Abel Reels

I don't know how many Steve Abel/Abel reel fans there are out there,I am a big fan! By chance, I met Steve's son and was able to communicate with Steve,his wife and Son. Steve Abel is now hand building new reels and going through all my other Abel reels. Sharing a picture of the first reel he has built for me. He signed the reel,not sure if I want to fish with it! Lol

Attachments

MT_Flyfisher

I have fished with Abel reels about 90% of the time ever since I bought my first Abel reel, a Big Game #1 model perhaps 25 years ago - and that reel is still working perfectly today. I’ve never used one with an Abel Arm though - how does that work out for you?

In the past several months I’ve purchased 2 used Abel Pt. 5’s and a couple extra spools, here on this forum, and have also purchased a new Abel SDF 4/5 and a new SDF 5/6. I also hope to be getting a new SDF 6/7 with the Brook Trout design finish any day now that I’ve had on order since the middle of December.

I understand that these fancy designs, like on your reel, are individually hand painted and take 6 hours of time to do.

I like to occasionally fish with a fancy design Abel, not because they help me catch fish, but because they make me feel l a little better when I look at them after I get skunked after a long day on the river.

Tim Ihle

Cant beat the beauty and function of the his BG reels. More IGFA line class records have been set or will ever be set by his BG reels than any of the new large arbor sealed drag things of today’s fashionable fly shop anglers. Simply can’t beat Abel BG.

Last edited:
I have never owned one simply because I have never felt the need to pay the money for one.

Yrs ago I found a Spey rod with a Abel reel on it on the bottom of the deschutes river during steelhead season. When I pulled it up the reel work flawlessly. I later found out that it had been in the water for 2 weeks. I did locate the owner and get it back to him.

I have respected the reels ever since. I think they simple and stout. I just frankly don’t have a use for one.

But I am a fan in general of open cork drag reels and I am slowly moving towards having those reels in my arsenal. So I may end up with one at some point in time

I have never owned one simply because I have never felt the need to pay the money for one.

Yrs ago I found a Spey rod with a Abel reel on it on the bottom of the deschutes river during steelhead season. When I pulled it up the reel work flawlessly. I later found out that it had been in the water for 2 weeks. I did locate the owner and get it back to him.

I have respected the reels ever since. I think they simple and stout. I just frankly don’t have a use for one.

But I am a fan in general of open cork drag reels and I am slowly moving towards having those reels in my arsenal. So I may end up with one at some point in time
Let me know if you decide to pull the trigger on an Abel reel. I am very fortunate to be able to get one new,hand built by Steve Abel himself for the cost of used Abel reels on EBay. My email is [email protected]
Tight lines

Tim Ihle

This story does not surprise me. They are bomb proof, have a beautiful classic look, and are capable of stopping sharks and marlins...if need be. A little Neats foot oil on the cork and your set. Perfect for the the angler that likes to poach water or other wise go undetected because they are silent.

Open cork drags are the goods. They don’t seal IN water like others.

Any of the BG reels can be found in like new condition for $250-$300.

Last edited:

Steve Birrer

I just frankly have no use for a reel that isn't an Abel.:D

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
I really like Abel reels. Their simple design, manufacturing tolerances and quality control is second to none. I only have one. An Abel Creek #2 standard arbor and an extra spool. I don't like spending much on production trout reels but I sure like the one I have.

I am not however a fan of thier custom paint jobs. Why do that to a perfectly good looking reel? Your mileage may vary.

TC

Wyobee

I just got into the cork reels, abel does have a way better range of products than say islander or tibor, and some of the customs colors and designs are way, way cool, but tibor everglades and above are just better functionally.

Tim Ihle

Many of the “cassette drag” reels of today will “buck” when big fish head shake and take off...this is no bueno! Not so with an Abel cork disc’r which always has a nice smooth release.

Watch Todd Moens BC nook fishing video and you will see what I mean. And....don’t forget to notice the reel being used, and preferred for mans work, when the other reel begins to fail ;)

Mtbright

Steve is a great guy. He is making his bags again which are very nice and durable. I have a couple of reels from when he owned the company and a couple from the new Abel. Just amazing bulletproof reels. I need a new 4wt reel, and just haven’t decided between a Abel or hatch, I know one of my old pfluegers would work just as well but ...

Wyobee

Hey, I like abel and I own three of them, a tr1, a super 6n, and a 3n and if I could afford it there are several super n seris I would buy in a heartbeat as well as the new sealed drag version which in tests does fairly well against the "modern" reels like nautilus and hatch, but the tibor signature seris is kind of a dog.True you can claim those reel reviews are bogus and for the most part they might be but they do test function, and the super n failed miserably in both Yellowstone's and tridents. The Everglades was still hanging near the top, in Yellowstone's at least, and yet I am pretty sure if they had tested the older big game or 3n they would have placed way better especially in the drag department where it counts in larger wieght reels. Another place to test a reels real worth is in the used market, and abel of any series doesn't do as a well as tibor everglades seris at retaining value but that's just from my personal observation that it's really rare to see a plain black used abel go for over 400$ and tibor does it all the time.

Steve is a great guy. He is making his bags again which are very nice and durable. I have a couple of reels from when he owned the company and a couple from the new Abel. Just amazing bulletproof reels. I need a new 4wt reel, and just haven’t decided between a Abel or hatch, I know one of my old pfluegers would work just as well but ...

Let me know if you decide you want an Abel reel. For the same price as a used Abel reel,for example on EBay, I can get you a new hand built by Steve Abel himself! I am sending Steve all of my Abel reels and he is going through each to make like new again! I am also a big fan of the Abel arm. The Arm helps balance the rod and for me,makes streamer fishing alot easier. Steve offered to put arms on my reels that don't have them.
To me,it is a no brainer! If you are looking for a 4wt reel,an Abel no.1 Big game series will never let you down. The offer to get a new, hand built by the man himself, at the same cost as a used one is just icing on the cake!

Latest posts