Article Insects could vanish within a century?

jamma

I actually believe war is a form of natural selection that eliminates bad gene's and prevented human populations from excessive inbreeding, so by the same regard we've started to evolve past this by allowing women to choose the most desirable mate, and being able to travel and intermingle beyond our tribal boundaries. Everything else is just fashion.
So...what are you saying...that the Holocaust was a good thing...that Hiroshima and Nagasaki made the world a better place? Although it is ironic that Japan's worst nuclear nightmare came from a tsunami rather than the self-destructive hand of man.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
So...what are you saying...that the Holocaust was a good thing...that Hiroshima and Nagasaki made the world a better place? Although it is ironic that Japan's worst nuclear nightmare came from a tsunami rather than the self-destructive hand of man.
Ooh! a stinger! Ha!

Wyobee

No, war is the most horrific thing we do, all the worst shit imaginable rolled together and called heroic. I'm saying it is driven by natural selection, we became more and more warlike because traits that were xenophobic and aggressive were rewarded, tribes that stayed isolated and even peaceful were over ran and raped, but it kept the gene pool moving. Our two closest relatives are chimps and bonobos, the bonobos embrace the chimps conquer. We aren't driven by money, or any sort of greed it is actually much deeper and primal. Its sex, look at the shape of your favorite killing device it's a dick and a organism.

Rob Allen

Yes absolutely Hiroshima and Nagasaki made the world a better place. Well it made America a better place by saving countless American lives. By countless we are talking at least hundreds of thousands. In a war your dam right American lives are more important than thoes of our enemies. The atomic atracks against Japan were justified and good, not only that but they are Japan's fault.
If a cop has to perform a pit maneuver on you to end a pursuit everything that happens as a result of the pit is your fault including any injuries ie fatalities.
Same thing goes for Japan, everything we did to them to win the war was their fault.
Because in a reasoned and objective view of WW2 Japan was evil and we were good.
If you disagree study Nanking! What we did to them was a slap on the wrist.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I actually believe war is a form of natural selection that eliminates bad gene's and prevented human populations from excessive inbreeding, so by the same regard we've started to evolve past this by allowing women to choose the most desirable mate, and being able to travel and intermingle beyond our tribal boundaries. Everything else is just fashion.
I can't get over the fact I'm more desirable. Dang!

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Fucking yellow jackets are doing just fine....
I wouldn't mind yellowjackets, hornets, and their ilk going extinct, but they're probably some kind of keystone species that their demise would trigger an explosion in plant eating insect populations causing a sudden and complete collapse of agriculture. Especially bad news for vegans.
Same with mosquitoes, biting flies, gnats... bat population would collapse with the same result... :confused:

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
The problem is Joni never took any advanced classes in ecology. I had to laugh since the song was real popular about the time I was taking all those ecology, range, and silvicultural classes in California.

Joni, was all concerned about losing 1970's California's ecological state. Unfortunately, California's ecosystems were starting to get trashed by the Spanish when they moved up from Mexico just before the American revolution.

The 1880's in the American west with the widespread cattle grazing totally changed desert and grassland ecosystems.

When I started taking those classes I was shocked to learn that all those "natural" ecosystems I grew up with, were totally trashed and had little to do with what California looked like a few decades earlier.

But for Joni......it was all good. She didn't know any better. She had NO CLUE what had been lost before her time.

AND that folks is the rub. Each generation redefines it current conditions as normal. Be it climate, ecosystems, political systems, economic systems, etc. etc.

Saving what we "got" is a losing strategy. It's kinda like walking down a set of stairs, doesn't scare anybody. But if we FELL down those stairs that would get our attention.

In both cases you end up at the bottom.

We are making some small steps at ecological restoration, but they are insignificant relative to the destruction that is being driven by population growth.

In the long run, it is population growth that is trashing our wildlands. Working on everything else without tackling population growth....is taking the stairs down.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
It is not specifics Poindexter It's the who gives a damn attitude that prevails...emphasis is pushed then wains...so we have on the train and off...that has been going on for 40 years...tht is my point...as an organic gardener etc I have been precycling a long time...decades...still push out carbon with my truck but can't afford an aloternative...,and so it goes

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Life on earth will eventually end. No escaping it. Fly rods will evolve to whip and beat away cannibals since no animals will be left.
I still have a metal fly rod from Gramps...that'll be my go to...with a 10 wt roll casting action...I should start buying and stocking up BenGay ointment now...for the right shoulder pain...

freestonebound

I still have a metal fly rod from Gramps...that'll be my go to...with a 10 wt roll casting action...I should start buying and stocking up BenGay ointment now...for the right shoulder pain...
Metal would be the best bet... I prefer Biofreeze for shoulder, pain, though.

Latest posts