Columbia Basin Ice Report

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
I remember a winter like this years ago.....I remember calling the fish bio out of Ephrata and said "I need to fish on a lake out of my float tube".

He gave me the name of a lake. I walked in.....and sure enough found it open that I could put my float tube in......I won't say water. Because of the spring duck and goose migration EVERY duck and goose in Grant county decided to call the lake home for a couple of weeks.

I did learn that duck and goose poop does float. AND enough of it was floating around that I didn't even get into the water. It was hard to find "open water" that you could cast into. Just amazing.

I am sure this lake is open....are the ducks and geese back in Grant county yet??

troutpocket

Most years the Basin has peaked for trout fishing before the traditional late April opener. This year is different. Those opening day lakes could be interesting....

NukeLDO

WFF Supporter
Yeah, none of those three, and the ice/snow tonight and this morning didn't help any. Looks like it'll be a moving water Wed.

jwg

Snowing now on top of ice and freezing rain that came down a few hours ago .
Tricities, WA

Chic Worthing

WFF Supporter
In many years past, I was an excellent ice fisherman. On my best day I came home with over 300 pounds of ice. Then my wife cooked all of it and I almost drowned.

On a more serious note, I am going to be tugging a 40 foot fifth wheel home to Wenatchee from Arizona in about 3 weeks and I don't wan't it to be pushing me anywhere. It is not not good for my nerves.

Buzzy

In many years past, I was an excellent ice fisherman. On my best day I came home with over 300 pounds of ice. Then my wife cooked all of it and I almost drowned.

On a more serious note, I am going to be tugging a 40 foot fifth wheel home to Wenatchee from Arizona in about 3 weeks and I don't wan't it to be pushing me anywhere. It is not not good for my nerves.
Gravity assist with that big 5th wheel on snow or ice, no thank you sir! On a positive note, I was outside shoveling the driveway and heard: sandhill cranes! They have to be a sign of spring.

Buzzy

DSCF1280.JPG
Sandhill cranes and pelicans must know something? With a couple inches of snow getting compacted on top of crusty snow and starting to melt, the warm water ditch footing is damn slippery. Rubber soled hip boots suck in this type of situation - only had my feet go out from underneath me twice.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I like the photo, @Buzzy , but not the fact that you slipped. I got my walks & driveway cleared-off, as well as the rigs. Things are melting nicely now, but there was no shortage of slick spots while I was shoveling.

JS

View attachment 196048
Sandhill cranes and pelicans must know something? With a couple inches of snow getting compacted on top of crusty snow and starting to melt, the warm water ditch footing is damn slippery. Rubber soled hip boots suck in this type of situation - only had my feet go out from underneath me twice.

Fake news (not the slip, take it easy with the slipping, Buzzy). All the water in Eastern WA is froze solid. Dont bother even dreaming about coming over here! I walked from Kennewick to Pasco yesterday on the great Tri-City ice mass....a migration of Musk Ox followed my cut path. Glad to give them a hand, so they might survive the rest of this winter. Stay inside!!!!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts