs have been there I'd like to hear from you about your experience and any recommended places and guides.

thanks, Mark

BWBratt

I drove up the west coast in September of 2017. I stayed with Larry and Michelle McCarthy at Lake Corrib, right outside of Cong Village. I drove around the west coast and up through Connemara to their place and fished some of the rural lakes before getting to their place. You're timing is right inline with good trout fishing. I explored Salmon/Searun, but the runs didn't seem that strong and the lodges seemed really expensive.

While I don't think Salmon is Larry's game, he's a 2nd-generation guide and knows most people in the area, and can likely connect you. Great person, and very experienced world-wide guide. Here's his contact details:

http://corribangling.com/
Larry and Michelle McCarthy [email protected]

Beautiful area, would like to go back.

Cheers,
Blake

Attachments

dld

I was in Ireland a few years back, but had no intentions of fishing. I spent a week in the house my great grandfather was born in. I highly recommend the Beara peninsula.

The house I stayed in is owned by my second cousin and was/is an air bnb.

mjb

I drove up the west coast in September of 2017. I stayed with Larry and Michelle McCarthy at Lake Corrib, right outside of Cong Village. I drove around the west coast and up through Connemara to their place and fished some of the rural lakes before getting to their place. You're timing is right inline with good trout fishing. I explored Salmon/Searun, but the runs didn't seem that strong and the lodges seemed really expensive.

While I don't think Salmon is Larry's game, he's a 2nd-generation guide and knows most people in the area, and can likely connect you. Great person, and very experienced world-wide guide. Here's his contact details:

http://corribangling.com/
Larry and Michelle McCarthy [email protected]

Beautiful area, would like to go back.

Cheers,
Blake
Thanks, Blake, I'll look them up.

dld

By the by, beware of driving in Ireland, most insurance and credit card insurance will not cover you driving in Ireland. It is one of the five highest wreck countries in the world.

garyk

A few years ago, I was able to spend 10 days in the NW part, mostly County Mayo and points west. If you know what to look for, the whole landscape is a historical museum, absent "interpretive" displays. Everywhere you looked there were historical sites. The pre-Christian era sites were amazing and the landscape is full of sacred alignments. But again, you need to know what to look for and there's no one there to guide you.

The concept of "The Commons" is engrained and you can pretty much walk anywhere you choose....never saw a No-Trespassing sign. However, when it comes to taking fish or game off the property, that seemed to be whole different matter.

I passed on a guided lake trip for brown trout as a couple foot long brown trout didn't warrant the time and expense. We fished the estuary at Killala Bay without success. That bay and even the surrounding ocean is pretty much fished out. The commercial guys on the bay are reduced to gillnetting skates. There was some excitement among the locals about some mackeral that appeared in a nearby river. In the town of Sligo, I did see a couple guys fishing for Atlantics although we didn't hear of any being caught.

David Loy

Senior Moment
I (& family) circumnavigated Ireland by car last May. Didn’t fish. US insurance companies won’t cover you in Ireland, too great a risk. So you’re only option is to buy insurance at the rental counter. Beware of any US outfit that purports to provide any. The car rental companies will not accept them.
Driving IS a challenge. There are only a few highways so 90% of your driving is on VERY curvy roads from 8’ wide up to 15, 10 being real common. There are pullouts to let the tour busses, other cars & trucks, farm equipment, and the thousands of American bicyclists pass. Add in that your on the other side of the road (& car), there will be exciting moments. I did enjoy the challenge, just another game to play. At least half of the folks that we’ve talked to, that have driven over there, had some kind of fender bender.

sroffe

By the by, beware of driving in Ireland, most insurance and credit card insurance will not cover you driving in Ireland. It is one of the five highest wreck countries in the world.
I can believe that. Roads are narrow, and the cars are getting bigger. We drove there around 15 years ago.

BTW, I was told, there is more public access to waters in Ireland than in England. But, that was 15 years ago too.

dld

I can believe that. Roads are narrow, and the cars are getting bigger. We drove there around 15 years ago.

BTW, I was told, there is more public access to waters in Ireland than in England. But, that was 15 years ago too.
I expect that is true. I only went to Ireland because I was on a the month install in England/Wales, and my parents meet me over there. The UK is pretty horrible about access. Ireland (the green, I don't know about the orange) has a ton of farms that will let people on their access. I should preface that with having accessed places (not for fishing) with locals. Cool people.

It will be raining, it will be cold, it will be beautiful.

David Loy

Senior Moment
Kinsale was a great place to visit, South Island. If you’re going there try to book a walking tour with Barry Maloney, part of “Don and Barry’s Walking Tours”. Definitely worthwhile and one of our favorite memories, of many.
You’ll have a great time. Enjoy.

Riogrande King

We luckily stumbled upon this event. The "Taste of Lough Corrib", a spread based on fish taken from the lough, was wonderful. I didn't get to fish in the competition (they were deadly serious and scoffed when I asked to just ride along) but did get a couple days guided fishing out of those amazing lapstrake boats. Cheap, too!
Ireland IS magical. But my wife had to do all the driving- way too nerve wracking for me.

1549560456466.png

kpb

Driving in Ireland is fun. Add some farm equipment thats pulling onto the road and bicyclists and then you're really having fun.

Attachments

Latest posts