Trip Report Fly Fishing Montana: Clark Canyon Reservoir at Ice Out

Highlights of the day in a music video montage.
Clark Canyon Reservoir 1 April 2018 7.jpg
Early April. Cold but beautiful. This was 2018 with record ice thickness so Ice was still on the lake in early April
Clark Canyon Reservoir 1 April 2018 6.jpg
Fished with Black and Olive Wolly Buggers
Clark Canyon Reservoir 1 April 2018 4.jpg
Fishing was slow but the fish we caught were very nice.
Clark Canyon Reservoir 1 April 2018 11.jpg
We caught ten fish in two days.
Clark Canyon Reservoir 1 April 2018 9.jpg
Loved the sunset. We fished from the East shore along Highway 15 south of Beaverhead Campground. We just waded out and fished from shore but it was so cold that it would have been good to fish from a small watercraft. We just cast out as close to the ice as we could and stripped flies back. Used Dry lines and a five foot sink tip line. Both worked.

Buzzy

I watched your program on TV last weekend, one thing that amazes me about you guys is your lack of gloves. I get numb hands looking at you releasing these beautiful trout! Nicely done!

I'm wondering if there will be any open water during the same time frame this year?

I'm wondering if there will be any open water during the same time frame this year?[/QUOTE said:
Eightball says- "Not likely"

When we lived in Butte I often fished Clark Canyon at ice off. It was weird fishing the open water while watching guys ice fishing the deep water by the dam for burbot. The Mosolff brothers would wade in snowmobile suits!

THE KINGS OF HOTSPOTTING.... BUT HEY WHO CARES ABOUT ALL THE LOCALS.. AT LEAST YOU HAVE A TV SHOW.. ID WAGER THERE WILL BE A LOT OF NEW PEOPLE WHO GO FISH CLARK CANYON AT ICE OUT JUST BECAUSE YOU GUYS... OUT OF ALL THE SOCIAL MEDIA/ TV SHOWS YOU GUYS RUIN SPOTS MORE THEN ANYTHING... WAY TO GO... CAN'T YOU JUST LEAVE NAMES OF PLACES OUT OF YOUR SHOW? YOU 2 HAVE PUT MORE SUPER SPECIAL SPOTS THAT LOCALS KEEP UNDER WRAPS ON BLAST THEN ANYONE AND IT MAKES ME SICK.

troutpocket

I’ve had my butt kicked by wind and slow fishing several times on the big CC Res. Don’t see the draw of a long drive to stand in barely thawed water next to the freeway. I’d rather get in line with the other boats to fish the channels later in the season. But I enjoyed the video!

Old406Kid

THE KINGS OF HOTSPOTTING.... BUT HEY WHO CARES ABOUT ALL THE LOCALS.. AT LEAST YOU HAVE A TV SHOW.. ID WAGER THERE WILL BE A LOT OF NEW PEOPLE WHO GO FISH CLARK CANYON AT ICE OUT JUST BECAUSE YOU GUYS... OUT OF ALL THE SOCIAL MEDIA/ TV SHOWS YOU GUYS RUIN SPOTS MORE THEN ANYTHING... WAY TO GO... CAN'T YOU JUST LEAVE NAMES OF PLACES OUT OF YOUR SHOW? YOU 2 HAVE PUT MORE SUPER SPECIAL SPOTS THAT LOCALS KEEP UNDER WRAPS ON BLAST THEN ANYONE AND IT MAKES ME SICK.
Beats having to work a real job.:rolleyes:

I watched your program on TV last weekend, one thing that amazes me about you guys is your lack of gloves. I get numb hands looking at you releasing these beautiful trout! Nicely done!

I'm wondering if there will be any open water during the same time frame this year?
I think it could be about the same but something needs to change soon. Frontier Anglers is a good palce to ask and check on conditions.

Sorry you feel that way.

Latest posts