Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bamboo Fling

Bamboo 
5K views 126 replies 18 participants last post by  treefrog 
#1 ·
Last May we had our second annual bamboo fling in mid-May. There were 10 or 12 of us that showed up and wiggled the rods and cast as many as we could. There were new rods, some old rods and a couple of very old rods. The important thing – we all had a good time and some of us went fishing afterwards.

It is time to think about our third annual bamboo fling. Early May is a good time, the local lakes still have a lot of fish and it is not yet too hot. I am looking for recommendations for a location. Last year’s event was on the west side of the sound so it makes since to have this year’s event on the Seattle side of the sound. Reeltrout has suggested Cascade View Park in Redmond, WA. I have never been there, so I don’t have an opinion as of yet. We need a lawn to cast the rods and a place to set up a couple of tables and a few chairs and we can’t forget about parking. The date and location is open.

What say you.

#29 ·
Some nice comments. I was a little worried that nothing new was posted for a week.

I hope to see your rods and thanks for notice on the Classic Rod Form, Ron. Richard,

I know what you mean about driving I-5. Years ago I lived in the San Francisco Bay

Area, after living up here for almost 30 years I am no longer accustom to the traffic.

I am planning to go to the National Fishing Lure Collectors Club/ORCA show in Kelso

April 6th. I might find some bamboo there. If you are interested check out www.nflcc.org.

#39 ·
Lookin good so far. We have 12 or so people that are expressing interest. Don't forget to let your clubs know. I know we have a lot of people that can't figure out why we want to fish bamboo. But if you ask any fly fishermen he will tell you he has a bamboo rod or two in the garage. It was his dad's, granddad's or maybe an uncle, but he has one.

#40 ·
Nothing been posted for a week or so. I hope everyone is still on. I am going to the NELCC show in Kelso on the 6th of April. I was told there may be a few good deals on some old bamboo rods and reels to go with them. If I connect with some good deals I will show them off at the Fling. Still looking for Steve and Lou to sign on.

#43 ·
I went to the NELCC show in Kelso yesterday. Picked up 3 new rods, a Granger, a Heddon and an Orvis. All three are ready to fish. If you are in need of a new bamboo rod I would recommend going next year. I will be bringing all 3 to the fling. I hope to go next year - with more money. Can never have enough bamboo. I hope what ever is said here stays here.

#44 ·
A quick Google search for NELCC brings up the Namibia Entrepreneurial Leadership Community College. I'm guessing the show you attended had a different focus.

TC

Reactions: para_adams
#45 ·
Tim, sorry about posting the wrong acronym. Try NFLCC.

Granger Champion with 2 tips. Looks like it is in gently used original condition, the cork looks like it has been cleaned. No tube

Heddon #20 with 2 tips. Looks to be in gently used original condition, the cork looks like it has been cleaned. With proper tube

Orvis Battenkill #75192 with 2 tips. Looks like is has caught a fish or two in original condition, the cork looks like it has been cleaned. With proper tube in functional but ruff condition.

#46 ·
Well it is a little more than a month to go. As mentioned last week I picked up 3 rods to show off. I will be trying to match them up with reels. I have an idea of the line weights, but wouldn't mind some advice as to what line to use on them. What a bamboo rod could handle 60 years ago might be very different today. Not sure if there are any bod builders planning to come, I am terrible at remembering names. If there are I would like to see your tools and work. See you all at Cascade View Park in Redmond on May 18th.

#47 ·
Jerry, from my personal experience the best thing to do with bamboo rods is to try out various lines and see how the rods cast with them. Some rods can cast well with multiple line weights. Some rods cast well with different line tapers. Other rods can be finicky and perform poorly until you find the right line (both weight and taper) and then that rod may really blow you away.

#49 ·
Mike it would be the tools (the wood forms) made by you that I would be most interested in seeing. We would all like to hear how you got started building rods. Few of us have the kind of money it takes to go out and buy a set of planning forms and the rest of the tools required.

See you soon Mike

Jerry

#57 ·
I have a request. Actually two requests. Okay maybe three

1. If anyone has a Granger either Goodwin or Wright & McGill or even a Phillipson in 7 1\2' or 8'. Preferably 7 1\2. I'd really like to cast one in that length.

2. A rod based on the Powell B taper. Either original or lightly modified. Any length.

3. This one's a long shot. A Gillum. Any size and/or weight.

Thanks
Tim

#68 ·
I've got a 7'6" impregnated phillipson which I might bring.

Tim, you're talking about my favorite rods. I'll bring my 8' Phillipson Pacemaker "HEH", my WM Granger 7633 Aristocrat and to give you another rod to try a Heddon 8' 3/2 #20 in the 1-1/2f taper. I'll let someone else come up with the Gillum! Looking forward to the gathering.
Everyone should show up at the Bamboo fling to have the chance to cast para adams WM Granger 7633. I did yesterday. Amazing!

Reactions: para_adams
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.