Fly tying tools

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I’ll admit I haven’t looked at fly tying tools in a long, long time and there are tons of options out there.
My tools, while still working ok could use a couple of upgrades, mainly my bobbins and scissors.

I don’t need top shelf tools, just good middle of the road products that are built well workhorses and last.
What do you recommend for ceramic bobbins, general use scissors and needle point scissors for fine work?

Thanks for your suggestions.
SF

I know there will be a lot of personal opinions coming on this subject. I tie about 500 dozen flies a year and have tended to tools that last. Griffin bobbins are good and reasonably priced. I use Anvil #70A scissors, they last me a minimum of a year before showing signs of wearing out. For a fine point scissor I file the point of the Anvil scissors in all directions to thin the point down.

tyler

i'm a big fan of the Tiemco (Umpqua) tools. the ceramic bobbins are great. the "standard" and "heavy" are nice for saltwater flies when tying with fatter thread like Danville Flat Wax Nylon. also like their Deer Dresser scissors. i recently picked up a couple pair of Dr. Slick tungsten carbide scissors (4" All Purpose) from the bargain bin at Outdoor Emporium. Been really happy with them.

I’ll admit I haven’t looked at fly tying tools in a long, long time and there are tons of options out there.
My tools, while still working ok could use a couple of upgrades, mainly my bobbins and scissors.

I don’t need top shelf tools, just good middle of the road products that are built well workhorses and last.
What do you recommend for ceramic bobbins, general use scissors and needle point scissors for fine work?

Thanks for your suggestions.
SF
Curious. Why do you want or think you need ceramic bobbins?

Griffin has a pair of all purpose scissors that are nice to use. Large finger holes and a long set of blades which is nice for my tying style. Also like their ceramic bobbins and the Stonfo ceramic bobbins.

I really believe that a good pair of scissors is the most important tool that I tie with. I can tie flies without a vise, bobbin, hackle pliers or whip finish but I need a good pair of scissors to help me select, prepare and trim the materials that I tie to a hook. Find a pair that you like. Don't be afraid of spending a bit more for quality.

Kfish

I really like the ceramic Rite Bobbins, they have adjustable drag and you can set it just so. It’s my favorite one to use.

Loon ergo bobbin: most comfortable to hold especially for larger flies but the stem tube is long. I can barely thread it, you’ll need the longer threader tool to make it work.

Dr.Slick scissors with rubber coated handles: good quality and still works well over the couple years of abuse (cutting wires and heavy mono/braids). The tip is not as sharp as it used to be but it’s still going strong. I have another higher quality Dr.Slick all metal (not rubber coated) but rarely use it b/c it’s harder to pick up from the table.

Bought a EP finger brush on a whim and I now prefer it over the Stonfo brush, cheaper too.

Lou

I have a couple pair of Dr. Slick Razor Scissors and I really like them. They have an adjustable tension nut and can be easily resharpened if and when needed, but they come very sharp , have fine points that allow you to cut close and precise, and stay that way for a long time.

I also have several pair of Dr. Slick tungsten scissors, but I far prefer the Razors over them. The thing about the tungsten is that they are steel with just a fine tungsten coating over it which means that you can’t sharpen them more than a small amount lest you file off all the tungsten. The tungsten is also more brittle and will readily break the tips off if you drop them on something like a concrete floor - don’t ask me how I know that (after breaking several pair in as many months I’ve got lots of experience!).

However, that being said, I’ve found that Dr. Slick stands behind their products and provides good customer service if you should ever need it.

John