Commercial gill netting on the Columbia

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Fine, then don’t speak to civics...as you did in your original response.
You suggested that influence can only be peddled by investment... that leaves a silent majority out of the loop...basically a snake eating eats tail...Nice! you have a step ladder for that horse?

Last edited:
Some have asked what to do and how to contact the commission (link in text below)... here is CCA Washington sent out.... with talking points

Reckless Commissioners Recommend Return of Columbia Gill Nets

On Tuesday, a joint-state committee of Oregon and Washington fish and wildlife commissioners voted 4-2 to recommend a return to non-tribal gillnetting in the lower mainstem Columbia River during the spring and summer seasons and an increase in mainstem gillnetting during the fall season. This recommendation was made despite dismal spring, summer, and fall chinook forecasts which will result in reduced fishing seasons due to conservation concerns.

The recommendation to undo the 2012 bi-state Columbia River gill net reforms comes as Columbia River salmon and steelhead returns have plummeted in recent years - which has caused widespread reductions in our fisheries. The vote comes at the same time WDFW are asking the legislature for a fee increase, and the reauthorization of the Columbia River Basin Salmon and Steelhead Endorsement paid exclusively by recreational anglers.

This politically motivated recommendation will now go to each state's fish and wildlife commission, which would have to modify their policies/rules to reverse the Columbia River reforms, return gill nets to the mainstem, and further reduce recreational fishing opportunity. Oregon Commissioners/gill net apologists Bruce Buckmaster and Holly Akenson both have expiring terms this Summer, and they are pushing to restore gillnetting before leaving the Commission. In an effort to distract anglers from the extensive reductions in recreational angling that will occur, these same commissioners are proposing to make barbless hooks "voluntary."

The Washington Commission will discuss the Columbia River Policy on March 2nd at 9 A.M. in Spokane (Ramada Inn - 8909 W Airport Drive). We expect Washington Commissioner Don McIsaac (Hockinson) to advocate for reducing recreational angling opportunity and returning gill nets to the mainstem. We ask that those able to make the meeting in Spokane testify in favor of the original policy that was promised = no more gill nets in the mainstem Columbia River. Here are some talking points that to consider.

In the meantime, we would ask everyone to please send comments directly to the Commission at commission@dfw.wa.gov.

CCA will be sending out more details and action alerts shortly. The votes were as follows:
Favor returning gill nets to the Columbia River - McIsaac (WA), Kehoe (WA), Buckmaster (OR), Akenson (OR)
Opposed to returning gill nets to the Columbia River - Graybill (WA), Webber (OR)

-------------------------------------------------------

Talking Points CCA Washington....

Background
2017 and 2018, were the first years in our lifetimes with no mainstem commercial gill net fishery during the spring and summer seasons. Despite staff inaction in implementing many of the directives of the Columbia River Policy, the gill net reforms have been working. The recent recommendation by the Joint-State Committee to return gill nets to the lower mainstem Columbia is reckless and in clear contrast of WDFW’s Department Goal #1: “Conserve and protect native fish and wildlife.”
Spring Chinook
The Commission should continue to hold firm against mainstem spring “tangle” gill net fisheries.
• The gill net industry has benefited greatly from the increased hatchery production in the off-channel fishing areas. In fact, 2017’s off-channel harvest of spring Chinook was the most valuable on record, despite it being an average run. 2018, was another large SAFE area harvest (10,981 fish!)
• The 12,000-plus spring Chinook landed in the off-channel gill net fisheries in 2017 exceeded the number of spring Chinook harvested in recreational fisheries above and below Bonneville Dam. There is no reason to allow spring “tangle” gill net fisheries to occur in the mainstem.
Summer Chinook
CCA strongly supports the Washington Commission’s decision to prohibit commercial gill nets from the mainstem during the summer Chinook fishery.
• Summer Chinook have been prioritized for upriver fisheries in Eastern Washington, including the selective fishing practices of the Colville Nation.
• The recreational summer Chinook fishery is being managed as a selective fishery to help meet escapement goals for wild Chinook to the spawning grounds, which are not being met in some upriver tributaries.
• Commercial gill nets are incapable of select harvest of summer Chinook and unnecessarily catch and kill ESA-listed sockeye and steelhead as bycatch. Only 200 Snake River sockeye are forecast in 2019!
Fall Chinook
CCA remains concerned about the use of gill nets in this year’s fall Chinook fisheries in zones 4 and 5. Gill net mortality rates on steelhead have been manipulated by staff to extend commercial fisheries.
• The gill net industry is claiming economic harm, but the 2017 fall Chinook gillnet fishery was cut short when it exceeded its allowable impact of ESA-listed B-run steelhead, a species caught as bycatch in this non-selective fishery. 2018’s fall season closed early when run predictions fell dramatically short of actual return numbers.
• The Commission should carefully review the monitoring data from the 2017 fishery and mandate that any mortality rate changes be based on rigorous scientific studies, as was conducted with seines. Concerningly, the 2018 fall fishery was not extensively monitored.
• In 2017, information came to light about the impact that off-channel gill net fisheries are having on steelhead during the fall (potentially including B-run steelhead). CCA Oregon’s discovery of dumped wild steelhead at a commercial boat launch outside of Astoria should lead to a re-analysis of the impact of these fisheries on steelhead.
Do you hav similar contact info for those of us in Oregon to feed back to our commissioners?

mat1226

So, Junkie... Alison Morrow on King 5 does good stories on this.... here is her report from 2 days ago, the thing that I screamed at the TV about was this gillnetters statement, at about 1:09 into video.... "A hook is not any more selective than a gillnet, a hook is indiscriminate".

https://www.king5.com/video/news/lo...bate/281-127f7767-f1b0-4e5b-a4a4-010b9f5ff024

The public will never get this...! Share with everybody you know... gillets are NOT indiscriminate! And once a wild fish is dead from strangulation it can't be returned to the water, it is dead! (and bycatch if a wild steelhead, endangered sturgeon, etc. - bycatch definition : the unwanted fish and other marine creatures caught during commercial fishing for a different species)
They are not called "stranglers" for nothing.

I am at a point where I can't even comment on these threads any more. I'm tired of writing letters to politicians that are bought and paid for by private interests. I look forward to the day I can get out of Washington. It's broken and nobody is going to fix it.

aplTyler

Inept Steelheader
There will be a discussion, and quite possibly a vote on this at the Washington Fish & Wildlife Commission meeting in Spokane this Saturday at 9 A.M. It's being held at the Ramada Inn near the Spokane International Airport. If you can make it, be sure to sign in and testify on behalf of conservation and common-sense.

Department staff has stonewalled the implementation process of the original Columbia River gillnet reforms, and no effort/progress was made on buybacks, monitoring, etc, despite past Commission objectives. Status quo is their preferred operation model, so no surprise.

I think it's a great idea to tell them what you think about their proposed fee increase and the renewal of the CR Endorsement... especially in light of their actions.

Finally, remember the real issue is who is appointed to the Commission by the Governor and his Natural Resources advisors. The makeup of the Commission has changed dramatically in Washington over the past few years, and it's not for the better.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
Ban all fishing on the Columbia river, let the fish rebuild thier runs.all this is is an attempt to let the sports Fishers be the people to catch the last fish swimming in the river

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
You know Mark and my little exchange reminded me of something...We are on the same side in this. Once they took the gill netters out of the lower river it was a little victory... We all think it's major bullshit a handful of designated special interest folks are deciding for all to bring the nets back. So I am not sure what Marks tirade was really about. Don't like the way I share my thoughts, maybe? Okay that's a reciprocal.

FinLuver

You suggested that influence can only be peddled by investment... that leaves a silent majority out of the loop...basically a snake eating eats tail...Nice! you have a step ladder for that horse?
I wish I had a $10 spot...for every time a "horse" has been referenced on the forums lately. :D

FinLuver

There will be a discussion, and quite possibly a vote on this at the Washington Fish & Wildlife Commission meeting in Spokane this Saturday at 9 A.M. It's being held at the Ramada Inn near the Spokane International Airport. If you can make it, be sure to sign in and testify on behalf of conservation and common-sense.

Department staff has stonewalled the implementation process of the original Columbia River gillnet reforms, and no effort/progress was made on buybacks, monitoring, etc, despite past Commission objectives. Status quo is their preferred operation model, so no surprise.

I think it's a great idea to tell them what you think about their proposed fee increase and the renewal of the CR Endorsement... especially in light of their actions.

Finally, remember the real issue is who is appointed to the Commission by the Governor and his Natural Resources advisors. The makeup of the Commission has changed dramatically in Washington over the past few years, and it's not for the better.
Making it easily accessed for all to attend, I see. ;)

No, I did not say that influence could only be paddled by investment. I said if you want to have a say with regard to what a Board of Directors does in any given corporation you should buy stock and go to the shareholders meeting. In capitalism, the most effective way to pedal influence is to take your dollar bill to the competitor.

Shad

True. So you message needs to be directed to the Governor, such as -- "WTF are YOUR appointees doing? Why are they abandoning conservation, the public trust, and turning their back on the sport fishing industry which employs thousands of citizens throughout the Northwest?"
I've been active in sportfishing advocacy for over 10 years, and this year, I gave up. I learned just how severely stacked the deck truly is. I'm done wasting my time.

Governor Inslee appointed Kehoe to the Commission. What does that tell you about Inslee's allegiances in this "fight?"

Nobody who can affect change wants it to happen, so you may as well sit back and enjoy whatever's left of your chance to fish for salmon. I know that's a shitty way to think, but I've seen defeat snatched from the jaws of victory enough times to realize that as long as people want to eat commercial salmon, that market will remain priority one, over sportfishers, and WELL over the survival of the fish.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
Yes, shining a bright light on this can only help. Very few of the general public know that commercial gillnetting is going on. Since most of the netting seasons are at night the public doesn't see it.

Another point is that the netters are refusing to allow observers on their boats.
lets be fair about this are the sport vessels required to have observers aboard to see if they release native fish promptly & properly. all I see here is one user group is trying to cut the other user group out of the catch quota so they can harvest those fish for themselves. the end result is still a dead fish !