Any experience, opinions on Moonshine Rod Co.?

Chas Hyatt

I was looking for a fast action 5wt. on a budget and ran across their Midnight special. I'm not familiar with them and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. Are they worth checking out?
Thanks in advance!

Mtbright

I just sold my 5wt midnight special, I did not enjoy the rod. I wanted to support a small company with good customer service, but didn’t fit my style. I think there is better values out there.

The midnight specials do not come with the extra tip or case that the drifter does.

Scott Salzer

previously micro brew
Mt- what rods come with an extra tip? Just wondering.

I did get a replacement tip from Sage due to my stupidity - which is a normal state.

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
I love my midnight special 9’ 8wt. Great rod. Not as fast as my Sages are but I wanted a more progressive action rod. Great nymphing from a boat rod, and it’s a decent beach rod for sharks here roo

Chas Hyatt

I just sold my 5wt midnight special, I did not enjoy the rod. I wanted to support a small company with good customer service, but didn’t fit my style. I think there is better values out there.

The midnight specials do not come with the extra tip or case that the drifter does.[/QUOTE

I'm open to suggestions, I'm relatively new and looking for a rod to lift full sink line on stillwater for trout, I have most other bases covered.

Chas Hyatt

I'm open to suggestions. I'm fairly new and looking for a rod to lift a full sink line on Stillwater for trout.

Mtbright

I have 3 5wts, sage 590 x and 486 sp and my old fenwick hmg. The sp was a used rod but it is my favorite rod.

The are others like Redington tfo and so on the others could give more info on.

Go cast some rods and what you like

Matt

Richard E

I'm open to suggestions. I'm fairly new and looking for a rod to lift a full sink line on Stillwater for trout.
If you’re new to this, my recommendation is to go with a long-established company that you feel will likely be around in 5-10 years if (probably when) you need customer service. TFO, Sage, Orvis, Redington, Loomis - all provide top notch service, a wide variety of products at different price points, and will likely be around in the foreseeable business horizon.

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
Stilly, I am happy to hear positive comments from them.
They were great to work with- rod looks gorgeous, components aren’t as nice as Sage- but it was a lot cheaper. I like the action of the rods, I have to slow down a bit, but especially for the single hand spey it works out great.
I’ve had mine a few years and it’s held up really well considering I use it more in salt than in fresh. Damn near perfect looking still.

It’s a true 8wt no need to over line it

Chas Hyatt

Thanks everyone. I have 3 Redington 5 wts. and a TFO 8 wt. I really like them for my floating and hover lines, just not so much for full sink. Like mtbright said, I think I'll stick to what I can get my hands on and cast, see what I like.

Rob Allen

If i was looking for a decent fast action 5 wt I'd look at Douglas the dfx 590 is pretty nice.
Not sure how it would handle a full sink line though.
But seeing how such lines should be stripped in roll cast once then picked up and thrown i don't know how much difference that would make

Richard E

If i was looking for a decent fast action 5 wt I'd look at Douglas the dfx 590 is pretty nice.
Not sure how it would handle a full sink line though.
But seeing how such lines should be stripped in roll cast once then picked up and thrown i don't know how much difference that would make
The Douglas LRS, a new model for 2019, is a smooth casting rod with plenty of power, and at MSRP of $249 is a bargain in today’s world.