Trip Report Skinny water agates and cutthroat

Not trying to hijack this thread, hope the OP does not mind, but since we are talking cool rocks and petrified wood, here is my best chunk of petrified wood to date. Fishing a creek that had an occasional agate like the reddish one shown, but few and far between, I stumbled across the 50 pound chunk of petrified wood. Not something I was looking for.

Had a small slingpack on that day so it was cradle it or leave it... so after about 10 yards it was "leave it" with plans to come back and get it. It was about 2 miles up a creek and a 1 1/4 hour drive to home.

I figured I would come back in a week and get the piece. After a night thinking of it, yep, back early the next day. Brought a padded backpack. Up the creek I went. Ofcourse, could not recognize where I left it-hid it too well from myself! Had to go up the creek and walk back because that was the direction I had found it the night before. FINALLY, found it and packed home.

Not a comfy walk, poked me to no end, no matter how many times I stopped and reloaded.

The cool part of the agatized/jasperized piece is that it has worm holes. Some creature burrowed into it *while it was wood, so, if the wood is 40 million years old, the bugs were the same age, and there are some little fossilized guys still possibly in the holes.

Need a saw to get a good cross-section, it has very nice lines of red and yellow jasper/agate.

Would love to make a sphere out of the main chunk, and have the ends for display

Last edited:

SHD

Not trying to hijack this thread, hope the OP does not mind, but since we are talking cool rocks and petrified wood, here is my best chunk of petrified wood to date. Fishing a creek that had an occasional agate like the reddish one shown, but few and far between, I stumbled across the 50 pound chunk of petrified wood. Not something I was looking for.

View attachment 197065
View attachment 197070 View attachment 197071 View attachment 197072
Had a small slingpack on that day so it was cradle it or leave it... so after about 10 yards it was "leave it" with plans to come back and get it. It was about 2 miles up a creek and a 1 1/4 hour drive to home.

I figured I would come back in a week and get the piece. After a night thinking of it, yep, back early the next day. Brought a padded backpack. Up the creek I went. Ofcourse, could not recognize where I left it-hid it too well from myself! Had to go up the creek and walk back because that was the direction I had found it the night before. FINALLY, found it and packed home.

Not a comfy walk, poked me to no end, no matter how many times I stopped and reloaded.

The cool part of the agatized/jasperized piece is that it has worm holes. Some creature burrowed into it *while it was wood, so, if the wood is 40 million years old, the bugs were the same age, and there are some little fossilized guys still possibly in the holes.

Need a saw to get a good cross-section, it has very nice lines of red and yellow jasper/agate.

Would love to make a sphere out of the main chunk, and have the ends for display

View attachment 197074
That's rad man, thanks for sharing!

SHD

View attachment 197065
View attachment 197070 View attachment 197071 View attachment 197072

View attachment 197074
I'm no expert on geology, perhaps you or someone else on here could help with an ID on the rock below? Found in a coastal Oregon river a few years ago. The yellow/red/lilac color stood out amongst the other rocks so I figured it might be something cool. Has quartz running through it too. Any thoughts?

IMG_2372.JPG IMG_2374.JPG

I'm no expert on geology, perhaps you or someone else on here could help with an ID on the rock below? Found in a coastal Oregon river a few years ago. The yellow/red/lilac color stood out amongst the other rocks so I figured it might be something cool. Has quartz running through it too. Any thoughts?

View attachment 197108 View attachment 197109
Cool piece.
My brother is a geologist, and would say, "Si02", which covers anything in the agate, jasper, quartz, opal, spectrum.

That piece is what I would call, generally, Jasper, the same as my petrified wood, the only difference is in the petrified wood, the wood was replaced cell for cell with Silicate, the Si02. The difference with a cross section of your rock with mine, is the wood patterns, the rings to the wood, the grain of the wood is kept eventhough all is now rock.

The one middle ground is when you have a piece of wood, or fossil, that leaves an empty cavity and it fills with the material but not cell-for-cell, so it will have the outside shape of the fossil, but the internals were not saved.
There you have a casting (like the Blue Lake Rhino in WA State)

Agate/Carnelian is clearer Si02 where the jasper has impurities in it.

I will dig through my photos and find the coolest of all, a Carnelian agate geode that has a cavity within agate and has the "teeth" of the formed crystals.

Any true geologist, please, step in and clean up my explanation

Last edited:
Wow, amazing!!
Here is an interesting find, as mentioned above, fossils can be cell by cell replacement by minerals, or the creature may disappear and leave only an outer impression- an empty cast, that later fills in like a cake mix.

This is an agate -filled, bivalve clam cast. Usually I find the fossil shell intact, white in color, but these are really neat.

Last edited:

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Nice agates, Gyrfalcon! I like the way the red hue of that large Carnelian in post #22 contrasts nicely with the ghastly white of your palm:D. Water cold? Dang it...now I'm going to have to photograph some of my better beach agates and other minor curiosities washed in by the surf and tides.
That petrified log of yours sure was an awesome find!

Last edited:
Nice agates, Gyrfalcon! I like the way the red hue of that large Carnelian in post #22 contrasts nicely with the ghastly white of your palm:D. Water cold? Dang it...now I'm going to have to photograph some of my better beach agates and other minor curiosities washed in by the surf and tides.
That petrified log of yours sure was an awesome find!
It was very cold, it looked warm in the "fake news" Sun, there were icicles in the shade, that, and my Scandinavian albinism can make any color pop out in photos : )

Yes! Share your beachcombing Pirate's booty ! (I hope Jim knows what I mean ! : )

Here is an interesting find, as mentioned above, fossils can be cell by cell replacement by minerals, or the creature may disappear and leave only an outer impression- an empty cast, that later fills in like a cake mix.

This is an agate -filled, bivalve clam cast. Usually I find the fossil shell intact, white in color, but these are really neat.

View attachment 197717
About 50 yrs ago on a day of deer hunting in the hills SE of the North River bridge off hwy 101 during a natures call stop on a logging road we came a fossil bed unearthed in the making of a skid road Littered with these. Each one was sitting on a pedestal of earth as the rains exposed them. We made attempts to return to this spot for years until vegetation reclaimed the area. That first day we picked up more than 20 in a few minutes.

Last edited:

Latest posts