Commercial gill netting on the Columbia

Shawn Seeger

(aka. wabowhunter)
During a conversation this weekend, it came up that very few sportsmen actually contact their legislators it the governor's office.

So... I am asking you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE... Use the simple link and do your part (it's not about CCA, PSA, NSIA, etc) it's about the WDFW and Governor's appointees giving the ESA fish and conservation the finger... So please use the link

https://www.votervoice.net/CCAPNW/Campaigns/63955/Respond

Buzzy

During a conversation this weekend, it came up that very few sportsmen actually contact their legislators it the governor's office.

So... I am asking you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE... Use the simple link and do your part (it's not about CCA, PSA, NSIA, etc) it's about the WDFW and Governor's appointees giving the ESA fish and conservation the finger... So please use the link

https://www.votervoice.net/CCAPNW/Campaigns/63955/Respond
Thanks. Done. Might not hurt to send a couple emails/letters to each.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
My old man died 18 years ago...this was a hot topic for long before that... This shit after a two year moratorium would have truly pissed him off...

In the WA Legislature, SB 5617 is the bill to ban gillnets. It has broad support but commercial interests are pulling out all the stops to defeat it. Legislators need to hear from their constituents.

The sample letter above (post 34) is about the DFW commissioners proposing to rollback the Columbia River reforms.

So on one hand, there is strong support in the WA Legislature to end commercial gillnetting while on the other what may be a narrow majority of DFW commissioners are actually seeking to increase commercial gillnetting.
The problem here is there is tribal opposition to this bill, which will more than likely kill it. I'm pretty sure the tribes see this as one step closer to restricting their treaty rights, I have no first hand knowledge so it's jus a guess.

Shad

Really tired of hearing gillnetters/ex-gillnetters ask us "What about the people who don't fish but want to eat fish?"

Really?

I spend a lot of my own money on going fishing, and there's no guarantee I'm bringing home food. Indeed, I probably only catch a harvestable fish 1 trip in 10. Yet, somehow, the non-fishing public is entitled to salmon at market price whenever they get the whim? We don't sell elk and deer meat at grocery stores. Why is that? I would argue they're not any worse off than salmon in terms of historical abundance.

Finally, isn't the 50% or more of harvestable fish bound for the Columbia taken in trawl fisheries enough to meet market demand? If not, surely the Tribal fisheries make up that difference, right?

All this said, I think the commercial and recreational fishing in the ocean is what's most unsustainable. At least with gillnets, we fish over fully grown fish in their systems of origin (another way to say it would be we know what stocks we're catching, and each fish will return maximum commercial value due to maximized size). Given the choice of cutting out ocean rec fisheries or NT Columbia gillnet fisheries, I sincerely believe my fishing would benefit a lot more from ending the ocean rec fisheries, messed up as that sounds. I have friends who fish the ocean, and I've been fortunate enough to join them a few times. No doubt, it's fun to fish over heavily feeding chromers all day, but too much sorting through unmarked fish, most of which will die after release, gets a little tough on the sensibilities, and I'm sure it's really tough on the fish.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
Really tired of hearing gillnetters/ex-gillnetters ask us "What about the people who don't fish but want to eat fish?"

Really?

I spend a lot of my own money on going fishing, and there's no guarantee I'm bringing home food. Indeed, I probably only catch a harvestable fish 1 trip in 10. Yet, somehow, the non-fishing public is entitled to salmon at market price whenever they get the whim? We don't sell elk and deer meat at grocery stores. Why is that? I would argue they're not any worse off than salmon in terms of historical abundance.

Finally, isn't the 50% or more of harvestable fish bound for the Columbia taken in trawl fisheries enough to meet market demand? If not, surely the Tribal fisheries make up that difference, right?

All this said, I think the commercial and recreational fishing in the ocean is what's most unsustainable. At least with gillnets, we fish over fully grown fish in their systems of origin (another way to say it would be we know what stocks we're catching, and each fish will return maximum commercial value due to maximized size). Given the choice of cutting out ocean rec fisheries or NT Columbia gillnet fisheries, I sincerely believe my fishing would benefit a lot more from ending the ocean rec fisheries, messed up as that sounds. I have friends who fish the ocean, and I've been fortunate enough to join them a few times. No doubt, it's fun to fish over heavily feeding chromers all day, but too much sorting through unmarked fish, most of which will die after release, gets a little tough on the sensibilities, and I'm sure it's really tough on the fish.
the U.S. commercial fleet is not allowed to gillnet in the ocean for salmon only trolling is permitted. As a former trawler, the hand full of salmon we caught is not going to supply any restaurant for long, it don't matter were or by who the fish is caught it's still a dead fish. if you want the fish to make a come back stop fishing them period otherwise you are just attempting to outlaw somebody else to increase your share of fish. it's that simple !

how do we know if they never do it ? the other methods aren't working, about time we try something new like leave the fish a lone

I imagine some would be in favor of this if it also included removing tribal fishing. Seems it wouldn't be a realistic test of the concept of leaving fish alone, if not all of us left the fish alone. Of course that isn't going to happen, so the whole concept is kinda bunk IMO.

Latest posts