Thought I would share

Bowbonehead

Always wondered why I was given a blank stare when I told my cousins from Florida that we plugged our cars in at night......

COtoWA

This work thing keeps getting in the way
The big problem for most of them is how do I get to Starbucks and my Prius is stuck going up the hill.
Can't understand why people are freaking out about a little snow storm

Mark Moore

Just a Member
My mom lives just north of Detroit, it's the second week of February and she just said something to me about the weather for the first time this winter and that's only because the national news said something about the snow in the PNW.
The folks in that part of the country are hardcore when it comes to the cold, but come August she'll be calling me every few days complaining about the heat and humidity and I'll ask her what humidity is....

Mark Dankel

Let's be fair. In Chicago, they have the equipment and crews to clear the white stuff and drivers have the experience req'd to drive around in it. Seattle has neither. One is the city of broad shoulders and the other, well, not-so-much. But as Mark Moore writes, Seattle in July - 80°F maybe; Chicago, 90-95°F with stifling humidity likely. (Lived in both for years so just calling it as I see it.)

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I was in Chicago in the heat one summer. I thought that I was coming down with heat stroke. I couldn't stop sweating no matter what I did to cool down. I sat in front of a huge fan and that didn't help. I finally got out of the city and then I cooled down. I have since tried to stay out of places that are to god damn hot.

Butte sits at about a mile high. WE don't get hot in the summer time. Maybe a few days in the summer will hit 90. But most of the time it's in the 80's. I can live with that.

Let's be fair. In Chicago, they have the equipment and crews to clear the white stuff and drivers have the experience req'd to drive around in it. Seattle has neither. One is the city of broad shoulders and the other, well, not-so-much. But as Mark Moore writes, Seattle in July - 80°F maybe; Chicago, 90-95°F with stifling humidity likely. (Lived in both for years so just calling it as I see it.)
Exactly! The town we lived in near Lake Ontario was about the same size as Richland, WA. That town had ~36 snow plows while Richland has 6. That doesn't include the fleet of sidewalk plows. Snow starts around Halloween and lasts until March with occasional dumps in April. So you have to figure out how to drive in snow and ice.

KerryS

Ignored Member
I was working in Anchorage, AK one year when the first big snow storm of the season hit. It seemed to me those Alaskans drove a lot like everyone else in the snow. They were wrecking about as much as anywhere else I’ve lived including Seattle. I think they get better as the winter continues but that first big snow there sure were a lot of spin outs and wrecks.

Mark Dankel

For real entertainment, take a chair alongside the 40 miles of I-10 between El Paso, TX and Las Cruces, NM when a little snow falls, or worse, freezing rain quickly makes “black ice” patches. Bring pop-corn. In one night I counted 18 spin-outs in the median. Fortunately, there were no apparent injuries or accidents. (Well, some laundry may have needed to be done.)

gt

grew up in chicago. people didn't drive much in the winter, they took transit to work and back home. it was a way of life that continues to this day. and keep in mind, chicago is flat as a pancake so no hills to contend with. and i remember really big snow storms back them, feet of white stuff that just kept coming.

seattle is not equipped for snow and probably never will be. the transit in this city is pretty much a joke as folks won't give up their vehicles for love nor money, so folks have a tough to impossible time getting to and from work.

we had 14" on the level on my driveway here in Sequim and today, snowing like crazy but 32 degrees so stuff is melting off of the roof, interesting to watch this transition but i am tired of the white.

Last edited:

FinLuver

My mom lives just north of Detroit, it's the second week of February and she just said something to me about the weather for the first time this winter and that's only because the national news said something about the snow in the PNW.
The folks in that part of the country are hardcore when it comes to the cold, but come August she'll be calling me every few days complaining about the heat and humidity and I'll ask her what humidity is....
Spent a summer in upper NJ...after taking a shower and toweling off...I was still soaked.
May was nice, June was OK, July was yuck, August was yuckier...

Latest posts