Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Commercial gill netting on the Columbia

7K views 113 replies 32 participants last post by  bennysbuddy 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
Makes me think this crap won't end until the last salmon and steelhead are caught...this argument has been going on for 40-50 years...interesting it is decided by 4 peoples votes.

My Dad was a logger and helped his dad on his commercial gill net boat right at Cathlamet, WA...when i cam along Dad had a number of gill netting friends and from my point of view they were outlaws and pirates who constantly justified incidental catches...Few today make a living at it, nor have for a long time...Let's remember why the gill net fishery was shut down in the lower Columbia. How has it changed as a result? i don't see a fish numbers rebound in the upper Columbia tributaries. the places I fished have not been good for a decade...Trying to remember the last truly good coho numbers on the Kalama or the Washougal.

#8 ·
It is NOT science it IS politics and money! Look into Buckmaster (OR) and who he represents and how he got into the council. (You will sleep the stink).

If people understood what a gillnet is and how it can never be selective they might be outraged, but probably not because they can buy dinner.

Gills are fish lungs, once a fish is caught by the gills it is 85+% going to die. Not like catching a fish in the lip with barbless hook, keeping it in the net in water to identify wild/hatchery and unhooking and releasing fish with a sore lip.

#10 ·
I'll answer the OP's question. This passed, very simply, because Oregon's complement to the WA Fish and Wildlife Commission is made up of mostly shills for the gillnet industry. They backed out on the recent gillnet reform plan (agreed to by both states) before the trial period even finished, so this is no surprise at all to anyone who's been following the issue in recent years. Doesn't make it okay, but it does explain the situation.

I have a HUGE problem with the arrangement that lets OR and WA gillnetters fish both sides of the river while being licensed in only one state. Residents of OR should not be allowed to unilaterally make decisions that impact fish runs in both states (like this one does). That needs to be addressed, but gillnetters from both states benefit from that paradigm, so.... Until somebody outspends the commercial lobby, yes, we will continue down the path to extinction.

#13 ·
I'll answer the OP's question. This passed, very simply, because Oregon's complement to the WA Fish and Wildlife Commission is made up of mostly shills for the gillnet industry. They backed out on the recent gillnet reform plan (agreed to by both states) before the trial period even finished, so this is no surprise at all to anyone who's been following the issue in recent years. Doesn't make it okay, but it does explain the situation.

I have a HUGE problem with the arrangement that lets OR and WA gillnetters fish both sides of the river while being licensed in only one state. Residents of OR should not be allowed to unilaterally make decisions that impact fish runs in both states (like this one does). That needs to be addressed, but gillnetters from both states benefit from that paradigm, so.... Until somebody outspends the commercial lobby, yes, we will continue down the path to extinction.
This needs a slight re-do. Seems a full 50% of the "yes" votes came from WA, so my apologies to the members of the WA Fish and Wildlife Comm. for selling their contribution to the demise of Pacific salmon short. Indeed, they were co-fuckers of the citizen majority in both states.

Furthermore, I should add I no longer have a reasonable answer to @ribka 's question. I, too, am now questioning how this passed. Whatever the reasons, it's just another example of governments overruling citizens, and a particularly disgusting one at that.

When are CCA action alert templates going to start addressing these assholes in the proper tone? Honestly, these letters should simply say something like,

"Your recent decision to support rescinding critically needed gillnet reforms on the Columbia River disappointed me greatly, and you will not get my vote next election because of it.

In short, fuck you.

Sincerely,
(Name here)
Concerned citizen (or "Peon," if you prefer).

Trouble is, Commission members are appointed, so we don't even get a vote!

#11 ·
So now the WA Commission has back tracked on its earlier commitment to permnantly remove gillnets from the Columbia River. And they want to continue the Columbia River endorsement fee ($8.75) that was needed to provide sportfishing monitoring on CR tributaries like the Methow where we haven't had a season for several years - why do they sell CR endorsements in years when there is no sport season to monitor? And they are seeking an increase in fishing license fees while providing ever decreasing sport fishing opportunities - so we can even further subsidize commercial salmon fishing! This thing's nuts!

#17 ·
you have a board of reps appointed not elected...the peer review goes unseen, knowing little about them...in essence a board of directors setting state and in this case localized regional laws. Just how is it a crime? I mean we have nothing to say about corporate boards of directors, like say elimination of challenged senior greeters at Walmart...or corporate interests... In essence this comes down to lawsuits as Cougar Zeek stated above...that is the way shit works today or doesn't...Pruning back on an already ill resource isn't going to provoke new growth to a dwindling one.

#20 ·
McIsaac and Kehoe have ties to the commercial fishing industry so no surprise they voted in favor of this; they're perfectly willing to accelerate the functional extinction of these fish and screw over recreational anglers to give a handful of pissed off commercial anglers a few more years' work. Graybill is involved in the recreational fishing industry so no surprise he voted against it. Hopefully there are enough people with brains and ethics on the full Fish and Wildlife Commission to shoot this down when it's considered by the full commission. If the Commission supports this and their Oregon counterpart does too, I will gladly re-up my WFC membership that I let lapse a few years ago to help fund a lawsuit against these jackwads.

#23 ·
There would be no better time than now for the flyfishing community to put a little energy into this battle.
Especially considering the reverence for Columbia Basin steelhead.
Folks on both sides of the Columbia need to hold their governors accountable for the deleterious actions of their DFW commissioners. Commissioners that each governor appointed.

#30 ·
I'd be happy to mail somebody my 2018 license with a note that it will be my last until the nets come out.
I'm loving that and it's exactly what I'm going to do. I'm going to make enough copies to make sure every commissioner, the director, and my legislators get a copy. The original will go to the Governor.

G
#28 ·
I believe the study will state there was a over harvest of sport caught fish, which has been the case since the commercial harvest has been reduced. The time has long since passed where all user groups need to see drastic season reductions

#34 ·
Here is a sample letter addressing the main issues:

An email I sent to the WA Commission, copying my state representatives:
WA commission = commission@dfw.wa.gov

Dear Commissioners,

It is my understanding that yesterday, by a vote of 4-2, a joint-state committee recommended the return of non-tribal gillnetting to the lower mainstem Columbia River during the spring and summer seasons and an increase in mainstem gillnetting during the fall season and that this recommendation was made despite historically low spring, summer, and fall chinook forecasts.

Because this recommendation directly contradicts promises made to Washington sportsman-for which they paid in the form of increased regulation and financial contributions-and because it violates common-sense fisheries management, I urge you to reject the recommendation, uphold the 2012 bi-state Columbia River gillnet reforms, and fulfill the promises this Commission made to each and every citizen of Washington State.

I trust you will do the right thing and would welcome the opportunity to speak with you more on this issue

#37 ·
Here are the two from Washington that voted for it:

Donald 'Don' McIsaac, Ph. D.

Dr. McIsaac was appointed to the Commission in August 2017. He served as the Executive Director for the Pacific Fishery Management Council 2000 - 2016. After beginning his professional career with the then-Washington State Department of Fisheries and advancing through several positions over the course of 15 years, he worked for 10 years for the Oregon State Department of Fish and Wildlife prior to his 17 years with the Pacific Council. He received his Doctor of Philosophy and Master of Science degrees from the University of Washington School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences and his Bachelor of Science degree from Humboldt State University.
Dr. McIsaac has broad experience in fishery conservation and management policy development and implementation. In his capacity as Pacific Council Executive Director, he worked extensively with representatives from Federal, State, and Tribal agencies in administering Pacific Council obligations under the Magnuson - Stevens Act and other applicable marine fishery law. He also has experience in various international fishery management organizations and Chaired the Klamath Fishery Management Council 1991 - 1999. In 2016, Dr. McIsaac was presented the US Coast Guard Meritorious Service Award from Rear Admiral Mark E. Butt. He currently consults on a part-time basis on fishery related matters.
Dr. McIsaac lives in the rural Hockinson area east of Vancouver, Washington with his wife Claudia. He enjoys all outdoor activities, including fishing and hunting; spending time with his extended family; and coaching baseball.
(CURRENT TERM: August 7, 2017 - Dec. 31, 2022)

Bob Kehoe

Robert "Bob" Kehoe was appointed to the Commission by Governor Inslee in July 2013. Bob is the Executive Director of the Purse Seine Vessel Owners Association ("PSVOA"), a commercial fishing trade organization based in Seattle. Prior to becoming PSVOA's Executive Director in 2009, Bob served as PSVOA's General Counsel beginning in 1997. He is a member of the Washington and Alaska Bar, and has practiced maritime law for more than 20 years.
Since 2001, Bob has been involved in the Pacific Salmon Commission process as the U.S. Industry Representative on the Fraser Panel. Bob also served as a Washington Advisor to the North Pacific Anadromous Fish Commission in 2004 - 2008.
Bob received his JD from the University of Denver School Law, and an MS in Public Health (Epidemiology and Biostatistics) from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. Before attending law school, Bob worked as a research scientist at the SUNY Stony Brook School of Medicine.
Bob lives in the Seattle Ballard neighborhood with his wife Deb and and has two daughters.
(CURRENT TERM: January 1, 2015 - Dec. 31, 2020)

#39 ·
I'm wondering if the best way to address this situation is to blow it wide open. Go to KOMO news and others, and have them do an expose' on the commission voting against salmon and science . Most of the greater Puget Sound area probably know nothing of this, but do know about the Orca plight. If the general public found out that they are hurting Orcas by voting this way, it could bring the public consensus around. Just a thought.

#42 ·
Some have asked what to do and how to contact the commission (link in text below)... here is CCA Washington sent out.... with talking points

Reckless Commissioners Recommend Return of Columbia Gill Nets

On Tuesday, a joint-state committee of Oregon and Washington fish and wildlife commissioners voted 4-2 to recommend a return to non-tribal gillnetting in the lower mainstem Columbia River during the spring and summer seasons and an increase in mainstem gillnetting during the fall season. This recommendation was made despite dismal spring, summer, and fall chinook forecasts which will result in reduced fishing seasons due to conservation concerns.

The recommendation to undo the 2012 bi-state Columbia River gill net reforms comes as Columbia River salmon and steelhead returns have plummeted in recent years - which has caused widespread reductions in our fisheries. The vote comes at the same time WDFW are asking the legislature for a fee increase, and the reauthorization of the Columbia River Basin Salmon and Steelhead Endorsement paid exclusively by recreational anglers.

This politically motivated recommendation will now go to each state's fish and wildlife commission, which would have to modify their policies/rules to reverse the Columbia River reforms, return gill nets to the mainstem, and further reduce recreational fishing opportunity. Oregon Commissioners/gill net apologists Bruce Buckmaster and Holly Akenson both have expiring terms this Summer, and they are pushing to restore gillnetting before leaving the Commission. In an effort to distract anglers from the extensive reductions in recreational angling that will occur, these same commissioners are proposing to make barbless hooks "voluntary."

The Washington Commission will discuss the Columbia River Policy on March 2nd at 9 A.M. in Spokane (Ramada Inn - 8909 W Airport Drive). We expect Washington Commissioner Don McIsaac (Hockinson) to advocate for reducing recreational angling opportunity and returning gill nets to the mainstem. We ask that those able to make the meeting in Spokane testify in favor of the original policy that was promised = no more gill nets in the mainstem Columbia River. Here are some talking points that to consider.

In the meantime, we would ask everyone to please send comments directly to the Commission at commission@dfw.wa.gov.

CCA will be sending out more details and action alerts shortly. The votes were as follows:
Favor returning gill nets to the Columbia River - McIsaac (WA), Kehoe (WA), Buckmaster (OR), Akenson (OR)
Opposed to returning gill nets to the Columbia River - Graybill (WA), Webber (OR)

-------------------------------------------------------

Talking Points CCA Washington....

Background
2017 and 2018, were the first years in our lifetimes with no mainstem commercial gill net fishery during the spring and summer seasons. Despite staff inaction in implementing many of the directives of the Columbia River Policy, the gill net reforms have been working. The recent recommendation by the Joint-State Committee to return gill nets to the lower mainstem Columbia is reckless and in clear contrast of WDFW's Department Goal #1: "Conserve and protect native fish and wildlife."
Spring Chinook
The Commission should continue to hold firm against mainstem spring "tangle" gill net fisheries.
• The gill net industry has benefited greatly from the increased hatchery production in the off-channel fishing areas. In fact, 2017's off-channel harvest of spring Chinook was the most valuable on record, despite it being an average run. 2018, was another large SAFE area harvest (10,981 fish!)
• The 12,000-plus spring Chinook landed in the off-channel gill net fisheries in 2017 exceeded the number of spring Chinook harvested in recreational fisheries above and below Bonneville Dam. There is no reason to allow spring "tangle" gill net fisheries to occur in the mainstem.
Summer Chinook
CCA strongly supports the Washington Commission's decision to prohibit commercial gill nets from the mainstem during the summer Chinook fishery.
• Summer Chinook have been prioritized for upriver fisheries in Eastern Washington, including the selective fishing practices of the Colville Nation.
• The recreational summer Chinook fishery is being managed as a selective fishery to help meet escapement goals for wild Chinook to the spawning grounds, which are not being met in some upriver tributaries.
• Commercial gill nets are incapable of select harvest of summer Chinook and unnecessarily catch and kill ESA-listed sockeye and steelhead as bycatch. Only 200 Snake River sockeye are forecast in 2019!
Fall Chinook
CCA remains concerned about the use of gill nets in this year's fall Chinook fisheries in zones 4 and 5. Gill net mortality rates on steelhead have been manipulated by staff to extend commercial fisheries.
• The gill net industry is claiming economic harm, but the 2017 fall Chinook gillnet fishery was cut short when it exceeded its allowable impact of ESA-listed B-run steelhead, a species caught as bycatch in this non-selective fishery. 2018's fall season closed early when run predictions fell dramatically short of actual return numbers.
• The Commission should carefully review the monitoring data from the 2017 fishery and mandate that any mortality rate changes be based on rigorous scientific studies, as was conducted with seines. Concerningly, the 2018 fall fishery was not extensively monitored.
• In 2017, information came to light about the impact that off-channel gill net fisheries are having on steelhead during the fall (potentially including B-run steelhead). CCA Oregon's discovery of dumped wild steelhead at a commercial boat launch outside of Astoria should lead to a re-analysis of the impact of these fisheries on steelhead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.