Daphnia Attempt

#1
We've all seen trout sipping daphnia, while not touching anything else in the flybox. I'd come to believe, because daphnia are so small, that daphnia flies were impossible to tie....until a friend showed me the "Daphnia Log" fly, from a site in the UK.
I decided to attempt my own version. On a visit to that other fly tying material store: "the Dollar Store", I discovered some nylon mesh bags, which are often used to contain various toys/materials, etc. ( I bought a foam sword to get my bag... which I'll wisely discard before my granddaughter has a chance to use it to beat the tar out of me. )
I cut the bag into single strand strips, with just enough tag on either side to reinforce each uv fly coating blob. on some, I used a sharpie to experiment with colors on the strands, before coating with the uv. On others, I applied and cured the blob, then added a dab of color before a thin 2nd coat of uv to seal it in. Since daphnia color often varies from lake to lake, I think it would be advisable to use a throat pump on a caught fish to steal its' lunch, to possibly determine what color to go with. I can see going full geek and tying up some with no color, then dabbing with an appropriate color sharpie, and sealing w/uv coating right on the boat. I tied some with black thread, and some with clear nylon thread (which I think I prefer).
I haven't had a chance to see what the fish think, although I think they look good (which isn't quite as important)....Anyway, time will tell.
 

Attachments

#7
I tied a Daphnia Pattern years ago for Cady, a sparse red hackle with red nail polish clomps all over it, looked pretty good, hung it under a indie a few times but never caught anything, gave up on it but was fun.
Maybe you'll have better luck then I did, always worth a try.
 

Latest posts