Fly tying tools

candr

I have tried a few different bobbins over the years. My favorite is the jvice - I like the design with the angled bobbin tube. I like to put a lot of tension on my thread when I wrap and this is when I have really noticed that a high quality ceramic tube makes a lot of difference particularly with the fine threads that I use more often. I prefer the bullet head bobbins for finger grip but they usually have very cheap tubes. I found someone online that sells very high quality ceramic tubes made in Japan. I cut off and then drilled out the cheap bobbin tube and epoxied the high quality tube in place with the tube at the length I prefer. Works really well and I can lay down tight wraps without breaking thread.

For scissors, they are spendy but Renomed makes very nice scissors that last a long time.

IMG_0540 - Copy.jpg IMG_0542 - Copy.jpg IMG_0543 - Copy.jpg

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I buy my scissors at fabric and sewing centers...I tag along with Ellen when she shops for quilt fabric and such...I usually come home with beads or another tiny pair of scissors.
Anything with a fly tying brand name will cost a lot more when it comes to scissors...i think the ladies that sew know...Sure i bought ellen some Ginghers...she bought Kai's...i probably have a dozen pair now of various types...tiny ice sharpened ones of some fly tying pedigree are a fave...I will probably buy more need em or not...i can only be in a fabric center so long...then i start to help her with patterns and color so we can get out of there...It is a testament to my patient devotion...beading boxes make nice fly hook storage units and a fraction of the cost of the fly shop offerings...

I'm a big fan of both the Rite Bobbins and the Stonfo Bobbins though I think I slightly prefer the Rite because the thread tensioner knob is easy to bump on the Stonfo while tying. Not a big deal but worth noting.

In the last couple of months I've added an Ekich Bobbin, a Smhaen bobbin, and a TMC magnetic bobbin. Expensive, but the Ekich is just amazing. Nicest bobbin I've ever used. The Smhaen is also fantastic, but again quite spendy. Haven't used the TMC much yet.

I have more scissors than I can count. My favorite to tie with daily are these from Wiss.

https://www.amazon.com/1570B-Quick-...id=1550783116&s=gateway&sprefix=Wiss+&sr=8-15

Super cheap, last a long time, and very comfortable. I tie with scissors in my hand and these are so comfy it's crazy. Not great for fine work but for cutting most materials, threads etc and standard use they are incredible.

Most of the other fly tying scissors on the market are pretty much identical with a different label on them so just pick a pair you like. I have scissors from Dr. Slick, Anvil, Loon, Rising, Coen, Tiemco and many others and they are all just fine.

My favorites are these from Tiemco. Expensive as hell but the nicest I've ever used.
https://www.amazon.com/Umpqua-Tiemc...sors&qid=1550783373&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

In general the Loon ergo tools are all very nice to use and not too expensive.

Ultimately I think it's hard to go wrong with most of the brands available these days.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I have tried a few different bobbins over the years. My favorite is the jvice - I like the design with the angled bobbin tube. I like to put a lot of tension on my thread when I wrap and this is when I have really noticed that a high quality ceramic tube makes a lot of difference particularly with the fine threads that I use more often. I prefer the bullet head bobbins for finger grip but they usually have very cheap tubes. I found someone online that sells very high quality ceramic tubes made in Japan. I cut off and then drilled out the cheap bobbin tube and epoxied the high quality tube in place with the tube at the length I prefer. Works really well and I can lay down tight wraps without breaking thread.

For scissors, they are spendy but Renomed makes very nice scissors that last a long time.

View attachment 193916 View attachment 193917 View attachment 193918
that jvice is an impressive looking apparatus

dogsnfish

Nick, which of the Ekich bobbins do you have? I have used the older metal style trout and steelhead for years and love them. I want to get another and was looking at the new version.

FinLuver

I'm a big fan of both the Rite Bobbins and the Stonfo Bobbins though I think I slightly prefer the Rite because the thread tensioner knob is easy to bump on the Stonfo while tying. Not a big deal but worth noting.

In the last couple of months I've added an Ekich Bobbin, a Smhaen bobbin, and a TMC magnetic bobbin. Expensive, but the Ekich is just amazing. Nicest bobbin I've ever used. The Smhaen is also fantastic, but again quite spendy. Haven't used the TMC much yet.

I have more scissors than I can count. My favorite to tie with daily are these from Wiss.

https://www.amazon.com/1570B-Quick-...id=1550783116&s=gateway&sprefix=Wiss+&sr=8-15

Super cheap, last a long time, and very comfortable. I tie with scissors in my hand and these are so comfy it's crazy. Not great for fine work but for cutting most materials, threads etc and standard use they are incredible.

Most of the other fly tying scissors on the market are pretty much identical with a different label on them so just pick a pair you like. I have scissors from Dr. Slick, Anvil, Loon, Rising, Coen, Tiemco and many others and they are all just fine.

My favorites are these from Tiemco. Expensive as hell but the nicest I've ever used.
https://www.amazon.com/Umpqua-Tiemc...sors&qid=1550783373&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

Ultimately I think it's hard to go wrong with most of the brands available these days.
Best damn bobbin out there...
L_thumb_bobbin.jpg
Thread tension is achieved with the palm.
It's all about the "feel"...when tyin'. :)

Best damn bobbin out there...
View attachment 193948
Thread tension is achieved with the palm.
It's all about the "feel"...when tyin'. :)
Meh the best is what feels best to you
I have lots of bobbins but I much prefer being able to set the thread tension where I want it
If the hand was capable of providing smooth constant tension all the time the blue water saltwater guys would use nothing but cheaper click and pawl reels when targeting GTs ;)

Nick, which of the Ekich bobbins do you have? I have used the older metal style trout and steelhead for years and love them. I want to get another and was looking at the new version.

I got the standard metal style with the ceramic insert. I debated back and forth about getting the newer plastic one but it only came in a stainless steel tube and I kinda wanted ceramic. Man the more I tie on it and become used to it the more I am loving this thing

Trapper

ISO brown liquor and wild salmonoids
IMG_0842.jpg

Vises.gif

When I tied commercially, I'd twist up 1500 dozen from Halloween to Easter and then more for my guide trips.

When I did tying demos for FFF and TU clubs the subject of tying tools often came up. I would tell guys the same thing, "They make a LOT of tying tools. Some wear out, some are cheap, some are expensive. Buy tools that suit you, but if you want to be efficient, get tools that fit your hands well. Like scissors. Buy ones that fit your hand so well you're not tempted to lay them down while you do other things because that wastes time. If you are fighting your bobbins or tearing thread; replace them.

The brands and styles are varied because fly tiers, as a group, tend to be gear heads. We tend to look for a product that makes the process easier or faster or whatever. The answer isn't universal; find what works for you and don't be afraid to ask a fellow tier if you could try out one or two of what they like.

Be prepared to have a box of tools that didn't work for you. I have a bunch of scissors that just didn't work.

Trapper

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
All of those items look all too familiar... Bought a set of those "magic" dubbing brush clamps used once...whip finishing tools...meh! my fingers turned out not to be so fat and clumsy after all...

Krusty

Now have three Ekich bobbins...have had a great many other bobbins over the past 50 years but nothing compares to the Ekich for ease of use and quality. Pricey, but worth it. Pair an Ekich bobbin with a Norvise and threadpost is the shizznitz.

Last edited:

View attachment 193916 View attachment 193917 View attachment 193918
Has the J Vice bobbin been discontinued? Can't find it on their site.