Hook price sticker shock.

Salmo_g

Maybe it's my senior citizen status, but the price of hooks just floors me. Probably because by careful shopping 30 and 40 years ago, I built up a good supply of trout fly hooks when I could buy them for $1.38 per box of 100. Now I seldom see hooks available in boxes of 100. These last 2 months being the tackle catalog season, I was flipping the pages, and it's $5.25 to $6.85 for packs of 25 or 30. Yeah, I know, inflation, but really that much? We're talking over a 10-fold increase in price, from less than $2.00 to over $20.00 per 100.

Does price matter to any of you tiers? If so, what brands do you buy, and what suppliers do you buy from?

I needed to restock some hooks last season, so I looked around and found a store back east that sells Mustads by the 100, so I got a better price than what I'm reading in the catalogs, but $100 sure didn't go very far.

IveofIone

It's not just hooks! I had some sticker shock myself today. Several people are wanting to buy my Lance trailer and if I sell it I'll have a pocket full of cash to buy something else. Just out of curiosity I looked at Alaskan Campers and their base model for an 8' bed started at $31K with no options! Ouch!! I thought that was really excessive for something with no wheels and no engine.

So then I looked up 4 Wheel Campers and checked the price of their 8' popup. About $20k with no options and I mean no options. It would take almost 10K more to outfit it comfortably. And the options are really ridiculously overpriced. They wanted $1,100 for a 160 watt solar panel with a charge controller. I paid under $200 for a 100 watt model with a charge controller last year and bought another 100 watt panel for $99!

Anything in the RV or van world has suddenly become very expensive. When I bought my 2017 Lance 19' trailer in 2017 the list price was about $39,000. This year the same model with few changes is going for 45-48K! So since hooks are recreational I guess there is no limit to the amount they can inflate. Hooks, lines, rods, waders, pickup trucks-anything you can have fun with-seem to have inflated far more than the average inflation rate. The Fun Tax is really gouging us.

Speyrod GB

Hooks have increased in price. I have found Daiichi hooks to be fairly inexpensive compared to Tiemco. Is there a difference, I'm not sure yet. They seem to be pretty sharp. Time will tell. I have used some of The Fly Shoppe hooks. They are fairly inexpensive and seem to be fairly good.

IveofIone, my current Keystone trailer is a piece of crap. I'm quite sure they have quantity control instead of quality control. Unfortunately my warranty has expired. Keep your current RV rather buying a new one. I'm sure you have worked the bugs out of it. Most RV manufactures just want the things out on the road. They expect problems, which is a PITA for the owner.

I try like hell to buy 100 packs or better as much as I can. I've also been experimenting with some inexpensive house brand hooks with good success.

I'm only buying saltwater hooks but I buy a lot.

Daiichi 2546 in size 2,4, and 6 are easily my most used, and I generally order them in 100 packs from J Stockard. They just wrapped up their annual hook sale so they were 15% off. That brought the 100 pack to about 21 bucks I believe so I stocked up.

J Stockard also sells a house brand hook that is a bit cheaper. They come in 50 packs and they are about 9 bucks for a pack in their saltwater hook that is basically the equivalent of the 2546. I've had great luck with these hooks so far. They have a whole lineup of freshwater hooks. I've never tried them but based on the saltwater hook I wouldn't be afraid of them

Wholesaleflycompany.com also sells a house brand hook that is even cheaper. I recently bought their salt hook to try out but haven't used them long enough to form any opinion. I buy all my beads and cones from them and saw they added hooks so I bought some to try.

I've become a big fan of Kona hooks lately and Caddis Fly Shop sells them in packs as large as 250. I think I paid about 80 bucks or so for 250 size 4 Universal Strong Streamer hooks not long ago. Not cheap but cheaper than the Ahrex hooks that they seem to be the equivalent of, and I think I prefer the Kona.

Bears Den Fly shop has Gamakatsu SC15 in 100 packs so I generally load up on those about twice a year.

I like to be on mailing lists so I can watch out for promos and sales. J Stockard just sent me a 10% off coupon I'll be using for my next order.

I haven't tried them but I noticed TheFlyshop.com has house hooks for super cheap. Like 2.50 for 100. No idea of the quality but might be worth checking out. From what I understand most of the fly tying hooks available are all made at the same few factories so there is a good chance these house brand hooks are not much different than the name brands and possibly pretty much exactly the same thing.

I like shopping local when I can but I tie a ton of flies and the cost of hooks can really add up. By searching around online, watching for sales, and buying bulk I can keep the prices down as best as possible.

chewydog

My .02. Some folks fish with $900 rods, 500 reels, 120 fly lines, and you're going to skimp on the actual iron in the fishes mouth? Depends on species of course, but in the smaller trout sizes, I've had cheaper hook such as Dai Riki break not at the bend, but just behind the eye. Think of the time and expense of learning to tie flies and the equipment involved and then losing fish because you saved .04 cents. :(

when the time comes, i usually buy hooks when jstockard has their 15% off hook sale (sign up for their email specials)

i dont tie enough to buy in bulk 100 packs

Krusty

I buy a variety of hooks, all at the two flyshops in Spokane, at relatively high prices, because I'd like them both to stay in business. I buy as much stuff local as I can, and never use their shops as a showroom for internet purchases.

RV (and truck) prices are through the roof because fuel prices are low. Eventually it will reverse itself when the economy tanks and fuel prices inevitably increase substantially.

Maybe it's my senior citizen status, but the price of hooks just floors me. Probably because by careful shopping 30 and 40 years ago, I built up a good supply of trout fly hooks when I could buy them for $1.38 per box of 100. Now I seldom see hooks available in boxes of 100. These last 2 months being the tackle catalog season, I was flipping the pages, and it's $5.25 to $6.85 for packs of 25 or 30. Yeah, I know, inflation, but really that much? We're talking over a 10-fold increase in price, from less than $2.00 to over $20.00 per 100.

Does price matter to any of you tiers? If so, what brands do you buy, and what suppliers do you buy from?

I needed to restock some hooks last season, so I looked around and found a store back east that sells Mustads by the 100, so I got a better price than what I'm reading in the catalogs, but $100 sure didn't go very far.
I also recall buying Mustad hooks for about $1.38 per 100 in the mid-1960’s. I think that’s what most of us tied our flies on at that time, and many still use them today. They were very functional hooks, but were not particularly high quality.

If we simply applied the consumer price index to account for inflation from then to now, that same $1.38 box of 100 Mustad hooks would cost 7 to 8 times as much today, or around $10.00 per box. If you look around, you can still find them for close to that price, more or less.

Today’s hooks are a better quality, overall, in my opinion than those old Mustads. Depending on what type of fishing you do, however, paying for that higher quality might not really be justified in the overall picture. For me personally though, it seems pretty reasonable to pay $20.00 or so per 100 for those higher quality hooks.

I’m tying most of my flies on Tiemco hooks these days, however, and depending on the model, they can cost upwards of $30.00/100. I don’t know how I can really justify paying that much, but I do nonetheless. What I really need help on though is how to justify that cost when my wife asks me why I’m spending so much on my fly fishing and fly tying equipment.

Latest posts