Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bamboo Fling

Bamboo 
5K views 126 replies 18 participants last post by  treefrog 
#1 ·
Last May we had our second annual bamboo fling in mid-May. There were 10 or 12 of us that showed up and wiggled the rods and cast as many as we could. There were new rods, some old rods and a couple of very old rods. The important thing – we all had a good time and some of us went fishing afterwards.

It is time to think about our third annual bamboo fling. Early May is a good time, the local lakes still have a lot of fish and it is not yet too hot. I am looking for recommendations for a location. Last year’s event was on the west side of the sound so it makes since to have this year’s event on the Seattle side of the sound. Reeltrout has suggested Cascade View Park in Redmond, WA. I have never been there, so I don’t have an opinion as of yet. We need a lawn to cast the rods and a place to set up a couple of tables and a few chairs and we can’t forget about parking. The date and location is open.

What say you.

#3 ·
We've had bamboo rod gatherings at Cascade View Park three times I think. It has all the grass room you could want. There is no pavilion. It is just a bunch of sports fields an general open space. Bring chairs, tables and whatever else you think you need.

TC

#4 ·
Is there a boat launch at Cascade View Park? I was unaware that we have had more than two bamboo gatherings. Good to see this has been going for a few years. When we schedule a day, Sat. and Sun. May 11th and 12 are off because of Mothers Day. Most of us would be in trouble if we did anything on Mothers Day weekend.

#5 ·
I'm down for it! I'll request the day / weekend off once it's decided. I fine just about anytime in May! Hopefully will have a new job by then and won't be working weekends!

Reactions: Bob Triggs
#6 · (Edited)
There is no boat launch because there is no water. It is as described. A large open grass covered area. Lake Sammamish and Cottage Lake are within a few miles.

It is entirely possible that this WFF group has only met there twice. I have been there for the same purpose with small groups of friends not associated with WFF on a number of other occasions.

#16 · (Edited)
I received several suggestions for a location for this year's Bamboo Fling. The one that stood out for me was Rattlesnake Lake near North Bend WA. The date of May 18th looks good.

Take 90 east and take exit 32, about 3 miles southeast of North Bend and about 35 miles east of Seattle. The lake is about 111-acres with picnic areas and plenty of parking. Rattlesnake Lake is spring-fed by the nearby Cedar River. There appears to be a lot of stumps around the shore with lots of shore access with no development (houses).

Rules and Regulations:
  • Open dawn to dusk, year-round. Parking is free.
  • NO camping or open fires.
  • Private or exclusive events (gatherings, celebrations, weddings, etc.) of 30 or more people are prohibited.
  • Portable toilets and lakefront picnic areas. NO drinking water.
  • Water is available at the Cedar River Watershed Education Center.
  • Boat launch: Self-propelled and electric boat motors only.
  • Fishing: Year-round, Washington State selective gear rules apply.
What say you?

Jerry

#18 ·
Steve, never been there. We can still move the location. The other locations were Rattlesnake Lake near North Bend, Lone Lake on Whidbey Island, Lake Tye/Chain Lake, Monroe and Silver Lake in Everett. I am sure there are others, but I am not familiar with the possibilities on your side of the sound. I am open.

#21 ·
Steve's (and Tim's) comment on crowds is wise. I think its best to avoid crowds, especially with valuable bamboo rods sitting around. The same probably holds for Silver Lake, Lake Tye, Lone. Maybe go back to last year's location? Or to the Redmond park from two years ago? (nobody else was at that park).

#24 ·
Tom, alternating between the Seattle side of the sound and Kitsap side is exactly what I would like see happen. That way more people might be able to participate. As mentioned I am willing to host it in Silverdale again. Is someone willing to host it at the park in Redmond? It doesn't take a big effort. Just make sure the park is available, pick a date (May 18th is good), arrange for a couple of tables and it is a go. The park should have a grass area for casting and adequate parking. The park in Redmond has what is required. A lake would be a nice extra, either at the park or close by.

#25 ·
Well it has been a little more than a week since I posted anything regarding the Bamboo

Fling. No one has stepped up to host the event. So I will try to get it together from the

west side of the sound.

The location will be Cascade View Park in Redmond, where we have had it before.

The date will be May 18th with a starting time of 10AM.

I may be a little late because of the long drive for me to get there, but I am sure one of

you will be there to get things going. Google Maps says I should be able to drive there

in a little more than an hour. In 2017 it took me almost 2 ½ hours because of traffic.

I will bring a cooler with a few sodas and water. If you want a beer or 2 bring your

favorite (if the park allows).

For those that want to fish we can figure that out that day. It would be nice if those of

you that build rods show us your work. I would particularly like to see just how Steve

puts his morticed handles together.

Bring your ideas for dates and locations for 2020. I would like bring it back to

Silverdale next year.

Tight lines to all.

#26 ·
Now that a date and time have been chosen there is no further need to appoint a host. It's a BYO event in all respects. Cascade View Neighborhood Park is open 24/7. No reservations are available or needed for this park. All typical and expected community park rules apply.

TC

Reactions: Mike Monsos
#27 ·
I'm planning on being there, thanks Jerry for getting this going again. I'll add a notice on the Classic Rod Forum Events section in case anyone local is not already on this Board and would like to attend. I hope to bring:

- 8' Lyon & Coulson 3/2 1-1/2f "light trout" taper by Heddon, refinished by Michael Sinclair

- 8-1/2' Heddon #60 refinished by Scott Whitman

- 8-1/2' Phillipson Dry Fly Special labeled as a "Bean Dry Fly Rod"

- and maybe one more rod...

Tight lines, Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.