Hook price sticker shock.

I wonder if the recent Trump administration's trade tariffs on China imports, steel etc., is having an impact.
Negatively or positively? Please explain.
Mustad hooks are made of Swedish steel. Tiemco hooks are made of Japanese steel. Eagle Claw are made of US steel. Some of Partridge hooks are made by Mustad of Swedish steel. Not sure about Gamakatsu but will assume Japanese steel. Daichi hooks are made in Korea not sure about the steel.

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
Negatively or positively? Please explain.
Mustad hooks are made of Swedish steel. Tiemco hooks are made of Japanese steel. Eagle Claw are made of US steel. Some of Partridge hooks are made by Mustad of Swedish steel. Not sure about Gamakatsu but will assume Japanese steel. Daichi hooks are made in Korea not sure about the steel.
That's why I said I was wondering. Not accusing. And some Chinese steel makes it's way across borders, into other markets.

Kilchis

The steel tariff is not limited to Chinese steel.

“These duty requirements are effective with respect to goods entered, or withdrawn from warehouse for consumption, on or after 12:01 a.m. eastern daylight time on March 23, 2018.

COMMODITY

Steel mill and aluminum articles, as specified in the Presidential Proclamations.

COUNTRIES COVERED BY SECTION 232 IMPORT DUTIES

Please note that the Section 232 measures are based on the country of origin, not the country of export.

Steel

As of June 1, 2018: All countries of origin except Argentina, Australia, Brazil, and South Korea.”

Heard Trevor Tatarczuk (helluva BC chironomid tyer/innovator) in a podcast this week say he liked Togen's hooks.... Not being familiar with them, I went to their site, saw their assortment and pricing ($8.27/100 USD) and placed an order. Looking forward to try'n 'em.

https://togensflyshop.com

Last edited:

SilverFly

Got a pack of 3/0 Owner AKI saltwater hooks from an online shop last week. Definitely some sticker shock with a 28 pack for $32.95 ($1.18 each). While not a true "fly" hook, it's a great profile for tying many salt patterns (also somewhat ironically called a "fly liner" live bait hook).

20190302_114406.jpg

In spite of the hefty price, they appear to be worth it. Hypodermic sharp, and I suspect strong enough to snap any fly line on the market before bending or breaking. Think I found my new hook for tuna flies.

Got a pack of 3/0 Owner AKI saltwater hooks from an online shop last week. Definitely some sticker shock with a 28 pack for $32.95 ($1.18 each). While not a true "fly" hook, it's a great profile for tying many salt patterns (also somewhat ironically called a "fly liner" live bait hook).

In spite of the hefty price, they appear to be worth it. Hypodermic sharp, and I suspect strong enough to snap any fly line on the market before bending or breaking. Think I found my new hook for tuna flies.

That's the exact book I tied all my tuna flies on last summer.

Amazingly strong hook.

SilverFly

That's the exact book I tied all my tuna flies on last summer.

Amazingly strong hook.
Keepin' secrets I see. ;). Actually I've heard about these for some time now and finally got around to ordering some. I'm seriously impressed with the quality. Another thing I like about the AKI's is the heaviness. Don't even think I'll need to add weight to dredging flies with these hooks.

I still like the Gami SL12's though, and will likely continue to use them for lighter flies. The SL12's are a great hook and are super popular with the Aussies, which is where I learned about them. They also use the AKI's but the SL12 is far and away the #1 fly hook in "Oz". And for everything from bones to billfish. I trust that they might know a thing or two about saltwater. ;)

Good tarpon and giant trevally hooks too. Aki's are well worth the price, but you want to make sure to be on top of your game when tying with them.

View attachment 194850

Albula

swollen member
Good tarpon and giant trevally hooks too. Aki's are well worth the price, but you want to make sure to be on top of your game when tying with them.
Indeed. That is the one of the hooks I choose for my tarpon flies. And I have folks throwing 2/0 and even 1/0 at fish that can be over 100 lbs. When trying to catch a big fish that is hard to find, hard to feed and harder to bring to hand there are too many opportunities for an uncontrollable failure to allow the hook to be the weak link.
P4090137.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 194850

Use the same hook in a 2/0 for Cudas and Tarpon flies....l like the gap and length on these.....

badseed91

New to Oregon
I looked up the inflation rate.

I estimated that in 1978 a 100pk would cost you $1.38. After adjusting for inflation, the same 100pk today would cost $5ish.
It is tough to find a 100pk for that price today, as you mentioned, buton't forget that the quality of hooks today is likely 4 fold what they were back in the day.

Attachments