Boots again

Skip Enge

Shop ebay or or Amazon for used or closeouts. Great boots are worth whatever they cost.

If one complains about their boots egvery step, it does not matter how inexpensive they were.
I am beginning to wish I had not posted up this thread...but thanks all...was looking for more tigtwads and less financially ample folks to pipe up about the redingtons is all...I read that the sticky rubber soles get good reviews...and I would add a set of screws for another $30

As has been mentioned keep an eye out in the classified or local craigs list there's always folks who buy the gear use it once and then sell it at a pittance of new.... I tend to give away my old ones as they wear out to youngsters just getting into the sport with much better balance than us old &%@*#

Skip Enge

I have what you would call the average foot size...11's would accommodate the neoprene and heavier socks on the foot...and my growing feet...;) meaning so far I have seen a lot of online sold out stuff in my size...but I will keep looking...I won't be fishing in the next month anyway...too damn cold.

MD

I am beginning to wish I had not posted up this thread...but thanks all...was looking for more tigtwads and less financially ample folks to pipe up about the redingtons is all...I read that the sticky rubber soles get good reviews...and I would add a set of screws for another $30
I currently have a pair of Skagits. I’ve had them for two seasons. And just ordered a pair of Prowlers.

The Skagits were comfortable and durable with the exception of the lacing system. The D loops at the ankles broke off within the first month or so. I McGuyvered replacements so not that big of a deal.

Then the hooks above the ankles started popping the rivets. Again not that big of a deal cuz I McGuyvered them too.

In addition to this, the metal loops at the toe have an edge so it’s not uncommon to go through laces.

So just be prepared for the above cuz their lacing system sucks. The boots, themselves, were good. The most comfortable boot I’ve had so far. ( but prior to them I never spent more than about $80 on a pair)

I probably have 80 or so trips in them and the material I that flexes behind the ball of my foot is just starting to become thread bare. The felt is still holding up well.

I’m hoping the Prowlers are just as comfortable and durable....plus the lacing system looks to be better.

Good luck

Mike d

I'm on my second pair of Korkers Redside. Got 4 years out of the first pair and replaced the original felts with studded felts which did wear longer and gave good grip. The hard soles they come with I found a bit greasy but good for trails and then swapped them out for felts when fishing. Never had a problem as far as their workmanship and fit was good for my feet. Will probably upgrade to the Darkhorse or Wraptr when these go. Also one of the few boots out there that come in a size 15.

LyNcH

Steelhead Junkie
Redington Skagit should be bought true to size. I wear 12 and bought 13 in felt and rubber.....too big. If you want rubber soles and wear size 13, they are still New in box and I will give you a great price. I now own a pair of 12s and think they are great boots for the money. I did replace the laces with paracord.

If a pair of wading boots cost you 2 days pay, would you buy Simms or something a bit more reasonable? I would love another pair of Simms...however...I noted the Redington Skagit River sticky rubber boots got a lot of good reviews...hence why i am strongly considering them...I wear a pair of crappy Caddis when in my tube lake fishing...
Skip, I can't help you with your quest...too many variables...only you can determine if they are 'comfortable'. But for lakes, ditch the boots and get some good dive boots for over your waders...3-5 mm. Your legs will thank you, and you feet will be a lot warmer with less socks. Then when I'ts warm but the lakes still cold, NRS 3mm knee high waterproof socks and your tubing in cutoffs! Believe me now and thank me later.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I have a pair of older workers. The ones where the sole comes off of. I fixed the problem Idrilled a small hole where the sole goes in the slot and inserteda small sheetmetal screw. The sole never came off again

Jeremy Floyd

fly fishing my way through life
Take a look at guideline’s ultralight Laxa boots.

I had an issue with my brand new Simms boots, and a plastic piece being molded incorrectly, and since I was in the middle of a couple months of uninterrupted fishing, I ended up buying a pair of guidelines.

Now, I didn’t want guidelines. I didn’t like the look of them. The price point was right, and I was in pain from the other pair.

They were $115 less than rebuying the same Simms boot again. Lightest wading boots I have ever worn, and super comfy.

If you can get a deal on them, I recommend you pull the trigger.

FWIW Simms and Anil stood behind the boots I purchased and replaced them. Great customize service.

Try Kold Kutter ice racing screws. 24$ for 250 screws. I put these into my felt soles. You could climb a telephone pole with the grip.

http://koldkutter.com/kold-kutter-ama-legal-8

Unbelievable grip, unbelievable price.

Skip Enge

I currently have a pair of Skagits. I’ve had them for two seasons. And just ordered a pair of Prowlers.

The Skagits were comfortable and durable with the exception of the lacing system. The D loops at the ankles broke off within the first month or so. I McGuyvered replacements so not that big of a deal.

Then the hooks above the ankles started popping the rivets. Again not that big of a deal cuz I McGuyvered them too.

In addition to this, the metal loops at the toe have an edge so it’s not uncommon to go through laces.

So just be prepared for the above cuz their lacing system sucks. The boots, themselves, were good. The most comfortable boot I’ve had so far. ( but prior to them I never spent more than about $80 on a pair)

I probably have 80 or so trips in them and the material I that flexes behind the ball of my foot is just starting to become thread bare. The felt is still holding up well.

I’m hoping the Prowlers are just as comfortable and durable....plus the lacing system looks to be better.

Good luck

Mike d
I tried on some Skagits last night...they seemed okay...did not buy them...the D hooks pulling off that you experienced gives me pause.

Korkers Greenbacks, love them ! Had a couple pairs of Korkers with the dial but had to keep replacing the cables but loved the fit. Tried the Greenbacks, same great fit but with laces and have had no problems for over a year and I fish a lot, worth the bucks imo and not as spendy as the dial ones.

While I have had no problems with with D-hooks and such, on a pair of Skagits after a couple of years of moderate usage the felt sole began to come adrift. The first time, I re-glued it after getting home, on the second occasion I decided it was time for replacement.

Latest posts