Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bamboo Fling

Bamboo 
5K views 126 replies 18 participants last post by  treefrog 
#1 ·
Last May we had our second annual bamboo fling in mid-May. There were 10 or 12 of us that showed up and wiggled the rods and cast as many as we could. There were new rods, some old rods and a couple of very old rods. The important thing – we all had a good time and some of us went fishing afterwards.

It is time to think about our third annual bamboo fling. Early May is a good time, the local lakes still have a lot of fish and it is not yet too hot. I am looking for recommendations for a location. Last year’s event was on the west side of the sound so it makes since to have this year’s event on the Seattle side of the sound. Reeltrout has suggested Cascade View Park in Redmond, WA. I have never been there, so I don’t have an opinion as of yet. We need a lawn to cast the rods and a place to set up a couple of tables and a few chairs and we can’t forget about parking. The date and location is open.

What say you.

#104 · (Edited)
Enjoyed the cast-around immensely. Great to meet all of you. Some personal highlights.

Ron's slooooow FE Thomas 8'6". Wet fly swing, here we come.

Dennis Worley's 8'6" 7 weight Holbrook. Lots of power for summer runs or coastal cutts.

The 7'10" Monsos 6 weight. Great up short and at a distance.

Lee's 8'? Payne. Don't think I've ever cast a nicer 8 footer.

#105 · (Edited)
Thanks to all for joining us today! It sure was fun to see old friends and make new ones.
Here's a few images to help you remember the great day we had.

Attachments

#109 ·
I got home an immediately did a search for Holbrook Bamboo. Evidently he made the rods from the 40's to the 70's in Seattle. Another addition to the want list.

#112 ·
What a great time, I really enjoyed casting some different rods and talking cane with old and new friends. There were some really amazing rods that were lined and ready to cast if you wished. There is no better way to find a rod that suits your casting personality than a event like this. What a fun day, thanks for the pictures Kent. I'm already looking forward to next year and I plan to have the Payne and Leonard done by then plus a couple more I have in mind to share if all goes as planned.

Mike

#116 ·
I really enjoyed today's get together. Lots of great rods and great people. I'm already looking forward to the next one. I should have a bunch of new rods done by then.

TC

#123 ·
I am sorry I missed out on this experience. I would have enjoyed trying out some rods
I just started researching the world of bamboo. It's kinda overwhelming. I have a Winston 3 wt, 8.5 foot IIx boron. A casting profile I would describe as moderately fast which I like. Is there anything approaching this casting profile in the 3wt bamboo world?

#126 ·
I am sorry I missed out on this experience. I would have enjoyed trying out some rods
I just started researching the world of bamboo. It's kinda overwhelming. I have a Winston 3 wt, 8.5 foot IIx boron. A casting profile I would describe as moderately fast which I like. Is there anything approaching this casting profile in the 3wt bamboo world?
Dan, from my limited experience 3 weight bamboo at any length and 8-1/2' rods less than 5 weight are both rare and relatively slow action. Popular light line bamboo models seem to be 4 weights of 7-1/2-8' length and 3 weights seem to be made at 6-1/2-7-1/2'. My guess is a longer 8-1/2' 3 weight would push the limits of the material to flex and recover given it's inherently heavier weight compared to graphite.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.