Who wants to go fishing at Bennett Springs, Missouri on Opening Day?

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
The scene of all those fishermen made me think of you, the gregarious outgoing fisherman . . . , just be sure to practice synchronized casting . . .
Funny thing is, I thought if you as well, and how much you would not enjoy it :)

Kept thinking about all the conflict ;) if there was one guy attempting to swing.

I used to live in St. Louis and fish the Ozarks regularly. The ridiculous thing is, just downstream of that circus is a fly fishing only section of the river, and I've never encountered more than a couple other people on that section. And I've caught a lot of nice fish in there. No idea why people subject themselves to that craziness. There's a ton of great trout fishing in that region and further south.

jasmillo

I don’t know that river but that is not an all that uncommon occurrence on opening days around the country. Below is a screenshot of the opening day Fishing derby on a river in my hometown back east. For most fisherman in the area, it’s a zoo to be avoided at all costs for the first week of the season - especially opening day. It’s a great little tradition for families though - especially those with kids. Plus, within a couple of weeks of the opener it just becomes a fantastic section of river to fish. Daybreak in late summer, a simple box of elk hair caddis and a 4 weight will often bring a dozen or more nice trout to net. DD5B6654-3A86-489A-A6C9-2936DB56E752.jpeg

Fast Action Freddie

Having a drink in The Buff
I don’t know that river but that is not an all that uncommon occurrence on opening days around the country. Below is a screenshot of the opening day Fishing derby on a river in my hometown back east. For most fisherman in the area, it’s a zoo to be avoided at all costs for the first week of the season - especially opening day. It’s a great little tradition for families though - especially those with kids. Plus, within a couple of weeks of the opener it just becomes a fantastic section of river to fish. Daybreak in late summer, a simple box of elk hair caddis and a 4 weight will often bring a dozen or more nice trout to net. View attachment 196089
“especially those with kids” — yeah I used get pretty jacked for opening day at Park Lake as a kid in the 70s ... I guess you don’t focus one the crowds ... when you have limited capacity to focus to begin with. “Where’s trout trout trout Pautskes smell Lays potato chips greasy fingers trout trout light tug on line wait bird sound trout”

Last edited:
I now understand the need for all those casting classes at resorts back east...

And a punch line from an old fishing story, a prize to any of you who can remember:

"Everbody has faith in the Coachman".

Jim B

Reminds me of the old days at Tokul Creek for hatchery steelhead , and the Finch Creek Hatchery at Hoodsport when the chum used to plentiful.....