Cedar River opening?

Old Man

Just an Old Man
The rivers used to open sometimes in the Middle of May. Then it went the Saturday before Memorial Day and then the first Saturday in June Then they changed it again. The high lakes used to open the same day as the rivers did. Then they bunched the lakes altogether so now they are open all year around and some open in April. They just don't seem to do anything forever.

The rivers used to open sometimes in the Middle of May. Then it went the Saturday before Memorial Day and then the first Saturday in June Then they changed it again. The high lakes used to open the same day as the rivers did. Then they bunched the lakes altogether so now they are open all year around and some open in April. They just don't seem to do anything forever.
High Lakes are mostly untouched and inaccessible until near mid July is most cases here. Nature pretty much sets the season of High Lakes. That's good because those fine fishing gems are only harassed around 4-5 months a year (if that) I've seen some real concerning limits of trout within large groups.

Thankfully there are plenty of alpine gems out there that don't get disturbed much :cool:

Never fished the Cedar and most likely never will, but I sure do enjoy seeing all the passion you all show towards that river and fishery. I also highly enjoy reading the yearly Cedar thread where you all post pics, share stories, techniques, flies etc. It's a shining example of what is so great about this forum.
It definitely takes a bit of courage to fish the Cedar at times. Some occupants can be borderline dangerous to be around.

Lots of citizens we chat with are curious on the fishery and have even offered to keep an eye on foul behavior when anglers are not around.

It's a pretty incredible world class wild trout fishery in a split of urban/semi wilderness setting. Some parts are heavily developed and modified, while you can easily drive to multiple spots that offer a bit of seclusion, plenty of trees and even a little noise cancelation of the busy town.

It's a fishery that deserves the dedication and protection. It's actually a great candidate for a C&R fly fish only system for us westsiders imo.

Latest posts