Anyone else here have aspirations of becoming a fly fishing model?

GAT

Dumbfounded
Now that I think about it, I guess I was an unintentional flyfishing model for the Pendleton Newspaper.

Long ago, just after fishing season opened, I was fishing the Umatilla River with my Dad just downstream from a bridge into Pendleton where my folks lived. Dad's bad shoulder kept him from flyfishing so he used spin gear with a casting bubble and a fly.

I had waded to the center of the river and was casting to a riffle when I heard someone yelling something somewhere. I looked toward the voice and saw a guy standing on the bridge holding a camera. He was hard to hear over the flow of the river but I thought he was asking my name and where I was from. I yelled back the information he requested and figured there was no way he could hear me.

I thought he might be a reporter taking opening day shots and most likely stopped to take a photo of a fly angler because in those days, fly angling in NE Oregon was and oddity. And if he was a reporter, there was no way in hell he'd get my name right.

Turns out, he did. I had returned to Corvallis with Virginia when my folks told me I was on the front page of the Pendleton paper and they had indeed got my name and home city correct.

They used that photo for years and years to go with opening day fishing articles in the paper.

So, I was indeed a fishing model if I wanted to be or not.

Those Sonic Pros are built more for comfort than for fashion. Going on 4 or 5 seasons with them now.

Wow you've had better luck with them than I ever had. I've worn Sonic Pros for quite a few years now and have never had a pair last even a year before they start leaking.

Was never a big deal since I live 30 minutes from the factory and could just bring them in for warranty replacement, but now it seems Redington has really cracked down on the warranty use. That's fine, but I won't purchase them again. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a pair of 300-400 dollar waders to last longer than a year.

They were quite comfortable but I sure hated how the top half fit. The lower half were fairly form fitting but the top half always felt like I could swim in them

Jojo

Trout Fear Me
Now that I think about it, I guess I was an unintentional flyfishing model for the Pendleton Newspaper.

Long ago, just after fishing season opened, I was fishing the Umatilla River with my Dad just downstream from a bridge into Pendleton where my folks lived. Dad's bad shoulder kept him from flyfishing so he used spin gear with a casting bubble and a fly.

I had waded to the center of the river and was casting to a riffle when I heard someone yelling something somewhere. I looked toward the voice and saw a guy standing on the bridge holding a camera. He was hard to hear over the flow of the river but I thought he was asking my name and where I was from. I yelled back the information he requested and figured there was no way he could hear me.

I thought he might be a reporter taking opening day shots and most likely stopped to take a photo of a fly angler because in those days, fly angling in NE Oregon was and oddity. And if he was a reporter, there was no way in hell he'd get my name right.

Turns out, he did. I had returned to Corvallis with Virginia when my folks told me I was on the front page of the Pendleton paper and they had indeed got my name and home city correct.

They used that photo for years and years to go with opening day fishing articles in the paper.

So, I was indeed a fishing model if I wanted to be or not.
Do you have a copy of it? It would be cool to post it here.
Also..... @nic ....kinda not cool, gotta say.

20+ years ago, I heard of a fly fishing movie in the works so I sent in some shots with my resume.
When I heard from the future that the movie would wreck fly fishing forever, I bailed.

Last edited:

Latest posts