Dragon fly nymphs

I've got some that float. My late fly fishing mentor and surf buddy, Otis, gave me a couple that had foam bodies. I got a couple in a swap with bodies made from spun deer hair, trimmed to shape. Those need floatant.
The idea is that you fish these floating imitations with a full sink line that sinks to the bottom, and the fly foats up in the pause between long slow strips. The long slow strips pull the dragon nymph back towards the bottom. This supposedly imitates their natural behavior.
I like fishing boobie flys, so I tie dragonfly nymphs with small foam boobie eyes( to keep them in proportion), and craft foam underbody (to make it buoyant) I then go overtop with either chenille, dubbing, straggle string, etc,...maybe a pheasant tail thorax/legs. I've had good success with dark olive/brown/black, fished with a full sink line and 4-5' of fluoro tippet.,

Buzzy

I like fishing boobie flys, so I tie dragonfly nymphs with small foam boobie eyes( to keep them in proportion), and craft foam underbody (to make it buoyant) I then go overtop with either chenille, dubbing, straggle string, etc,...maybe a pheasant tail thorax/legs. I've had good success with dark olive/brown/black, fished with a full sink line and 4-5' of fluoro tippet.,
Would LOVE to see a picture or two........ I really like a floating dragonfly nymph fished deep that "boobies" up on the pause. Curious about your tie.............

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Here is a pictures of patterns I mentioned earlier.
The first one was labeled as a dragon when we bought them, but they also work well as a damsel. Maybe mislabeled, I’m not sure?
I tied up a bunch and they produced.

The second is the filoplume damsel they used to sell at Kaufmann’s.
They worked very well for me all over the state but especially in eastern Washington.
SF

BB55CEFE-D281-4C1C-83D6-3B045D257630.jpeg FAC2E44A-7045-4214-B114-6C18A107D6BA.jpeg

Would LOVE to see a picture or two........ I really like a floating dragonfly nymph fished deep that "boobies" up on the pause. Curious about your tie.............
Here's a pic that (hopefully) explains how I go about it. I punch boobie cores out of a Dollarstore flip flop...round them off with a Dremel cup grindstone...spiral a strip of craft foam up the shank...tie boobie eyes on... overwrap some sort of buggy material overtop..sometimes add pheasant tail legs....and go fishing.

Attachments

Buzzy

Here's a pic that (hopefully) explains how I go about it. I punch boobie cores out of a Dollarstore flip flop...round them off with a Dremel cup grindstone...spiral a strip of craft foam up the shank...tie boobie eyes on... overwrap some sort of buggy material overtop..sometimes add pheasant tail legs....and go fishing.
Thanks! That helps a lot. I tied up one spun/clipped deer hair dragonfly nymph with booby eye. Frankly, spinning deer hair is fun it is the mess from trimming that keeps me from doing it more regularly. Your pattern gives the fly floatation without all the deerhair mess..

Thanks! That helps a lot. I tied up one spun/clipped deer hair dragonfly nymph with booby eye. Frankly, spinning deer hair is fun it is the mess from trimming that keeps me from doing it more regularly. Your pattern gives the fly floatation without all the deerhair mess..
YW...They're really quick to tie, and overwrap with any shade I want. I do well with them on the 'bows.

Paul_

Deer hair dragon nymphs on a type 6 line have become one of my more successful techniques over the last year.

Here’s how I tie the Burnt Dragon-
Spin a bunch of clumps on the hook for the body. It doesn’t have to go on perfectly, just get it on.
E649F4F4-FAC5-43AF-953A-63CFC9EA746B.jpeg

Roughly trim the body to form-
5A430C1A-8F81-49ED-BFC5-F483DB7AD61E.jpeg

Next shape the body with a lighter (best to do outside so you don’t smell out the family). This is a lot quicker and easier than trying to trim it with scissors or a razor blade.
9E852634-4F5B-4C13-A570-631B31FB32B5.jpeg

Finished body-
F82148A9-2D26-4C39-9567-C53222B5FE00.jpeg

Add legs and eyes-
F3054C77-1430-4991-997B-68F51BBD565B.jpeg

I’m lazy and don’t like spinning hair, so I use foam for the head tied bullet style-
F96737B5-999C-402D-B297-041BCFB0DA65.jpeg

The completed Burnt Dragon (I wrap a bit of dubbing behind the head)-
C91AF393-0217-4489-8F1D-52743CEE6649.jpeg

P-FITZ98

8422FDF3-FFA5-4CE4-AC1D-633E4043D7C1.jpeg Left center row( bottom center is also Newbury). I remember fishing with John immediately after he invented the rubber band one, over 20 years ago. Went to Waitts lake and hooked one after another on it. I primarily use damsel or dragon nymphs on a type 3 . Like mentioned earlier, fish hit dragons extra hard.

Latest posts