Boots again

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
yeah I have looked...sale priced items ...Wooosh! out of stock...Simms too expensive for me...never liked those new fangled ratchet lace tighteners...another thing to screw up and get wanky...So I think I will buy a pair of Redington Skagit river sticky rubber boots...$119...I do not wade anywhere near as much as i used to...The Simms were always my favorite...but WTH! $179-$229?

When I finally had to replace my Orvis studded boots, I went in a fly shop to try on boots. They had Redington and Korkers. I wasn't interested in paying almost $200 for a pair of boots so I grabbed a pair of Redingtons. I didn't really like how sloppy they felt in the heal - too much movement. So just for yucks I tried on the Korkers and the fit was amazing. They fit so well I shelled out coin. A season and a half in and I really like these boots and have had no problems with the mechanics. The interchangeable soles are a very nice feature, also.

Timbow

Nothing ruins a trip faster than boots that are uncomfortable, have poor traction or fall apart. The cost difference between cheap and good isn't really that much when you consider the amount of money we spend on rods, waders, and other gear. I'd rather skimp in other areas rather than buy cheap boots.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
If a pair of wading boots cost you 2 days pay, would you buy Simms or something a bit more reasonable? I would love another pair of Simms...however...I noted the Redington Skagit River sticky rubber boots got a lot of good reviews...hence why i am strongly considering them...I wear a pair of crappy Caddis when in my tube lake fishing...

Last edited:

SpeySpaz

still an authority on nothing
Every year, some poor guy drowns on the Cowlitz while fishing.
I look for wading boots with the fit, support and traction I need to stay vertical.
But then, I like swimming less than I used to- even less when there's horizontal sleet.

up2nogood

I will certainly stick with Korkers . IMO they fit better then any other brand I have had . The interchangeable soles have not been an issue , nor the boa system

Timbow

If a pair of wading boots cost you 2 days pay, would you buy Simms or something a bit more reasonable? I would love another pair of Simms...however...I noted the Redington Skagit River sticky rubber boots got a lot of good reviews...hence why i am strongly considering them...I wear a pair of crappy Caddis when in my tube lake fishing...
I understand your point. I usually try to find top end boots on clearance when makers change designs. One thing to consider is that if you are going rubber soled, then you are most definitely going to want to add spikes or bars to them, which of course adds to the cost. The Patagonia foot tractors, which come with traction bars, are currently on sale for $180. With the Redington boots you are going to shell out another $50 or so for good aluminum discs or bars.

Timbow

I still have a problem with the concept of those interchangable soles...I know they are better now...
I too am very skeptical of these soles, I do have a pair(K5 Bombers) of them that I got on clearance for about a $100. I really only use them for in drift boats but haven't had any issues with them thus far.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
I noticed the trend in pricing for boots, waders, rods, lines, etc. years ago and started stocking up with clearance sales and the classifieds. I think I now have a lifetime supply of that stuff. Well most of it...I could probably use another rain jacket.

I have always equated it to the time I spend doing something ie... if you only ski a couple times a year..... rent... I spend more time fishing now than I do working so in that its my passion I am willing to spend a little more to be comfortable and confident that my gear will hold together and if it does not the company building it will stand behind their product... the better companies have always stood behind their gear so I stick with them although I have rarely have had an issue and when I did they replaced it at no charge..... you get what you pay for....

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I have always equated it to the time I spend doing something ie... if you only ski a couple times a year..... rent... I spend more time fishing now than I do working so in that its my passion I am willing to spend a little more to be comfortable and confident that my gear will hold together and if it does not the company building it will stand behind their product... the better companies have always stood behind their gear so I stick with them although I have rarely have had an issue and when I did they replaced it at no charge..... you get what you pay for....
I don't fish that much as i have said pages above...If I am going to spend $200+ Simms all day long...if <$150 maybe redingtons Skagit River...Plus I am not unknowing...beeen fly fishing a long time...I do not wade deep anymore...don't want to make a final fishing trip, would rather be warm with a remote in my hand when I go into the deep water...

Shop ebay or or Amazon for used or closeouts. Great boots are worth whatever they cost.

If one complains about their boots egvery step, it does not matter how inexpensive they were.

Latest posts