Columbia Basin Ice Report

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
Back in the 1880's there was a blizzard in eastern Washington that basically finished off the cattle industry in eastern Washington and "allowed" farmers to homestead much of the land.

I believe the blizzard was in late April or May.

I suspect in 1880 it also had a dramatic effect on the fishing. So things aren't quite that bad today.

On a related note. I wore shorts and t-shirt all day today in southern Arizona. A first for this winter.

jwg

Walla Walla is having the coldest February on record. Even in the most southern part of the state has frozen lakes. According to the Weather Service this Artic Low is going around another week. Having lived in Eastern Washington the last 23 years, I have never seen it this cold this time of the year. If you do go ice fishing, make sure you have thick enough ice. I have used San Juan worms for ice fishing. They worked great on the lakes around Spokane.
Yesterday in the tricities
High 31F
Normal high 51

I drove around with Liam today and it's not looking good.
We have so much snow on the ground in parts of rural Klickitat County that I can't even drive my AWD Truck down my gravel road to get to a snowplowed county road. It is still snowing and supposed to dump up to a foot more on us in the next 5 days.

Earthquake

Ron Enyeart
FYI
WDFW seeks advisory committee candidates for the Columbia Basin Wildlife Area
OLYMPIA The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is seeking candidates by March 8 to serve on a new committee that advises the department on the management of the Columbia Basin Wildlife Area.

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
FYI
WDFW seeks advisory committee candidates for the Columbia Basin Wildlife Area
OLYMPIA The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is seeking candidates by March 8 to serve on a new committee that advises the department on the management of the Columbia Basin Wildlife Area.

First recommendation or piece of advice, fix this cold weather so we can fish the lakes starting on March 1st. :)

NukeLDO

WFF Supporter
Anyone been out and checked on the Quincy Lakes, Nunally, or the Seeps recently? gotta do something somewhere on Wed!

Buzzy

It was 11°F yesterday morning, pretty sure that's still making ice and the high was 23°F today. Not to be Dr. Doom but the forecast is for up to 3 inches of snow tonight. BUT: supposed to start warming. Fingers crossed and I'm going looking for slim openings tomorrow ......

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Geeze! You drysiders are really hardcore, and chompin' on the bit :D Hell, I'm ambarrassed to be me...been holding off until the conditions are at least in the 50's and a bit more user-friendly. My only defense is that I'm a wetsider, having spent my best years in semitropical climes, now gittin' old, and can't take the cold like I used to do.... but that kinda falls away when we note that OMJ is surviving just fine in the frozen wastelands of Montana, and is as full of piss and vinegar as he always was.

b_illymac

Soap Lake Posse
WFF Moderator
Anyone been out and checked on the Quincy Lakes, Nunally, or the Seeps recently? gotta do something somewhere on Wed!
My guess is still a week out from possibilities of open water. And that is if you know where those possibilities are which melt first:)

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts