NFR Favorite Movie Quotes

BDD

With a little extra time on my hands due to weather and some family being away, I wound up watching a John Wayne movie on YouTube last night and he had a quote in there that has instantly become one of my favorites. In the movie "The Undefeated" John Henry Thomas (Wayne) was explaining to another women why is ex wife left him. He explained that she didn't like various aspects of living away from the city (weather, wilderness, and others) and certain things about him (his independence). Then he stated the following:

"When I want to go hunting and fishing, I go hunting and fishing. And she didn't like that".

And since the Rams have been the focus of a lot of discussion recently, the movie also included Roman Gabriel and Merlin Olsen in minor roles. Rock Hudson also had a starring role.

A couple of other notable scenes:
When negotiating a horse sale with two representatives from the US government and foreigners in Mexico, Wayne accused the two men of profiting $10 a head, which lowered the price from $35 to $25. One man took offense and pulled a gun on Wayne, who promptly backhanded him to the ground. While grabbing the other one by his shirt, in his defense he quickly said "Wait a minute, I didn't do anything". Wayne says, "Well you should have" and then landed a right hand to his jaw, dropping him to the floor.

Finally, after already proving his loyalty but still being questioned by the southern captain about the whereabouts of his companion who left the night before, Wayne starts explaining the situation in great detail and getting riled at the captain's questions, after which he states, "...and I haven't done this much explaining in years. Don't press me captain".

I remember my dad using the term, "He's a man's man". I'm still not sure what that means but I think maybe John Wayne's movie roles depicts what my father meant.

It is interesting to see the dialogue, behavior, and attitudes displayed from our past compared to today. I have no idea how accurate this stuff is but I think there might be some truth to it. I like the no-nonsense approach of the past, at least how I see it depicted in books and movies. I can't help but think we've lost some ground with today's politically correct world.

Anyway, I have drifted off topic a little bit. What are your favorite movie quotes and why?

Last edited:

Squamishpoacher

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.

Nick Clayton

Tombstone has a ton of great quotes but my favorite was always the scene when Doc and company had the shootout with the bad guys near the river.

"Doc you ought to be in bed. What the hell you doing this for anyway?"

"Because Wyatt Earp is my friend"

"Hell, I've got lots of friends"

"I don't"

This one has stuck with me since the first time I saw the movie. I value loyalty above most things in life, and always related to this scene and this quote. I don't have a ton of close friends, but the ones I do have I would go to the end of the earth for.

BDD

Squamish Poacher and Nick Clayton:

I have used both of those quotes here in the past in similar threads. They both mean a lot to me as well, for perhaps similar reasons.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
"I don't have a toomah!" Arnold Schwartzanner /Kindergarten Cop

“I'm a mog - half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend.” John Candy/Spaceballs

“We Romans are rich. We've got a lot of gods. We've got a god for everything. The
only thing we don't have a god for is premature ejaculation but I hear that's coming
quickly.”
 History of the World Part One/ Mel Brooks

“The last time I was inside a woman was when I visited the Statue of Liberty.”
 Crimes and Misdemeanors/ Woody Allen

“I think most Scottish cuisine is based on a dare.” Mike Meyers

“Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.”
 Leslie Neilsen

Last edited:

up2nogood

Tombstone has a ton of great quotes but my favorite was always the scene when Doc and company had the shootout with the bad guys near the river.

"Doc you ought to be in bed. What the hell you doing this for anyway?"

"Because Wyatt Earp is my friend"

"Hell, I've got lots of friends"

"I don't"

This one has stuck with me since the first time I saw the movie. I value loyalty above most things in life, and always related to this scene and this quote. I don't have a ton of close friends, but the ones I do have I would go to the end of the earth for.
Yes, there were several in that movie, my favorite :

Oh! Johnny, I apologize , I forgot you were there, you may go now

The reason why for me is , its one of my favorite movies, watched it more then any other .

Latest posts