Abel Reels

Jamie Dow

By all means fish those pretty reels! That's what they were made for. Abel guy from way back, mostly TRs and now SDF. Never had a problem. Regarding tests, never heard of a single fish being lost due to "start up inertia" and some of the reviewers admit same.

I have been a staunch cork drag guy for a long long time and have shied away from sealed drags. But after talking to Jeff Patterson at Abel and the testing they did with their's in the Keys I decided to give them a go. I have two 9/10 SDSs and they have been my go to reels for redfish the last six months or so. So far I love them but they havent' been tested really. April in the Seychelles will be the real test.

I have been a staunch cork drag guy for a long long time and have shied away from sealed drags. But after talking to Jeff Patterson at Abel and the testing they did with their's in the Keys I decided to give them a go. I have two 9/10 SDSs and they have been my go to reels for redfish the last six months or so. So far I love them but they havent' been tested really. April in the Seychelles will be the real test.
Steve,
Wow! Your trip is a dream I hope to make a reality some time soon. I am sure the Abel reels will do fine. Be sure to update us on your trip. Please share pictures so I can experience vicariously.
Thank you
Vince

Mtbright

Let me know if you decide you want an Abel reel. For the same price as a used Abel reel,for example on EBay, I can get you a new hand built by Steve Abel himself! I am sending Steve all of my Abel reels and he is going through each to make like new again! I am also a big fan of the Abel arm. The Arm helps balance the rod and for me,makes streamer fishing alot easier. Steve offered to put arms on my reels that don't have them.
To me,it is a no brainer! If you are looking for a 4wt reel,an Abel no.1 Big game series will never let you down. The offer to get a new, hand built by the man himself, at the same cost as a used one is just icing on the cake!
Thanks, my Abel #2’s are from Steve, I will add his bags are really nice. I have his wader bag and his 10 day bag.

Attachments

Let me know if you decide you want an Abel reel. For the same price as a used Abel reel,for example on EBay, I can get you a new hand built by Steve Abel himself! I am sending Steve all of my Abel reels and he is going through each to make like new again! I am also a big fan of the Abel arm. The Arm helps balance the rod and for me,makes streamer fishing alot easier. Steve offered to put arms on my reels that don't have them.
To me,it is a no brainer! If you are looking for a 4wt reel,an Abel no.1 Big game series will never let you down. The offer to get a new, hand built by the man himself, at the same cost as a used one is just icing on the cake!
I believe that an Abel Big Game 1, is closer to a 6 or 7 wt, than a 4 wt. reel. I think that Big Game pt. 5 reel is closer to a 4 wt.

see: https://abelreels.com/main/specifications/

gt

first time i opened one of mine up, i knew i had an engineering marvel. keep the cork lubricated and go fish. have caught some GIANT fish and many trout with my Abel arsenal. that said, i also really appreciate my Danielson's with sealed, very smooth. drags, also in a variety of sizes to match my antique rod collection.

I don't know how many Steve Abel/Abel reel fans there are out there,I am a big fan! By chance, I met Steve's son and was able to communicate with Steve,his wife and Son. Steve Abel is now hand building new reels and going through all my other Abel reels. Sharing a picture of the first reel he has built for me. He signed the reel,not sure if I want to fish with it! Lol

I am a big fan of the original Abel reels, even some of the next gen. The reels now are,,,well dreadful. Did I understand correctly, is Steve building reels again???????

Yes..... I want well many. Please contact

Tim Ihle

I only have 3 Abel reels, all are Big Game reels. Two are the newer style of BG reels with lots of oblong porting and square teeth on the drag plate. The other is an older version with circular porting on the spool and shark teeth on the drag plate. Which is the nicest you may ask? The older one with circular porting primarily because I like its sound better than the square tooth drag plate.