Trip Report Skinny water agates and cutthroat

Very nice!!!!
Being a rock hounder myself I want to know where you found those purdy rocks. PM if ya want to share.
Also looks like some petrified wood in your finds

Yes,
Living here in Wenatchee, we find petrified wood in many places south of Rock Island. On both sides of the Columbia
Depending on where you found that. It could have been walked there by the ancients that traded for arrow head material

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Nice! I sometimes search for beach agates out here, after the surf has been big and subtly rearranging the beach. They are usually about the size of the ones you found, but more polished. Nice cutthroat!
I find petrified wood on the beach, too.

Its really tough to beat the jaundiced-eyed crowd of old timers to the gravel bars...they have nothing better to do but get there early and hope to be first hogs at the trough...which yields nearly nothing these days. The dredge spoils from harbor dredging get dumped outside the Jetty so they will get washed in and "nourish the beach" to the south of the Jetty. All Spring, Summer, and Fall until the Winter swells hit, the sand dredged from inside the harbor gets dumped outside of the tip of the South Jetty, and gets pushed toward the beach by the shorter period small swells and surf action. That keeps the beach nourish, but the gravel bars are mainly buried. The winter swells can't really exhume the agate bars. Sometimes a good agate pops up, though.

Yes,
Living here in Wenatchee, we find petrified wood in many places south of Rock Island. On both sides of the Columbia
Depending on where you found that. It could have been walked there by the ancients that traded for arrow head material
man this has me realllly wanting creek season to open here on west side....two months away, two long months. 3 wt. on skinny water is my favorite type of fly fishing. Thanks for sharing.

PS- The wife and I finally stopped at that petrified forest museum just over the Columbia on I90, it was actually very cool and worth a stop. It's free to boot.

Last edited:
man this has me realllly wanting creek season to open here on west side....two months away, two long months. 3 wt. on skinny water is my favorite type of fly fishing. Thanks for sharing.

PS- The wife and I finally stopped at that petrified forest museum just over the Columbia on I90, it was actually very cool and worth a stop. It's free to boot.
Any walk about in the hills on the west side of the Columbia river will put you into petrified wood. Some of the area on the north side of the I90 is closed to picking up pieces.
I went out to RF last week, but it's not the same as skinny water, wild trout on a 3wt

Latest posts