Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bamboo Fling

Bamboo 
5K views 126 replies 18 participants last post by  treefrog 
#1 ·
Last May we had our second annual bamboo fling in mid-May. There were 10 or 12 of us that showed up and wiggled the rods and cast as many as we could. There were new rods, some old rods and a couple of very old rods. The important thing – we all had a good time and some of us went fishing afterwards.

It is time to think about our third annual bamboo fling. Early May is a good time, the local lakes still have a lot of fish and it is not yet too hot. I am looking for recommendations for a location. Last year’s event was on the west side of the sound so it makes since to have this year’s event on the Seattle side of the sound. Reeltrout has suggested Cascade View Park in Redmond, WA. I have never been there, so I don’t have an opinion as of yet. We need a lawn to cast the rods and a place to set up a couple of tables and a few chairs and we can’t forget about parking. The date and location is open.

What say you.

#62 ·
Tim, you're talking about my favorite rods. I'll bring my 8' Phillipson Pacemaker "HEH", my WM Granger 7633 Aristocrat and to give you another rod to try a Heddon 8' 3/2 #20 in the 1-1/2f taper. I'll let someone else come up with the Gillum! Looking forward to the gathering.

#72 ·
I think I'll also bring two more rods. A Phillipson Master HEH 7-1/2' 5 weight fiberglass and my restored Heddon 8-1/2' #60 2f. The fiberglass Phillipson is a point and shoot caster. Just look at a spot 50-60 feet away and your line hits the target. My only issue with this rod is the way it puts my bamboo rods to shame. I hope it doesn't get me flung out of our fling. And my Heddon #60 is a functional work of art. It'll be fun to show and cast it. It really exemplifies how sweet the Heddon tapers can be.

#66 ·
I'm hoping to call in a Para 14 that my brother in-law bought that I made for shared casting, I love that taper myself. I'll have my Dickerson 7613 clone and also my first rod the Sir D. I also have a compound taper that I designed for a friend that is interesting to cast, short or long. Hard to explain, you just have to cast it.

Mike

Mike

#69 ·
With about 3 weeks to go it is nice to see the posts. I will be bringing a Granger Champion, a Heddon # 20, a Orvis Battenkill #75192 and a Dickerson and a couple of others. My back has been giving me fits for the last few months so I am not planning on bringing a boat or fishing this year, damn.

Keep it reel

Jerry

#71 ·
I can add to Jerry's Dickerson offering with a modified (and IMHO improved), Dickerson 8013 by the late Steve Kiley.

Reactions: para_adams
#74 ·
About 2 weeks to go. I got really interested in bamboo a couple of years ago when Steve Kokita was talking about a shorty challenge, rods 6 feet or under. I went out and ordered a 6' blank a put a rod together for the challenge. Now Steve comes up with an other twist a “stick rod” challenge. I hope Steve is able to come to the fling this year and show us his brand new "stick rod".

#77 ·
Steve did that black bamboo come from your yard? If so I'll be happy to help you out when it out grows it's yard space.

#81 · (Edited)
Mr Hexrod himself. I look forward to meeting you Frank.

Be aware that this is a small and very informal group. Unlike the larger gatherings there is no particular format or program.

TC

Reactions: para_adams
#88 ·
Tomorrow is the big day. Hope to see you all at Cascade View Park in Redmond at 10AM.

I will bring a cooler with a few sodas and water. If you want a beer or 2 bring your favorite (if the park allows).

Bring your ideas for dates and locations for 2020. I would like bring it back to west side of the sound next year.

Mike Monsos, you asked me to remind you to bring your wood form and the tools that you made to make your rods. I would like to see your work. I hope you bring one or two of your own creations.

See you all tomorrow

Jerry

#90 ·
I would like to suggest to everyone, that if you plan to cast some rods, pick a target of say 50 feet or less. Cast the rod for accuracy and presentation, not distance. Take some time to feel the rod's personality. Yes a bamboo fly rod can cast a lot of line, but that is not what it's all about. Leave the distance casting to the plastic rods and use the bamboo for the joy of the casting rhythm and presentation.

Mike

#91 ·
I agree 100%.
It is tremendously helpful to have a target. Bring a handful of paper plates and set them out starting at 25-30ft and ending at 50-55ft. Don't move on to the next one until you can hit the first one. If you're casting is off that day you might settle for just laying your line across the plate as opposed to landing your fly on the plate.

If possible set your plates out at random points in an arc. Pick the fly up off the plate at 10° to your left and land it on the plate 20° to your right with as few false casts as possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.