Streamers and spey flies for trout

WA-Fly

Tying some "intruder" style flies for my trout spey I feel pretty confident but am looking for more inspiration on streamers for swinging. Thoughts? And what are ya'll tying?
20190208_200344.jpg

Bob Rankin

Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)
Wooly buggers, sculpins, baitfish imitations and muddlers. You don’t always have to go big.

I was killin it just using various wooly buggers when I was home two weeks ago.

I took quit a few on just a slow deep swing, but they also liked an animated pop of the line in the swing as well.

WA-Fly

I've done really good with buggers as well. I have a bunch of flashy olive ones with hot orange bead heads that knock em but I'd like to diversify my box with flies that have a lot of motion in them with the least amount of animation by me, and I feel its always nice to have flies with different profiles.

wetswinger

Though it's not true streamer fishing, I've had good success swinging soft hackle flies. Sometimes less is more. A little peacock hurl body with partridge is simple and effective. I have some with a small bead head used with a sink tip line. Great fun to get a tug on..

Bob Rankin

Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)
When I get home in a few weeks I’ll post a few pics of some rabbit strip and marabou creations I made that worked great on the Yak. They cast really well also.

cmann886

Very nice. If you are looking for a simple, but effective pattern, an Olive squirrel zonker style fly with some fur palmered at the head end to give it a wider profile at the head works very well for trout spey applications. But then given the weather we are having simple and quick might not be an issue.

WA-Fly

Very nice. If you are looking for a simple, but effective pattern, an Olive squirrel zonker style fly with some fur palmered at the head end to give it a wider profile at the head works very well for trout spey applications. But then given the weather we are having simple and quick might not be an issue.
I have a couple of flies kind of like this that I haven't tested yet, I've not fished a zonke type fly in a while. I've never had much success with them as opposed to more sparse streamers or buggers, but I still have faith and always keep a couple in the box

Pine squirrel leech in size 8-10. Theres a pine squirrel leech pattern from umpqua that rides hook up called the hell razor leech that is just awesome. Feel like fish come unbuttoned less frequently with this than with the other flies. But in general I like all of the pine squirrel leech patterns. Great swimming action and easy to cast. And most recently I caught a few swinging a bright red mohair leech. Go figure.

Last year I enjoyed messing around with a flatwing concept on sculpin patterns. The deer hair head to tapered feather tail had a really nice taper. You can put whatever materials under the wing and it still has the same swimming action. Was a great way to creatively incorporate a lot of materials without screwing up the profile/action of the fly.

I've done really good with buggers as well. I have a bunch of flashy olive ones with hot orange bead heads that knock em but I'd like to diversify my box with flies that have a lot of motion in them with the least amount of animation by me, and I feel its always nice to have flies with different profiles.
Hi, I am using craft fur and my baitfish patterns really have movement.

Latest posts