Misquitos

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
when I was a kid growing up in Camas in the early 60's there was an awful misquito problem. I lived above a LL baseball Park...I side now another field was a swamp...near my home above was another, down the road another...There were all kinds of cool swamps for me my brother and friends to explore. Trucks used to drive around neighborhoods spraying into the air malathion...the problem became north country legend worthy... A program was started where kids were paid to collect smooshed misquitos in jars and turn them in... I collected a pint jar 3/4 full and got paid for it... Just went out to play all summer long with a jar to collect them... The municipality folks would put a notice in the paper for retrieval and one of the sites for check in was the LL ball Park below my house...Anyone else recall things such as this?

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Supporter
Strange, I never had mosquitoes up by the Costco off of 205, nor in Portland. Must be swampy in Camas.

They are ferocious in Chicagoland where I live now, and even worse in The Driftless Area in the summer.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Strange, I never had mosquitoes up by the Costco off of 205, nor in Portland. Must be swampy in Camas.

They are ferocious in Chicagoland where I live now, and even worse in The Driftless Area in the summer.
it in like 1962-4...bees are dying here too now

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Hey jamma...do you remember the misquito wars back then? You were I believe living at Squish-squish then by the lake?

jamma

Hey jamma...do you remember the misquito wars back then? You were I believe living at Squish-squish then by the lake?
No, when they had that problem we lived in town. As I remember it they payed something like 5 cents a bug and you took them down to the Post Record office for credit on office supplies that they sold.I don't recall any mosquito problem when we lived in squish squish but then the house was about 1/4 to 1/2 a mile from the lake.Sure remember the mosquito problem on our trek to Blue Lake in Indian Heaven, but that's another story.:mad:

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I recall a rather short 7 mile hike only to haul arse back out because of the misquitos...and deer flies

Taxon

WFF Moderator
Hi Skip-

Please satisfy my curiosity. Are you intentionally misspelling mosquitos as misquitos, and if so, why?

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Hi Skip-

Please satisfy my curiosity. Are you intentionally misspelling mosquitos as misquitos, and if so, why?
Hell at least I didn't spell it mesquitos...this is bug guy spellcheck...sorry ...I just don't miss them.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info